BUTTERNUT SQUASH

Options

Replies

• kitkat1781
    Options
    Ahh! My mouth is watering from all these recipies! Here's hoping the Farmers Market has butternut squash this weekend!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I always cube and roast, and I don't usually peel them. They just need longer roasting at a slower temperature if you leave the skin on. Then the pieces go in salads (lovely with giant cous cous, tomatoes, mint and feta) or in casseroles.

I've also had them sliced, tossed with seasoning and some parmesan, and roasted.

Never tried stuffing them, though after reading this thread I will have to!
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorites are butternut squash risotto, butternut squash turkey chili, and butternut squash and chicken tagine:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-risotto-2/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-turkey-chili/detail.aspx

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-and-squash-tagine/ (I use boneless, skinless, thighs, and less oil than the recipe call for to cut the calories)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

Serve over rice/noodles/"cauliflower rice" etc.

What's cauliflower rice? Intrigued...

Cauliflower rice is made by either running cauliflower through a food processor or grating it. I haven't had a chance to use it in place of rice yet, but I make cauliflower crust pizza with it.

Amazing! Presume you cook it first? And discard the green leaves?
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Heyas cooking folk :-)

I bought myself a butternu tsquash the other day! I've never cooked it before...

So I'm asking you lot for some AWESOME ideas, best tasting recipes you know! It can be a bit unusual even.

Ready...Set... GGGGOOOOOO!!!!

cheers:flowerforyou:

Make fries with it! Yum, yum yum! Do the same as you would with a potato or sweet potato/yam. Season it up, little oil, about 400 on the oven, for about 40 minutes, really depends on how thick you cut. I do recommend doing this on parchment, as I have found they stick and if they do, they fall apart to mush. So good.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump

yum
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Make fries with it! Yum, yum yum! Do the same as you would with a potato or sweet potato/yam. Season it up, little oil, about 400 on the oven, for about 40 minutes, really depends on how thick you cut. I do recommend doing this on parchment, as I have found they stick and if they do, they fall apart to mush. So good.

This is key point - it may stick if you cook it on too low a temp also if you turn it too much - let it caramelize a bit prior to turning..
    Also, MAKE SURE it is totally dry before roasting... any water will make it sloppy and sticky....
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

This is key point - it may stick if you cook it on too low a temp also if you turn it too much - let it caramelize a bit prior to turning..
    Also, MAKE SURE it is totally dry before roasting... any water will make it sloppy and sticky....

You are soooo right - I was so excited thinking about them, I forgot some of those key details ! Thanks for catching that! TEAM WORK!!! YEAH!
  • tnqnt
    Options

You are soooo right - I was so excited thinking about them, I forgot some of those key details ! Thanks for catching that! TEAM WORK!!! YEAH!

:) Absolutely ... I once made the mistake of using frozen uncooked pre-cut chunks (never again)... it turned out so mushy and sloppy due to all of the water from it being frozen - .. .still tasted good but did not caramelize and it just wasn't what I usually get for a result :):):)
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
    2.5 lb butternut squash, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    3 tbsps olive oil
    1/3 cup shallots or onions, small dice (I used shallots)
    1 cup water, more as needed
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated and packed
    1/3 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
    1/8 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
    salt to taste
    2 tbsps unsalted butter
    12 medium sage leaves, fresh
    extra grated Parmesan for topping
    freshly ground black pepper
    Preheat oven to 350°F. In a roasting pan, toss the butternut squash cubes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper together until the squash is evenly coated. Roast the squash for 45 minutes, giving them a stir with a spatula every 15 minutes until the squash is fork-tender. Remove from oven and place the butternut squash in a blender or food processor. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small frying pan and sauté the shallots or onions until they start to brown. This takes a few minutes. Place the onions in the blender or food processor along with a cup of water. Add more water as needed – mine was super thick so I ended up using 2 cups of water. Purée the squash until smooth. Empty the contents into a medium saucepan and set on low heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), nutmeg, and salt to taste. You don’t want it to boil (and you don’t want the cheese to melt into a giant clump), just heat the sauce. Meanwhile, melt the unsalted butter in a small pan on high heat. When hot, place the fresh sage leaves in a single layer in the butter and fry. Turn them over after 30 seconds and continue to fry until crisp. Remove from pan. Serve the butternut squash sauce over any pasta (I like it with fettuccine – we had a pound of pasta) and sprinkle Parmesan, salt, and black pepper on top. Serves 4.
  • roguestates
    Options
    these recipes are fabulous!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tnqnt
    Options
    my advice --- ROAST IT! ... Peel it, core it, and then cut it up in small chunks (about 1/2-1 inch square).... put it on a pan, drizzle with EVOO salt, pepper and cumin ... roast it in 450 degree oven 20-25 minutes, turn over half way through... make sure you get good caramelization... tastes like home fries! DELICIOUS!

You can then do anything with this stuff.
    If you want it pureed, put it in cuisinart and mix with sauteed shallots and nutmeg and stuff this into some wonton or egg roll wrappers with maybe some black beans and a teeny bit of Parmagiano reggiano , brush with eggwash or evoo and bake like a baked ravioli....

You can use this puree in butternut squash lasagna... Giada has an INCREDIBLE recipe here ( you can lighten it by reducing cream and using low fat milk or evaporated milk:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-lasagna-recipe/index.html

Cooking Light has a YUMMY recipe too, here:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-lasagna-10000000698656/

Or, just put the roasted bits in a salad or in burritos with refried beans...

can you tell I LOVEEEE Butternut squash?? YUM! Remember, let them brown a bit - caramelization is KEY!

OH - this mixture, too - try it in Phyllo dough... just don't use butter on the phyllo - use just evoo spray...
    layer phyllo with the butternut squash mixture to make into a pastry .... bake it and then make a COLD dipping sauce using greek yogurt or light sour cream mixed with onion powder, garlic powder, s&p and either avocado or roasted red peppers - blend in cuisinart.. YUM
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oooh I just remembered - with fresh sage and a little strong blue cheese, some homemade chicken stock and brown rice, make a risotto (stirring in pre roasted cubes of bns to heat through for the last few minutes). Yum, and I want some NOW!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    the most tasty veg EVER! bump!
    yesssss bns and mashed turnips make me go crazy. LOVE them.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not something I'd have all the time but my daughter hates butternut squash and loves this dish:

Creamy Butternut Tagliatelle

Prep Time: 15 min
    Total: 35 min

250g tagliatelle
    2 tsp olive oil
    3 cups peeled and cubed (small pieces) butternut squash (about 400g) - I cheated and bought already peeled and chunked squash and then cut it into smaller pieces
    1/2 tsp salt
    150-g pkg garlic-and-fine-herbs cheese, like Boursin

Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions but omitting salt. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water for sauce.

Heat a large non-stick fying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then squash and salt. Season with pepper. Cook until squash is tender and starts to brown, about 10 min. Add 3/4 cup water and cook until it is absorbed and squash is fully cooked, about 5 more min. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add reserved pasta water and stir in cheese. Simmer until smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 min. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Season with pepper.

Serves 4. Per serving: 446 calories, 11g protein, 60g carbs, 20g fat, 4g fibre, 518mg sodium.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great ideas to try.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Split it in half, place flesh up in a 450 oven for an hour or so. Mash up with just a bit of butter and salt. Perfection.