What do you think about Fasting?

Options
Found this article followng up a recent BBC Doc about the newest craze, Fasting..
Has anyone tried it?

The 5:2 diet

One fasting regime has been particularly popular. It’s the 5:2 diet – two separate days of fasting a week. On those days, men can consume 600 calories and women just 500.

Dieters can choose to eat them all at once, or have several small meals throughout the day. It was made famous by the BBC’s Horizon programme Eat, Fast and Live Longer, in which the reporter tried a number of different fasting techniques.

He’s also written about his experience and the potential benefits.

We spoke to three people who’ve tried the 5:2 diet for themselves.

David, aged 32.

“I became interested in intermittent fasting because of suggestions that it helps you live longer and healthier. I’m not too fussed about losing weight as I wasn’t fat, although I’ve lost about 3kg in the four weeks I’ve been on the diet – my stomach is much leaner.

“Fast days are hard and I have to plan around them. I can’t go for a run or work out because I don’t always have the energy and I’m sometimes a bit short-tempered. I eat a small bowl of porridge for breakfast and then two small salads later in the day.

“But the payoff is good. I mean, I can eat pretty much what I want the rest of the week and potentially improve my long-term health.

“I certainly feel like this has been a lifestyle change rather than a fad diet, I think it’s something I’m going to commit to for a very long time.”

[Related article: Five foods all slimmers should have in the cupboard]

Victoria, aged 61

“I’m a retired GP and I’ve always been quite sceptical of any kind of extreme diet. But after seeing a documentary about the potential health benefits, I decided to give it a go.

“My main motivation was to lose weight but I was also attracted by suggestions that it helps ward off Alzheimer’s. My mother suffered with dementia and I want to do all I can to reduce my risks of developing it.

“I’ve been trying it for five weeks now and I’ve lost about a pound a week.

“It’s a weird diet because it’s both really easy and really hard. On my fast days, I eat two very small meals, and I find it very hard sometimes not to give up and snack. But then, the rest of the week I can eat what I like – so I don’t feel guilty if I treat myself to a cake or have a biscuit. I think I’ll probably do this for the rest of my life.”

Stephanie, aged 30

“I really wanted to try intermittent fasting because I hate having to always think about my diet. I’ve had quite a lot of success with Slimming World, but you’re always working out whether you’re allowed something or not. With intermittent fasting, I’d only have to worry about my diet two days a week.

“However, I’ve decided not to do it. There have been no widespread studies in humans yet, so I researched it by reading online forums and blogs. There are suggestions that intermittent fasting damages fertility in women, and I haven’t finished growing my family just yet.

“Maybe I’ll come back to it in the future when I am done having babies - especially if there’s been a bit more research into the effects on humans rather than rats!”

[Related: Why Lauren Goodger-style boot camps don't work]

Get your doctor on board

As one of our case studies pointed out, there have been no extensive trials into the potential benefit or harm of intermittent fasting for humans.

If you’re tempted to try it out, it’s sensible to talk to your doctor first to make sure doing so won’t put your health at risk.

But if the scientists are right and the benefits are so extreme, then your two fasts a week could become as important as your five a day.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? What do you eat on fast days? Is this just another fad diet or a new discovery? Share your experiences and thoughts with other readers in the comments below.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    IF is just another diet craze kicked up from the 60s.

You already intermittently fast -- you sleep. You break that fast when you resume eating upon waking (or whenever you get in your first meal of the day). Why anyone would want to extend that is beyond me. Living longer and healthier? we already have a ridiculously long lifespan, and the health benefits are unproven (to say the least).

I know of bodybuilders who use IF as a means of cutting very close to competition, but other than that -- for athletes, say -- it has no real usage aside from fast, unlasting, results.
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it, I have been since I saw the programme. Some days are harder than others, but the best thing is if you fail today you can change your fast day to tomorrow. I have lost weight, but no more than I would have on a normal diet.

However, I have found that on the days I eat the low calories and the following day my menopausal symptoms are almost non-existent. I no longer use my Hrt patches and feel 100% better.
  • georgie181
    Options
    actually I hhave done some reading on this myself recently, I will have a look for the articles etc I ave read thus far and it is supposed to have many health benefits and actually help you to live longer. will have a little hunt and get back to you......
  • tmbolt
    tmbolt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep exercising then I say absolutely NO!

There are pros and cons to fasting I disagree with anything that says no food at all and just liquids.

If doing one then please do your research and find one that's right for you as if you have any sort of health issues then fasting could be a bad idea.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I can rely on what my doc said. And at least for me is to eat well and don'skip any meal and do it at the same time if possible. I have insulin resistance and he told me that is more or less the way to trigger my metabolism instead of making my body think that It is starving so needs to build reserves.
  • coconuthead8
    coconuthead8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have done a juicing fast after watching "Fat, sick and nearly dead", while its a great documentary, after the 3rd day I almost fainted when I went outside. I do think I wasn't drinking them enough however which might have been the reason. I think if you do it with a doctors okay and know your body limitations it should be okay. I agree with what tmbolt said, if you are adding exercise with it, it's probably not a good idea, as you won't have very much energy. In fact when I juiced I mostly wanted to sleep and lay in bed all day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You already intermittently fast -- you sleep. You break that fast when you resume eating upon waking (or whenever you get in your first meal of the day). Why anyone would want to extend that is beyond me. Living longer and healthier? we already have a ridiculously long lifespan, and the health benefits are unproven (to say the least).

I know of bodybuilders who use IF as a means of cutting very close to competition, but other than that -- for athletes, say -- it has no real usage aside from fast, unlasting, results.
    Agree 100%.
  • Blunderguff
    Options
    I fast every day. I fast 20 hours and eat 4 hours. My window of eating is from 3pm-7pm. Durnng that time I eat all my calories and drink only water maybe a black cup of coffee durning the 20hours.

I really like it and it works for me. Others won't like it and will tell you to eat other ways but you just need to find out what works for your body.

I exercise almost everyday and burn anywhere from 1000-2500 calories few hours before my fast ends. Your body is amazing and can workout on a fasted state.

Once again this works for me and not everyone's going to like fasting.

Edited to add there are days I eat 8 hours of the day and fast the other 16 hours. Like 11am-7pm
  • morbidbones
    morbidbones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only thing that would make me not want to try it is I would be concerned it might lower my metabolism
  • You_Can_Be
    You_Can_Be Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been fasting for quite a few weeks now 2 out of 7 days and I find that the longer I do it the easier t gets and the better I feel. I have been slightly overweight ever since my daughter was born 9 years ago only about 20lb's however this weight has bothered me not from an esthetic point of view but health wise. I have tried every which way to lose the weight including weight watchers. Nothing worked it just would not budge and I was beginning to think there may be something wrong with me hormonally. However since I have started fasting the weight has slowly started to drop, only by about 1/2 lb a week which is a good speed to lose weight anyway. It has been easy to achieve. I would recommend it whole heartedly. Pretty much anyone can calorie restrict 2 days a week. The problems come in when we try and stop ourselves from eating what we need all the times. From a psychological point of view it works brilliantly, because you know that the restriction is for one day not the forseable future.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Like most things it's great for some people, not great for others.

Should be avoided by people who suffer from eating disorders or have a bad relationship with food.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Like most things it's great for some people, not great for others.

Should be avoided by people who suffer from eating disorders or have a bad relationship with food.

That and diabetics, people who cant process fat.

but then again those people could be in danger if they cut cals to far so the normal rules apply.

Fasting has been built into almost every culture as far back as recorded history goes. budists, muslims ect. The studies look promising ive seen over the last few years.
    Benefits in animal tests range from exstended life, less degrading in mental health, increases in insilin sensitivity, lower blood pressure ect.

In reality all the studies seem to show the same thing low cal diets show.

I think in the end its all pretty much the same thing,

Lower cals, keep it healthy

fasting is just an easier way to do it. As a numbers game 2 days of low food intake( still 500-600 cals is alot of veg) and 5 days of normal non restricted dieting seems more pleasing than 7 days of low cals.

Fasting might show some other plus sides like resting the guts, intestines a little more but its all relative.
    But one thing for sure fasting should not be dismissed as it could be the key to weight loss and all the good stuff for the weaker minded person who cant endure non stop dieting ( who can:sad:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did this last year and lost 21lbs and felt really good. Even when I stopped I didn't fire all the weight back on like I would if I stopped a normal calorie controlled diet. I have been doing just a normal diet now and it has been ok but I am seriously thinking of going back to trying the IF again as I just don't feel I have the energy I had then and I felt I slept a lot better. Also found that you do have energy to exercise on a fast day too. I personally preferred to keep my calories for later in the day though as once I start eating that kick starts my appetite and I can't survive on 500 cals. Also, drink PLENTY of water.
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Interesting replies and opinions..
    Guess it wouldn't be for ANYONE with any extraordinary maladies but if just an ordinary bod trying to lose abit more it might be worth a go.....

Cheers Folks for the replies....
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    “But the payoff is good. I mean, I can eat pretty much what I want the rest of the week and potentially improve my long-term health. "

^^^ I find this highly suspect. IMHO this is akin to "if I only (insert whatever unhealthy activity like smoking cigarettes) two days out of the week... I can potentially improve my long-term health"

Slow and steady wins the race. This type of dieting is hardly slow and steady. And where anyone got the notion that starving yourself two out of seven days will "potentially improve long-term health" is astounding to me. But then again, multi-billion dollar industry is fueled by insatiable desire to be skinny, not necessarily healthy because healthy requires effort. Skinny only requires starving.

Will a body DIE if they starve themselves (fasting = starving) two out of seven days? Not hardly. But to think that you can "eat whatever you want" for the other five days and actually be healthier is nothing short of ridiculous.

But more power to anyone who wants to live this way. :drinker: I can't imagine this type of behavior would improve bone density or joint health.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

not really.
    Some athletes still use it and it works well.
    Another strategy that is similar to IF is carboyhydrate backloading. And you eat very little during the day to extend the fat burning you experience in the morning.

Your body is very sensitive to insulin in the morning. so if you're slamming carbs, yes it'll go to your muscles but it's also going to fat cells.

That being said. The "fasting" in the original post is retarded. don't do it.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting: been there done that. If done properly then it works every single time ;)

It is not for everybody though, but it does have a lot of added benefits besides weightloss :D
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I did it in the initial part of my weight loss. It made sense to me as some days I would have a hard time with calories and other days I could breeze through and even forget to eat.

I didn't follow it by the letter. I did more of an intermittent thing - where I'd stop eating at 6 pm one day and go through til night time the following day for 24 hours plus without eating. Other times I'd shoot for 36 hours. On the days I was fasting I never felt like working out so I didn't. I probably could have gone walking or something like that, but I did workout on the non-fasting days so I didn't worry about it.

For me it was a great tool to get my weekly calories in line and put calories "in the bank" if I needed them.

I don't do it anymore as my focus now is weight training and building muscle.
  • fraser112
    Options
    “But the payoff is good. I mean, I can eat pretty much what I want the rest of the week and potentially improve my long-term health. "

^^^ I find this highly suspect. IMHO this is akin to "if I only (insert whatever unhealthy activity like smoking cigarettes) two days out of the week... I can potentially improve my long-term health"

Slow and steady wins the race. This type of dieting is hardly slow and steady. And where anyone got the notion that starving yourself two out of seven days will "potentially improve long-term health" is astounding to me. But then again, multi-billion dollar industry is fueled by insatiable desire to be skinny, not necessarily healthy because healthy requires effort. Skinny only requires starving.

Will a body DIE if they starve themselves (fasting = starving) two out of seven days? Not hardly. But to think that you can "eat whatever you want" for the other five days and actually be healthier is nothing short of ridiculous.

But more power to anyone who wants to live this way. :drinker: I can't imagine this type of behavior would improve bone density or joint health.

Have a look at the horizon doc on it its pretty good and goes into great detail.
    The 5:2 diet above showed great results in high fat and low fat groups.
    i think it was around 20% cals for 2 days, then the subjects given free rain to eat as they pleased still lost weight.

Its not really a fad though as humans evolved over million of years to eat in a feast and famine style. we spent near 90000years living like this, Having food constantly up for grabs while doing almost no physical stuff is only been in that last few thousand years.

The main upside i see is the fact you only diet 2 days a week, even the weakest willed person should be able to stick to that haha.
    Ive lost 4 kilos since i started the 5:2 and its honestly easy as hell. Enjoy food five days a week. i try to keep it semi healthy so lots of eggs salad fruit ect.

Then on a fast day i have an omlette or a blt, but if you had to have a full belly you could have a gallon of veg soup spread through out the day :laugh:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

not really.
    Some athletes still use it and it works well.
    Another strategy that is similar to IF is carboyhydrate backloading. And you eat very little during the day to extend the fat burning you experience in the morning.

Your body is very sensitive to insulin in the morning. so if you're slamming carbs, yes it'll go to your muscles but it's also going to fat cells.

That being said. The "fasting" in the original post is retarded. don't do it.

I've never heard of an athlete using IF, so perhaps some examples are in order. Not trying to baulk at your assertion, I just watch a lot of sports and the eating habits of the athletes I enjoy watching don't involve any fasting; they all eat like horses. If you've ever watched a triathlon or the Tour de France, you'll have noticed the athletes feeding themselves during the competition so as to directly avoid falling into a fasting state (and thus experience the dreaded 'bonking' we all hear of). Fasting and performance don't go together, as far as I've ever read/heard/seen.

I know that IF is great for dropping bodyfat and showing muscle, which is why it's used by bodybuilders to cut for competition.

CBL is another method that is not only unproven but may also be detrimental to your goals, depending on how it's implemented and how the person implementing it responds to it mentally.