Daily water intake

Options
I hear it all the time that I need to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day... I struggle with this - on a good day I get about 3 glasses' worth down, but only because I drink one 750 ml bottle while I work out.
My question is: does it have to be water? I live in New Zealand, it's early spring here and still a bit cool, so I drink hot/warm herbal teas, can I use them towards my 8 glasses a day count? (My food diary is open). Any thoughts are welcome!

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    LOL..you just opened a can of worms with this question.

According to studies, my Dr and a nutritionist, ANY fluid counts. People on these forums though, are going to tell you that ONLY pure water counts. Your body will use the water in your teas just fine. The minimal amount of caffeine present in diet sodas, coffee and teas are overcome by the amount of water, and it will not make you dehydrated :)

Let the good times begin :P
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing some conspiracy theories that it was the bottled water industry that popularised the "2 litres of water a day" message, the original earlier study suggested that humans need 2 litres a day, but we get most of it out of our food as well as what we drink and that the water industry decided to omit this latter part...
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe soda and the likes count towards water intake, simply because of all the other chemically crap they put into them. I gave up soda in April and have not looked back since! I drink some milk, some tea (usually just if I go out to a restaurant and need something different) but mostly water. That being said, I do occasionally add the Crystal Light flavorings (because every once in a while you need to taste something!) and many people will argue that changes it and it is no longer just water. I am on the fence about that still! Anywho, back to the tea thing... Since your just adding the tea to water I see no reason why this wouldn't count because it's the same as adding a flavor packet to water! So drink on, sister! ;-)
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm guessing about herbal teas as well. Besides, most of them are caffeine free (it's not strictly true, but the amounts left are negligible, so can be ignored).
    I don't get as thirsty as my husband, for example. I can go all day on a couple of cups of tea, but a water bottle is his constant companion.