long holiday drive

Options
I am going on that long holiday drive to see my family today. I have to work 6:30-10:30 then we have an 11 hour trip in the car. I am not going to get the chance to work out at all which is driving me crazy also I usually eat bad and snack on these trips... because I am bored which leads me to fake hunger. Any healthy filling snack ideas?

I am thinking I might back baggies of snacks that are a serving size so I don't eat too much.

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Bagged up single serving snacks is a great idea. Take along the usual healthy snacks....fruits and veggies. You can buy 100 calories snacks also. Drink lots of water.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: .
    Have a safe journey. I would not want to be in a car for that amount of time. I get too fidgety. I am gonig 3 1/2 hours from home to go to my daughter's wedding on Sunday. That is long enough for me.:bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Actually I will pack meals in tupperware in a cooler when I go on a road trip. I just eat a meal whenever I stop for a bathroom break. If I eat the snack crackers, beef jerky, etc. I retain a lot of water. Fruits and veggies are easily edible because they come in their own 'wrapping'. Nuts are also easy, but some have extra salt added.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    If you can take a small cooler veggies with hummus is great! I also like yogurt and almonds. I buy plain almonds and bake them for about 10 min at 350, it brings out the flavor and makes them crunchy. I'm planning for our trip, 21 hours!:noway:
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am actually heading out first thing tomorrow morning on a road trip from TX to NY. It normally takes us 26-1/2 hours straight. I am always wanting to munch on food. So this year I am packing a cooler of fruit and veggies to bring with me.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just did this myself when I drove from MO to Chicago. It's only about 9 hours, but I just couldn't stand the thought of stopping for fast food or gas station snacks. I found ready to eat apples that were already washed and cut. One serving of those was only around 80 calories. I also packed along yogurt, light string cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, and veggies. It worked out great and I even though I didn't "save" any calories because I was snacking along, I did avoid eating worse than normal! Hope you have a good trip!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I hope that you have safe trips as well! I might use some of these ideas although I don't have a cooler. My husband is driving seperate in a couple days and he will have our cooler.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Oh wow... been there, done that. Never doing it again-- if I can help it. We use to live in NC and had to travel to TX at Christmas. Horrible. We didn't stay in a hotel. We just drove.

If you're lucky you'll be able to find a subway here and there for lunch or supper. But, i would def carry some fruit and nuts. I always like to have bananas w/me. I know jerky is high in sodium, but you use to be able to get those 100 cal packs (don't know if you still can). The protein would be helpful from that.

Just remember-- when you're feeling tired, get out and walk around a bit. Be careful and Happy Holidays! :)