One of my legs is bigger than the other?

Options
I've been doing strength training and have been consistently losing weight and I've been noticing that one leg is bigger than the other. Is this normal in weight loss/muscle gaining? My weight training is consistent and does not favor one side of my body over the other.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's normal. your body is very rarely 100% symmetrical
  • KF500T
    KF500T Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    But I mean its like one leg is getting all the workout and the other is just shrinking.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Your body will never match 100% on both sides...
    Some people say that if you're right handed, your right side will be bigger...I dunno if I buy that. o.x

If you're doing strength training though, make sure both of your legs are getting equal attention.
    It wasn't until I slowed down that I realized I put at least 70% of my weight on my right side.
    I had to even it out when using the machines at the gym.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It's normal.

One of my thighs is 1/2" bigger than the other. It used to be a whole inch.
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    You need to ensure both legs are worked separately (I have this problem purely because of DVT in my left leg causing all the muscle to disappear over a year). My trainer had me do what I could handle on my left leg and build up from there. I use single leg leg presses 10-12 reps x 3, also lunges alternating and step ups. It has taken a while, and they are nearly at the same strength now and size, but my right leg is going to be a little larger (although on hot days the left one still blows up haha) just because it is the "strong" one... it is normal to favour, you just have to work them equally as much as possible
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, my right foot is bigger than my left. I usually have to buy two different pairs of shoes. They say your dominant side will always be bigger.