Quitting the gym... How do I keep working out at home?

Options
I've come to love and depend on the bikes at the gym for my cardio as well as all the different machines, but I just can't afford my membership as a student anymore. I do frequent floor exercises, but I just can't believe that they might possibly make up for loosing my cardio. I can't afford to purchase anything and I can't run, I was exposed to second-hand smoke the vast majority of my life and I just... yeah, I can't breathe. What are some other things I can do to keep from having the loss of the gym effect my workout?

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    How about leg raises, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, sit ups, push ups, go for a short walk, today while watching football I did sitting crunches, breathing exercises too.
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hop on youtube and hunt around for short fitness videos that catch your interest. There are a bazillion on there, so there's bound to be at least 1 that you like!
  • taaaters
    Options
    Why not try some exercise DVDs? You can buy them or search for some on YouTube. They are a great alternative in my opinion.
  • Leahsz
    Options
    Skipping is meant to be great cardio...
  • kevinsherrell
    Options
    Walking is actually pretty good. Anything that raises your HR up, jumping jacks, burpees, leg-lifts, crunches.
  • jallison12
    Options
    A very fast walk is fantastic cardio. Study notes as mp3 and off you go
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Before I joined a gym I did a lot of jogging/running in place while watching TV, various aerobics, wall pushups and crunches. Also bought a set of dumbbells that I did stuff with every morning. As someone else mentioned, Youtube is full of various workout DVD stuff that you can do at home.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    How about leg raises, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, sit ups, push ups, go for a short walk, today while watching football I did sitting crunches, breathing exercises too.

^This!

Also, I thought I absolutely couldn't afford a threadmill, like, ever. But my partner found ours on Craigslist for 40 bucks! It sure isn't fancy, and it doesn't do your heartrate or anything. But, I wonder if you could find a bike online for super cheap, or even free from someone trying to just get it out of their house? Good job for not giving up after ending the gym membership. You can do it!

Another thing - Do you have a Planet Fitness in your area? I don't think they're as common as 24hr fitness, la fitness and such. By my local planet fitness costs just ten bucks per month. No joke! And they focus primarily on cardio and have limited weights. They're open 24 hours during the week and shorter hours on weekends. Anyway, I hope something here is helpful. Sorry if it's not!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Does your local library do fitness DVDs?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, walking. Just a regular pace will help, or if you want max results, walk a little faster. A good pair of shoes is all you need. Walking used to be my only cardio, but I got bored of it...but it defintely works.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    browse around youtube...you have so many different workouts there on it..You're bound to find one you like...!
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like these ones for working out at home:

bodyrock.tv
    bodyripped.net
    ZuzkaLight on youtube
  • haylz247
    Options
    Know how you feel! I use youtube. Go on befit's channel. Loads of cardio, dancing and yoga.

This one is pretty good too. Makes me sweat loads! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6olejYe6bU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Get Jillian Michael's DVDs or any workout dvd "online" =P
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It sucks that you enjoy the gym but can't keep your membership. I know that going to the gym really works for me. Knowing I paid for a membership motivates me to get there and use it. I have zero discipline at home. If I don't leave the house, it ain't happening for me. On weekends I run long trails in the hills and that's wonderful, and no gym is required, but I see that you aren't able to run. Hopefully, you aren't like me and you can take some of this great advice people are giving - finding free online workout videos, etc. - and enjoy some exercise at home. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Find an apartment block with at least 8 floors.
    Walk, run, crawl up and down those stairs for half an hour.

You will have legs like an oil rig and the lungs of Usain Bolt!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    exercise dvds, I have been doing the 30 day shred you can find it on youtube also bodyrocktv and amanda russell , zukzakalight all on youtube and there are many more just type in workouts

also check out some fitness classes like zumba, pilates, aerobics etc from the parks and recreation district in your area they have several classes for really cheap. also look on craigslist for a bike or exercise bike and weights, maybe check yardsales also. I hope this helps
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you're a student does your school have a gym? Chances are if your going to a collage or university you're already paying a gym fee for their gym. It's already paid for so use it as much as you want :p I know I put my school gym to good use and I missed being able to go there once I graduated.

You might be able get student discounts at some gyms in your area too, it doesn't hurt to ask around. Being a student sucks because you're broke most of the time so you might as well take advantage of the perks ( gyms aren't the only places that have student discounts either, restaurants, airlines, museums, amusement parks and movie theaters are all places that might offer lower rates for students).

Good luck!
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I'm a student and for me, if I really wanted to join a gym, loads of local places offer student rates - but I'm going to assume you've alreay looked at that option and ruled it out.

Personally, I saved up and got a Heart Rate Monitor (from a shop that gave student discount LOL!) and I wear it every time I work out to make sure I'm hitting the calorie burn target I should be.

I look around local charity/thrift shops and am always buying workout DVD's, which I use at home, Hence the Heart Rate Monitor to check how I'm doing. That way I get to do loads of different workouts which target different areas and I really make sure I sweat!

My husband is currently looking at buying a magnetic resistance trainer stand for his old bicycle, so that he can turn it into a stationery cycle for the winter months.

Finally, whilst you may love cycling, I'm wondering if you might consider taking up the C25k challenge (couch to 5k running plan in 9 weeks). It's a free plan (check out coolrunnings.com) and if you are in the UK (sorry I didn't check), you can get a free itunes download podcast to help you along c/o the NHS. Alternatively, if you get yourself a waterproof HRM - swimming burns calories like you wouldn't believe and gives you a great body shape in return.

Hope some of these ideas help out.

Mavis
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A very fast walk is fantastic cardio. Study notes as mp3 and off you go

Fantastic idea - now why didn't I think of that! I am SO doing this in my final uni year! Thanks.

Mavis