lap band

Options

Replies

• Janice0711
    Janice0711 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had sweet friend that I taught 3rd grade with~A few yrs ago she got a lap band & lost weight~Summer of 2011 she had to have Hernia surgery, they messed up the lap band & she had to have another surgery to put it back ~During this surgery , she got an infection and they couldn't find out how to treat it~
    I am sad to say, she passed away last April~ She was 45 & had 4 kids~

*My Dad who is a pharmacist, has told me all my life...don't have surgery unless it is life threatening, because SO many complications can come of it~I hear all the time about people getting infections in the hospital!
    Good Luck!
    Janice 0711
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My sister had the gastric bypass and my mom had the lap band.... and I refuse to have either, my BMI was 47 4 months ago.. It is now 39.5.. I have a ways to go, but I can do it, and so can you.. It is not worth your life, my sister had no issues with the surgery at first, but then started having very bad problems, I wont go into and had to have another surgery 2 years later, My mom had her band 3 years ago, she still has issues eating, and about throws up everytime she eats because she can't get the food past the band unless she eats soups... everyone is different, you never know how your body will be compared to someone else... Good luck on your decision!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have the lapband and am in the process of scheduling surgery to have it removed. I wish I would never have gotten it. Yes, I lost 100lbs initially (back in 2004 when I got it), but I've slowly gained 75 of that back. I didn't learn how to eat differently, I just had to stop because I was in pain. I had my band replaced in 2008 because it slipped and I was throwing up everything I ate. I don't even have a fill right now and I can't eat any bread or pasta and if I eat in the morning, I tend to throw it back up. The scar tissue in the port area (where they add the saline) still hurts me 4 years later when I do crunches. It's caused me more harm than good.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No. To me it's unnecessary surgery. Just forces you to eat less. You can do that on your own instead of going through surgery and all the stress of surgery. My friend has the band and she's ALWAYS *****ING about it, and she's had it for well over 2 years and only lost 50-ish pounds. She still eats crap. It's not a fix-all.
  • opikelis
    Options
    i had my lap band about a year ago. It has changed my life! i have no eating issues. I eat anything I want just smaller portions and i chew slower. (i do not drink soda anymore now with the band i will never drink it again) my BMI was 50 now i am at 37. it is a lifestyle change and i could never do it with watcher watchers or any other diet. I need my tool(lap band). it is work none of these surgeries are the "easy way" out. I work out 5 times a week, i count my calories and I struggle everyday with stress eating/ head hunger. i am sure if i had not had my lapband my life would end early because of my weight. i made the choice i am very happy i did but i dont think it is something to do lightly it took me 2 years to decide if i really wanted to do it.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 3-1/2 months ago. I regret it every day. I so with I had done the sleeve. I eat right, no sweets, no sodas, low carbs and keep my calories under 1100 per day. I exercise at least 3times a week. I am losing about 1 pound per month. Seriously. 1 pound. What a waste of money and time.

1100 a day is TOO LOW... Scary low. Your body's metabolism has likely slowed to accommodate the lower calories. And before anyone replies that "You don't know her stats, 1100 calories could be ok if she is small or has a small amount to lose" - someone who had weight loss surgery generally is about100 lbs or more overweight - usually. that said, anyone with 100 lbs to lose, should never be eating 1100 a day.

It wouldn't surprise me if your doctor advised this, but it's horrible advice. Doctors are not nutritionists, and Not all of them are educated on the proper nutrition requirements based on individual stats like height, weight, BMR etc..

The sad truth is, you probably need to increase your calories for awhile, risk gaining some weight while your body adjusts to having adequate nutrition again, and then go with a more reasonable deficit - like 500 or so under your TDEE (what you burn on average per day with your activity level) This could mean you eat 1800 or more per day to LOSE weight.. (I average 1800/day, and have about 60-80 left to lose).

Take care. GOOD LUCK!

Tina

Weird you say this, I am on a 800 calorie diet for 2 years and then up to 1200 with the lap band and I am doing fine, blood work checks out and I am healthy. I guess to each Dr his own..Mine is from a Center of Excellence and has great success rates. There is no way I could eat high calories unless I was eating cake, cookies, ice cream,dip and chips.... I take a multivitamin and some vid d and calcium. But so far so good. Oh and whey protein powder too so I get enough in.
  • Mrbusterb
    Options
    I had the Gastric Sleeve in may and i have no regrets so far
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 3-1/2 months ago. I regret it every day. I so with I had done the sleeve. I eat right, no sweets, no sodas, low carbs and keep my calories under 1100 per day. I exercise at least 3times a week. I am losing about 1 pound per month. Seriously. 1 pound. What a waste of money and time.

1100 a day is TOO LOW... Scary low. Your body's metabolism has likely slowed to accommodate the lower calories. And before anyone replies that "You don't know her stats, 1100 calories could be ok if she is small or has a small amount to lose" - someone who had weight loss surgery generally is about100 lbs or more overweight - usually. that said, anyone with 100 lbs to lose, should never be eating 1100 a day.

It wouldn't surprise me if your doctor advised this, but it's horrible advice. Doctors are not nutritionists, and Not all of them are educated on the proper nutrition requirements based on individual stats like height, weight, BMR etc..

The sad truth is, you probably need to increase your calories for awhile, risk gaining some weight while your body adjusts to having adequate nutrition again, and then go with a more reasonable deficit - like 500 or so under your TDEE (what you burn on average per day with your activity level) This could mean you eat 1800 or more per day to LOSE weight.. (I average 1800/day, and have about 60-80 left to lose).

Take care. GOOD LUCK!

Tina

Weird you say this, I am on a 800 calorie diet for 2 years and then up to 1200 with the lap band and I am doing fine, blood work checks out and I am healthy. I guess to each Dr his own..Mine is from a Center of Excellence and has great success rates. There is no way I could eat high calories unless I was eating cake, cookies, ice cream,dip and chips.... I take a multivitamin and some vid d and calcium. But so far so good. Oh and whey protein powder too so I get enough in.

I am really happy for you! I fear your experience may be the minority, but it does happen. I remember those days as well. I say this sincerely, I hope your band is good to you long term and you don't end up with complicatiins. When I saw my band dr last week, his comment to me was: "you have all the risks of having a foreign object in your body, but are reaping none of the benefits.. he tried to talk me into another gastric surgery, and i told him no, that i found an alternative that was working. I do not wish you ill will, but cannot help but be concerned for anyone having gone through this long term. I will stop here as i dont want to belittle your success, as you have had awesome success. Good luck!
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Everyone I personally know that has had the lap band has gained their weight back. Apparently they thought it was a quick fix. It is a good tool, if you work it properly. I'm a member of Weight Watchers and some of the members there have had the lap band and put on weight so they joined to try to lose again. For me ww works, yes it is expensive, but so is being fat (health issues later on). Not everyone has sucess with WW, each person is different. What ever journey you choose I wish you have good luck!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Doctors love surgical quick fixes. Mo Money.
    I never considered anything that radical. The most radical "diet" I ever did was scarf and barf. But that isn't healthy either. And it took a long time for me to relearn how to keep food down.
    Last June I hit 310, 2X what I weighed in 1983. Today I'm at 263 and falling.
    As others have said, without a life style change, no weight loss can last. When I hit my goal weight I will not magically be able to eat Doritos again. The sensitivity I have to grains, high starch vegetable, and processed carb rich food will not change.
    I'll still have to use tools to track what I eat to maintain balance.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Take care. GOOD LUCK!

Tina

I am really happy for you! I fear your experience may be the minority, but it does happen. I remember those days as well. I say this sincerely, I hope your band is good to you long term and you don't end up with complicatiins. When I saw my band dr last week, his comment to me was: "you have all the risks of having a foreign object in your body, but are reaping none of the benefits.. he tried to talk me into another gastric surgery, and i told him no, that i found an alternative that was working. I do not wish you ill will, but cannot help but be concerned for anyone having gone through this long term. I will stop here as i dont want to belittle your success, as you have had awesome success. Good luck!

Thanks, I know it is different for everyone, and I have already made a back up plan if something were to ever go wrong a slippage erosion etc with my Dr. But as of now because I am doing so well having it and it isn't causing anything bad to me we are going to keep it for now. Which I am okay with. When I did the initial weight loss requirement to have the surgery It only took me a month, at that point I was really wondering if I needed the surgery at all. I had a lot of issues with knowing what to eat, the dietitians were a fabulous tool within themselves for me. Just learning how to eat right, what to eat etc. I don't know if I would of gotten as far as I have, but I had the faith in myself that I could of done it. But I went ahead with it because I had fought my insurance for over a year after I was finished with my 6 month supervised diet part... And I got approved... So I took it as a sign and ran with it... lol...
    I won't let it fail because I am more aware now of what I have to eat. I was a cookie,ice cream,cake, chips and dip Aholic! A true food addict, will be for the rest of my life... That is why continuous support is soooooooo important, which brings me to this site :) Motivation! I read success story's every day and am so touched by them, and it helps so much to keep going...
    It has gotten easier now, It's part of my life. And I know if I want to continue to be successful I can't eat like I did before. I am more active now.. I want to step it up a little. I was walking 3 miles at one time.. But summer and the heat really slowed me down in that aspect.. But it's Fall time and I love walking..
    What it all boils down to is changing your lifestyle, surgery or not. There is no magic about anything.. I think it's all pretty Scientific....
    Anyways I'm done babbling.. lol
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Most of the time doctors will NOT do any sort of bariatric surgery (lap band, bypass, or sleeve) unless the patient has a BMI over 45. However, if you have another health condition that technically classifies you as being morbidly obese such as diabetes, hypertension, etc. then they will do it if you have a lower BMI (usually about 35). So if your BMI is currently at 37 and you have no other health issues your doctor, or maybe even your insurance, might not approve the surgery. I would suggest working hard and changing your lifestyle and eating habits. I also feel that surgery should be an absolutely last ditch effort after ALL other options have been exhausted.

Oh and I used to work for Ethicon Endo-Surgery, the makers of the Realize Lap Band. So no... I'm not biased at all.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had the Lap-band surgery? and pros and cons if you would like to share, my BMI is 37 and I have struggle with weight issues all my life and Im thinking about asking my dr about it.

The only thing I ask of you is to ask yourself if you've REALLY put all you've got into losing weight. The only reason I ask is because I, too, considered getting a lap band. I would try diet after diet to no avail, I would give up and quit then just get back to where I started. I felt like nothing would work for me. I discussed this with my boyfriend and he said "Love, I know you want to be skinny, but I see you eat fast food still. You don't go to the gym except maybe once or twice a week...Can you really say that you've put 100% of your effort into it? I love you just the way you are, but surgery is a big deal, and you don't need it. You just need to TRY". This was really eye opening for me. Sure, I've been counting calories for 5 months now, but I would still eat fast food. I still eat donuts. I see nothing wrong with this every once in awhile and in moderation, but up until recently, I kind of saw weekends as free-for-alls...Then I would wonder why I kept gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. Not to mention, lap band (like any other weight loss strategy) still requires eating healthy. It still requires exercise. It's not a miracle procedure, but it does help. If you decide this is the best way for you to lose weight, then go for it, I just want you to make sure you know it's the only option you have left. But you seem pretty level headed, I just wanted to share that because it was really eye opening for me. I never saw it that way, and ever since I've put a lot more effort into my weight loss, and it's working. Best of luck to you!
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!
    Interfering with internal organs carries risk of complications. Even years after having the surgery accompanied with successful weight loss, the digestive process is strained and uncomfortable, depending on what food is eaten. Spicy foods will become a gassy nightmare.
    Furthermore, because the weight loss is dramatically accelerated, skin doesn't have to time to regain it's original state. So there will be a lot of stretchmarks and leftovers. Gastric alterations appear to be successful because most patients will see some weight loss, but this loss is based on caloric restriction.
    Weight-loss that will leave your skin tight and your organs healthy requires learning to base a majority of your diet on dense nutrients found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
    It definitely feels impossible to make such a huge change in the beginning, but this is truly the only way to keep off weight without starving.
  • sweet1ntx
    Options
    I went to a few consults for lap band and sleeve surgeyr about 6 mos ago. I was encouraged to go by my now ex-husband. After alot of research and soul searching I realized I needed to unload him and that surgery isnt the answer for me. You STILL HAVE TO DIET AND EXERCISE! I started working out and eating right and quickly lost 20 lbs...since joining myfitnesspal in June I have lost another 14 lbs. It can be done! All the money I saved by not spending it on surgery I booked a vacation in Dec to Puerto Rico. I know of several people who have so many complications realted to their surgeries. I have a busy career and dont have time to waste constantly going to see DRs. Its a personal choice and I have read several postings of people who have done well with it. It's just not a risk I was willing to take. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Like anything in life, you get out of it what you're willing to put in. It is a tool, not a cure. It's not a magical device that will end all your eating woes. The band is losing favor with surgical centers recently as the rate of long term success seems to decrease much faster than other surgical options. But then, the band can be loosened or even surgically removed while other options are much more permanent and invasive.

I'm currently in the process of getting bypass surgery. There are numerous requirements that you must fulfill before surgery, so that's what I'm currently doing. I've gone back and forth many times with emotions and doubts. I've had long conversations with myself about if I am able to live with the consequences of surgery. To never again be able to sit down and eat a nice fat, juicy porterhouse. No more cake. All those things that have helped me get so damn fat. For me, the benefits of surgery far outweigh the down sides. For other people that may not be true.

And that is one thing you really must be absolutely sure about. That you are willing and able to put in the work, to control what you eat, how much you eat. To take the vitamins as required. It's not just a slice/dice and forget kind of thing. Thousands of people get surgery every year and the success rate for all of them is pretty high. Just be sure you know what you're buying.
  • Kimchee001
    Options
    Everyone I personally know that has had the lap band has gained their weight back. Apparently they thought it was a quick fix. It is a good tool, if you work it properly. I'm a member of Weight Watchers and some of the members there have had the lap band and put on weight so they joined to try to lose again. For me ww works, yes it is expensive, but so is being fat (health issues later on). Not everyone has sucess with WW, each person is different. What ever journey you choose I wish you have good luck!
    I am post lap band 3 1/2 years, 90 POUNDS STILL LOST, no longer have hypertension controlled by medication, no longer pre-diabetic, no longer wear a CPAP mask at night, and at 45 yrs old weigh less now than I weighed for the previous 15 years. I did try WW, Jenny Craig, etc. and they didn't work for me, but lap band has...and continues to be my blessing. Am I at goal yet? Nope. But I am certainly a heck of a lot closer now than 3 1/2 years ago! It continues to be one of the best things I ever did for myself!!! It is NOT a quick fix, which is why I am still working towards my goals, as what a lot of us here are working towards. Are some days hard? Of course they are. The lap band just happened to be be the "tool" than worked for ME to help me (and continues to help me) change old habits.
  • lwmwmom
    Options
  • lwmwmom
    Options
    I had gastric by-pass surgery a month ago. I am doing great now but for the first few weeks, I was wishing I hadn't had it done. I had some surgical complications, bleeding from one of the puncture sites internally. I had to have blood and was in a lot of pain. The first thing I said to my husband when I woke up from the surgery was that I wished I hadn't had it done. That was true for the first 2-3 weeks, when you are getting used to the new diet and supplements. Diet is very limited for 2 weeks. After that you start adding in high protein real foods. Then it is easier. Now I am one month and a few days out and I feel great. I have lost 30 lbs. since my pre-operative visit and I feel great. My weightloss on this site started after about 2 weeks post op.

I chose gastric bypass over lap band because a friend of mine told me that lap band does not keep you from eating bad foods like sugar and high fat foods. It just limits the amount you can eat at one time. Lap band also offers relief from high blood pressure after weightloss. Gastric bypass offers relief from high blood pressure from the time of surgery in many cases, as explained by my surgeon. I am off my blood pressure medicine and my CPAP after 30 lbs of weightloss.

Gastric bypass is tricky becasue you have to take several vitamins and minerals for life. You have to follow up with labs frequently at first then yearly to make sure you have what your body needs. Bypass also limits the amount of sugar you can eat. Dumping syndrome can occur if you eat sugar. It causes nausea, cramps, sweating, and can cause terrible diarrhea. If you ever have an episode of this you will never eat too much sugar again. Otherwise, it is like eating very small portioned high protein foods. I can dine out with my family. I just went to Applebees this weeks and ate the Creamy Parm. Chicken with garlic mashed potatoes. I had about half of the chicken and 1/4 of the potatoes and I was full. I eat about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food each sitting and that is all I need. Plus with the surgery you are never hungry for the first several months. The dietician at the practice I used said it would be 8 months to a year before I was hungry. So far that is true. I have to make myself eat each meal.

I would not dare offer you advice as to what to do with your body. I found it worth it for me so far. Consider all your options and be careful picking your surgical practice if you decide to do either.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My mother had it done. But she doesn't expect it to be a miracle surgery. Its worked great for her. She is now really healthy and workouts all of the time. She has motivated my dad into living a healthy lifestyle too. Its for some people but not for others. She also had to wait a year...lose a certain amount of weight before they'd do the surgery, talk to a nutritionist regurarly and a head shrink. The people she went through, as well as her insurance, wanted her to be ready for it and how to live better after it. I was glad she had the lap band instead of the other stuff because I didn't like the thought of parts of her insides removed with the other options. I was glad this one was less complicated.

Now my cousins wife wanted the sleeve...and a month later she had it done. I think because she wasn't mentally prepared to take care of herself is the reason she is not losing any weight. She eats like crap still and doesn't work out,
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!