Tired of being anemic. Ba dum dum!

Options
So I'm anemic. My mom and my sis are too. I can't give blood, I've tried a few times. I don't eat any red meat or pork. I do eat spinach. A lot. Like three big bags a week, at least. I eat eggs, chicken and fish usually daily. Beans and nuts usually every other day at least. So why am I not getting there?? What can I do to get it without supplements?

Has anyone else tackled this problem before?

I'm especially frustrated today because I have angular cheilitis on my mouth. This probably happens to me 3 or 4 times a year. Oh, and I bruise like a peach and I take forever to heal. So frustrating because I feel like I eat really healthy (and over 1200 calories), so why is iron so hard to get my daily value of?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat cereal is high in iron, unless you'd consider it a supplement since it's fortified rather than naturally occurring in the cereal as far as I know...

But maybe you could eat that for breakfast 3 or 4 times per week?

I'm not anemic, but my count is often too low when I donate blood (started after I began regular exercise), but if I eat Cream of Wheat 3 or 4 times in the days leading up to a donation, my levels are well over their requirements for donors.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Take a supplement. It's really not something to mess around with. You need to clear it with your Dr. though since its possible to take too much.

Do you track iron?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Are you anemic or is your iron just low? When you're anemic your iron reserves in your body (as my dr described it) are depleted. Realistically you would need to take iron supplement until your levels are back to normal and then discontinue and make sure you are eating iron in your diet.

I found out in May that I was anemic and was put on iron supplements. My levels are getting back to normal and I should be able to stop the iron at the end of the month.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why are you against supplements? I had very low iron after going vegetarian, so I started taking a women's multivitamin every day. I definitely feel less tired all the time since starting it.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to anemia too. I think anemia and thyroid issues go hand-in-hand, and that's my problem. I have an under-active thyroid. Have they checked yours? Honestly, I take a multivitamin and that seems to be enough. I hate taking additional iron, but sometimes when I'm anemic, I take those to snap back. It sucks, it's always on my head that I'm becoming anemic again if I feel weak or tired or whatever. I don't like red meat either and I do eat spinach.

I think you should AT LEAST take a multivitamin.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Young girls have higher iron needs than adult women (except vegans). Are you tracking your iron on here, and finding that you're hitting at least the 100% mark? You can try increasing your intake of vitamin C (because it helps with Fe absorption) and keeping dairy (or high calcium foods) separate from meals that contain iron (because it may impede absorption). Having said that, it sounds like you need to ask a dr about it, because you could have some other issue (such as an absorption problem).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So I'm anemic. My mom and my sis are too. I can't give blood, I've tried a few times. I don't eat any red meat or pork. I do eat spinach. A lot. Like three big bags a week, at least. I eat eggs, chicken and fish usually daily. Beans and nuts usually every other day at least. So why am I not getting there?? What can I do to get it without supplements?

Has anyone else tackled this problem before?

I'm especially frustrated today because I have angular cheilitis on my mouth. This probably happens to me 3 or 4 times a year. Oh, and I bruise like a peach and I take forever to heal. So frustrating because I feel like I eat really healthy (and over 1200 calories), so why is iron so hard to get my daily value of?
    Sorry! That sounds frustrating....I just HATE it if I'm tired all the time.
    Have not had anemia very much, but got over it quick when I did.
    But even though you said you don't want supplements, I assume you mean iron tabs.
    So I want to suggest an herb which is supposed to be the sure thing for anemia....it's dandilion leaf.
    Yep, that yellow flower growing in your grass.
    But don't use that,lol buy the herb in capsules!
    And it won't give you the "lovely" side effects you'd get from iron supps.
    Best wishes!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I had problems with anemia when I was a vegetarian. I tried everything - iron-rich foods paired with vitamin C to help the iron absorb. I tried supplements (both oral and injected). Nothing worked - I was constantly out-of-breath, fatigued, lightheaded, bruised, etc.

After lots of doctor visits, it was determined that I just don't absorb iron from non-heme sources. I went back to eating meat. In the end, it was just the easiest solution.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I HAVE TACKLED THIS ONE!!!

Okay so this is what I do. I take an iron pill + a vitamin c (MAKE SURE ITS ONLY IRON AND ONLY VITAMIN C)

I take another vitamin too for calcium but you can not take any other vitamins containing calcium with iron. Nor can you drink milk or eat dairy an hour before or an hour after.... After the hour passes you are in the clear. Its that simple. :)
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have heard having vitamin C can help. Does it count if put some lemon or lime juice in my water whenever I eat meals? Because I usually already do that.

I don't want to take the supplements because I think it's better to eat your vitamins naturally whenever possible. Also I'm afraid of the iron supplements messing up my digestion-- I've heard they do that. Anyone have experience with that?
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Like others have said.... make sure you are getting enough vitamin C
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check your B-12 levels. My mom has pernicious anemia, which is basically her body doesn't absorb the B-12 very well, causing the red blood cell count to be lower- and I've found that when I'm feeling particularly weak and tired, it's not just from low iron count. Just another thing to check up on. B-12 is really hard to get if you don't eat meats, because it doesn't occur in vegetation.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Any young menstruating woman will get anemic without taking a multivitamin with iron.

Check out nutritiondata.com, and search by nutrient, this is an easy way to get more of a certain nutrient.

Lack of iron is not the only thing that will make you anemic. Lack of B vitamins will do that too. So, get yourself a one-a-day with iron.

Also, Post grapenuts or Total cereal are great sources of both B vitamins and iron. Have strawberries on your cereal, or kiwi, for vitamin C, which will increase absorption. Nothing yummier than a bowl of yogurt, strawberries or kiwi, and grapenuts!!!! Mmm!

Eat red meat, unless you need to avoid it for some reason. Spaghetti sauce with tomatoes and beef, good choice.
  • eclare87
    Options
    Most days I'm over 100 percent RDA for Vitamin C. So I doubt that's it, especially considering all the lime and lemon juice I put in my water. I just need more tips for eating iron from people who've overcome this.

Cream of wheat is something I'll need to check out. I do eat Cheerios every now and then but they're so bland, I hate to waste my carb allowance on that!

EDIT: I don't eat red meat. I don't like it, no way I'm going to eat it. No point in suggesting it. I like poultry, fish, eggs though and eat those kinds of foods at least 2x a day.

Also if I have iron-fortified cereal and eat it with milk or yogurt, would that then cancel out the iron?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have heard having vitamin C can help. Does it count if put some lemon or lime juice in my water whenever I eat meals? Because I usually already do that.

I don't want to take the supplements because I think it's better to eat your vitamins naturally whenever possible. Also I'm afraid of the iron supplements messing up my digestion-- I've heard they do that. Anyone have experience with that?

I take "Slow Fe" brand, it is slow release, and I have not had any side effects. I am not anemic but was having a weird ice craving, heard it might mean iron deficiency (supposedly due to inflammation in the mouth), and had my ferritin tested and it was low. Started taking 45mg/day and the symptoms went away.

There are other reasons for anemia besides low iron of course -- do you know if your iron is low?

Now I track iron and if I am below 150% I take 1/4 or 1/2 45mg tablet, just enough to bring it up. I am shooting for 150% since I am vegetarian and the RDA is higher for vegetarians since non heme iron isn't absorbed as well.

If you're not working with a Dr. on this it sounds like a visit is in order just to make sure you are iron deficient, what your levels are and how much you need to bring your stores back up.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    A cup of Cheerios gets me halfway there. I'll say that since I have paid attention to my Iron and Vit C my energy has shot through the roof. I sleep much less and feel so much better.

Edit: sorry, I didn't read all the way through the thread.
  • eclare87
    Options
    Since people keep asking how I know I'm anemic-- I'm not completely sure what my iron levels are at this moment. I tried to give blood this summer and couldn't. They told me I was anemic. I've been told this before when trying to give blood other times too. My sis eats raisins so she can give blood but I don't want all that sugar unless it's chocolate, lol.

Currently I do have angular cheilitis, like I stated before. I think these are all good indicators to eat more iron without me needing to see a doctor. But no, I don't know for sure if right at this moment I'm anemic or not. I've been called it before and would like to avoid it and symptoms of it like I have now. Thanks for your tips.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Since people keep asking how I know I'm anemic-- I'm not completely sure what my iron levels are at this moment. I tried to give blood this summer and couldn't. They told me I was anemic. I've been told this before when trying to give blood other times too. My sis eats raisins so she can give blood but I don't want all that sugar unless it's chocolate, lol.

Currently I do have angular cheilitis, like I stated before. I think these are all good indicators to eat more iron without me needing to see a doctor. But no, I don't know for sure if right at this moment I'm anemic or not. I've been called it before and would like to avoid it and symptoms of it like I have now. Thanks for your tips.

Please take charge of your health.

There are many reasons to be anemic. Iron deficiency is only one of them.

You need to ask your doctor what the cause of your anemia is. If your iron level is low, you'll need to take iron. It's not a "supplement". It's a necessity. If your B12 level is low, you'll need to take B12. It's not a "supplement". It's a necessity.

Again - - - please take charge of your health. Ask questions and take action.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    While I think most people agree that it's best to get your nutrients from food (even those of us that take supplements anyway), but apparently it's not working in your case. There's nothing wrong with supplementation when needed.

I'd second (third? fourth?) a visit to a doc, since anemia can be caused by something else. When I was anemic I took Slow FE and it worked well, no side effects. But it took a while to feel 100% normal again - about 3/4 months. And I'd had a blood transfusion to boot. So don't expect immediate results.

JSL - I had that weird ice craving too. It was intense!