Protein?

Options
Does anybody have any tips for protein shakes? I've bought a couple of different mixes but they just end up being very chalkie and taste disgusting. I'm looking for something to substitue either for a meal or a small snack between class and work.

Replies

• bpmartyr
    Options
    Syntha6 by BSN. The mochachinno tastes like heaven.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like Spirutein.
    Vanilla in Orange juice is one of my favorites.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My favorites are...
    4EverFit brand (any flavor!)
    Syntrax Nectar Twisted Cherry
    Allmax Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate - Peanut Butter Chocolate
    No recommendations on a vanilla one. I haven't found one that I really like since they stopped making one that I nommed up for years.

and as far as other tips - I always drink the shake after I make it - not hours later so it is fresh. Also,you may want to try adding some sugar free pudding mixes or syrups.
  • emilymoxey
    Options
    I find adding frozen fruit and making it more of a smoothie really helps with the chalky factor. I ever throw in some baby spinach in there for greens and you don't taste the bitterness because of the sweet fruit.
    My top choice is Isoflex vanilla. yum!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition, Pro Performance or Optimum Nutrition. Stay away from the vanilla unless you are going to add fruit or flavoring (I actually haven't tried the vanilla in any of these just speaking from past bad experiences with other brands).

All the above are super tasty even using water (the PN I get in RTD from Sam's Club so are really convenient for work).
  • littlebuddy03
    Options
    If you have a GNC close by, I love their Total Lean Ready to Drink shakes! I drink one every morning for breakfast and stay full until lunch. They have 25 grams of protein, 170 calories, and are low in sugar/carbs. The swiss chocolate is my favorite. The strawberry has a strange aftertaste about halfway through the bottle and I haven't tried the vanilla yet. GNC runs good sales and typically have these as buy one, get the other 1/2 off.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Isopure saved my life ... at least that's what my DR said. I had a gastric bypass and couldn't absorb enough protein. I had staph, blood clot and pneumonia - they called me Typhoid Mary cause I had almost every thing that they warned against that could happen with the surgery :-(. Anyway, I wasn't recovering properly, so we started using the Isopure brand of protein shake and my health turned around dramatically. The only problem I had was that it was a little gritty in the last couple of sips. Chocolate is good, strawberry is yummy and the vanilla is good with cold coffee. I still keep containers around ... love the stuff and it is almost carb free (I am on a low carb diet).
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I like the Jay Robb line- buy online and in Whole Foods. Choc , vanilla and strawberry. Have an order in for the dreamsicle and tropical flavors. His website has an auto ship program with discounts on shipping etc. I think they are 110 calories and 25 g protein and free of everything else.

I also like the vanilla and chocolate pure protein RTD from Target and local grocery.

Both these lines have protein bars too.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Just to add, I originally had 180 to lose, but had 80 left when I began this program. The Isopure was helpful in the first 100 pounds and I still use it often.