Is there any dangerous levels of exercise?

Options
70 minutes cycling done earlier,about half of it leisurely,plan to do maybe an hour more and meet a friend for a 2 mile run,this combined with dieting,I assume it's safe?. Already very fit,eating was my vice.

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Listed to your body. If you are in pain for feel exhausted then you are doing too much.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Is there any dangerous levels of exercise?

Crossfit
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend training over an hour a day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Why?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is that a typical level of exercise for you, or is this a one off thing?
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you feel fit and conditioned enough and have the energy for it, I don't see why not (although I'm sure others will disagree). Just be sure you're well-hydrated and well-fueled, and if you start to feel fatigued, pull back or stop all together. And don't push too hard tomorrow. But you haven't done close to that much in a long time, or ever, it sounds over-ambitiousl.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Why?

Several studies I've read regarding female dancers and runners revealed that consistently training more than 1 hour a day can lead to several health complications.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Why?

Several studies I've read regarding female dancers and runners revealed that consistently training more than 1 hour a day can lead to several health complications.

For example? (I'm not being snarky, just curious.......I know quite a few female triathletes and marathon runners who don't seem to exhibit any "health complications")
  • ZowieF
    Options
    Hi I could probably run a half marathon now,I usually run for about 40 minutes but could easily do twice or 3 times that on rare occasions,the difference today being that I'm pumping the bicyle for 90 minutes as well in the hope of burning calories...and eat a bit less,that's 2 days and feels ok....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    70 minutes cycling done earlier,about half of it leisurely,plan to do maybe an hour more and meet a friend for a 2 mile run,this combined with dieting,I assume it's safe?. Already very fit,eating was my vice.

It's mostly cardiovascular work. Do as much as you want. :)

As long as you are eating at least some of those calories back, because otherwise you're going to be VERY hungry and you won't be able to support that level of exercise very long.

Also, drink plenty of water.

And understand that you'll probably be sore tomorrow. Do the same exercises at a lower intensity level for a couple of days, then hit it hard again. Each time, your activity threshold will increase.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Listed to your body. If you are in pain for feel exhausted then you are doing too much.
    Agreed. But also listen to your hunger drive. If you have a busy day, and do more than usual, feel free to eat more (high quality food, like fruits and veggies) than usual, despite your "diet".
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are actually many types of "dangerous" I can think of.

The first is obvious- doing so much that it poses health risks. This is like if you eat 1,200 kcal and are biking for 4 hours a day. Or you're passing out

The second is less obvious and might be debated by some people here- doing so much that you become obsessive about it or have an unhealthy attitude towards exercise. Examples would be like, if you were exercising only to burn calories, so your 2 mi run became "I HAVE TO RUN TO BURN OFF THESE 180 EXTRA CALORIES." Or if you were saying no to a family dinner with your parents who you see maybe twice a year because you have to go to the gym a second time that day.

The third is more scientific... you can actually overtrain. Check your RHR for a few days. If your RHR goes up on average 10 bpm during any phase of your training, you know you're overtraining and need to rest if you want to see performance improvement.