insanity? opinions please

Options
hi guys

thinking of doing insanity to boost my weight loss on top of all my sports... anyone doing it/done it that can give me their completely honest opinions? how many cals did you burn roughly each workout etc? if you have pics that would be awesome too :)

Replies

• BBcoachJSMottin
    Options
    I'm doing it now. Just finished the recovery week. 20.2 lbs lost in 5 weeks. It works! Just know that it is high impact, so be careful if you have knee or shoulder probs. I do have before and current pics as well.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did it for 3 weeks but couldn't commit to it.

It is a great workout and in the 3 weeks, I saw definite results.

Another great workout is TapouT XT.

Good luck
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just started it about 4 days ago and am loving it,it will definitely kick your butt and give a good calorie burn!
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    I tried it for three weeks as well. I loved the intensity of it but my feet would kill me during the exercises. Note: I was doing the program in a room with hardwood floors. Other than that I loved it.

Good luck if you decide to do it. Have fun and enjoy it. Also, good luck meeting your goals! :)
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. No injury problems, do high impact sports anyway so shouldnt be a problem :)
  • HelloAdamB
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of Insanity and I’m loving it. 90 days ago I was 200 pounds - now I'm 164. At my current weight I’m finding that I can handle the impact associated with Insanity but at 200 I’m not so sure I'd have been able to do it - for two reasons:
    1. I’ve got no cartilage in my right knee from a past injury and there is a lot of jumping, etc.
    2. My general fitness - I think I’d have had real difficulty keeping up.

I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred over 60 days and it was an awesome pre-Insanity program – JM says to do level 1, 2 and 3 for 10 days each but I did 20 days each and it worked well for me.

At the end of the day though, you know your own body - I actually (perversely) love getting up at 6:30 a.m. to get my morning butt-kicking... P90X next baby.
  • CraigeyBoy
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of Insanity and I’m loving it. 90 days ago I was 200 pounds - now I'm 164. At my current weight I’m finding that I can handle the impact associated with Insanity but at 200 I’m not so sure I'd have been able to do it - for two reasons:
    1. I’ve got no cartilage in my right knee from a past injury and there is a lot of jumping, etc.

I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred over 60 days and it was an awesome pre-Insanity program – JM says to do level 1, 2 and 3 for 10 days each but I did 20 days each and it worked well for me.

At the end of the day though, you know your own body - I actually (perversely) love getting up at 6:30 a.m. to get my morning butt-kicking... P90X next baby.

Adam that is quite a recommendation...

How much time do you spend preparing your workout area and doing insanity each day?

I am intrigued by it but worried I do not have enough Protein in my diet - do you have any tips?
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options

How much time do you spend preparing your workout area and doing insanity each day?

I am intrigued by it but worried I do not have enough Protein in my diet - do you have any tips?

Do you have to get up so early?
    Can I not just eat more cheese?
    What do you do Craig?
  • HelloAdamB
    Options

Do you have to get up so early?
    Can I not just eat more cheese?
    What do you do Craig?

Hi Craig - I'm no expert when it comes to protein but I spend a minute or so sliding the DVD into my bluray player. It's quite a chore.

Hi MonkeyBars - I know some people who get up at 5:30 every morning :)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If I am to get a workout in I have to be up at 5:15 every day. Sucks, but there's no other time in my day to workout.

I did Insanity last year. And while my endurance went up, I really didn't see any other results personally. That's not to say that it's a bad program (it's not), but just that my body was likely revolting due to the already lost 60 lbs that year. I've been meaning to do it again after finishing my last round of P90X, but I've been lazy and over sleeping the last week and a half :(
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    what sort of crazy person gets up before 7:30am?

ps - is that your gut hanging out under your dress?
  • HelloAdamB
    Options
    what sort of crazy person gets up before 7:30am?

ps - is that your gut hanging out under your dress?

Yes it is. I'm trying to get to a point where it doesn't hang out underneath my dress. I'm so glad I found Insanity.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What is insanity please?? Sounds like something I would love to try!
  • derainey1
    derainey1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been considering trying it because I am at the point where I would like to tone up because the cardio has gotten the weight off. Seems like it would be great for toning purposes, but I don't think that I eat enough to avoid losing more weight than desirable and healthy for my height. Any thoughts on that?
  • dtenzie
    Options
    If you want to increase your sports performance than I would recommend Insanity's Asylum. Insanity will make you better no matter what sport you do but take a look at the Asylum commerical. Check it out on Youtube..If you have any questions let me know. I am a Beachbody Coach and have done most of the programs :-).
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the programming behind Insanity. No beginner should be doing that amount of jumping all the time. It seems way more beneficial to me to just change up you diet and go for the lifestyle change rather than the quick change
  • BBcoachJSMottin
    Options
    First of all, Insanity isn't just about quick weight loss. Yes it does help with that, but it's also making your body stronger and healthier. I'm on round 4. The first three ended early because of injury. I've been able to modify what is necesarry to keep it from happening again. Anyone can modify it to meet their own needs. I know beginners that HAVE done it and never had a problem. If the jumping causes issues for you, don't do those exercises or modify it until you reach the point where you can. Simple as that. It's not a program that you have to do 100% the same as they do on the video. It's all about growth. In the video, Shaun T even talks about going at your own pace to help prevent injury.

For those that don't understand it, don't do it. It's that simple. For those that want to do it and do have some joint issues, I highly recommend consulting a doc first.

@derainey1- You kinda answered your own question. You just have to eat a bit more if you do it. About the comment about losing more weight than is desireable or healthy for your height, the first part is what you want to focus on. I'm assuming you are refering to BMI when talking about healthy for your height. The healthy for your height stuff is BS. Its all about body composition. I have a bigger frame, so for me to hit a "healthy" BMI is all but impossible. I would literally have to hit less than 5% body fat to reach the up range of what is proper weight according to BMI. Go by the true measurables other than weight to determine healthy- Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Heart Rate, Blood Glucose, etc. Proper levels on those tests are what helps determine health, not a certain weight for a certain hight. My friend and I are both considered overweight according to BMI, though our body fat % is within healthy levels. His is right around 10%, yet his weight due to his extra lean muscle mass puts him in the "obese" category.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did the entire 63 days and grew to love it. It was very difficult the first couple of weeks just motivating myself to get up and do it at 4am before work.
    I actually gained a couple lbs. the first 2-3 weeks and the started to lose about week 5 through 9. I had already lost 28 lbs. over a year of eating better. It got me totally in shape though and definitely strengthed my core.
    Now i am doing a hybrid of P90x and Insanity. Started P90x but when I got to P90x Plyo workout I felt it was too easy so I have substituted the Insanity Max Plyo. Also subbing out the Yoga and X stretch with Insanity alternatives.

You will love it if you commit to it.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also, I dropped 32 points on Cholesterol in the first 50 days of Insanity. That was my primary goal.