Sore muscle remedies?

Options
2»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you're just a vegetarian and not vegan, whey would be fine right? Since it's derived from milk.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/soy-the-protein-killer/
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath has helped me before.

this - and more exercise - try making sure you're getting the RDA of magnesium - it helps with muscles a lot!
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're just a vegetarian and not vegan, whey would be fine right? Since it's derived from milk.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/soy-the-protein-killer/

For now, yeah. But eventually I'd like to go fully vegan and eliminate all animal-based products.

Man, that sucks. Stupid advertising making it sound awesome and getting me excited about soy...

Looks like I have some more homework to do!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well up until now it hasn't been a problem at all. Since Saturday I started hurting all over-I didn't think that ballet would be that tough on my muscles...but Geez it was!
    [/quote]

I start ballet class Thursday and now I'm scared!
  • got2bstrong
    Options
    Keep hydrated.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein.
    KEEP MOVING! After exercise, you can get DOMS 24-48 hous after working out. (delayed onset muscle soreness) This is good. It is your body letting you know you were working some new muscles...
    SO KEEP MOVING! And make sure you get a good cool down/stretch AFTER your workout.

You can also try contrast bath (alternating hot/cold water) and I can't say enough for a good massage therapist!

:)
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Ice. Either put ice pack on the areas for about 5 min a few times a day, or of you can handle it get in an ice bath.
    And massage.
    But go remedial massage and someone that know what they are talking about, sometimes deep work is needed but you don't want any deep work if you have a big session coming up light massage will still help with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
  • ebony__
    Options
    Keep hydrated.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein.
    KEEP MOVING! After exercise, you can get DOMS 24-48 hous after working out. (delayed onset muscle soreness) This is good. It is your body letting you know you were working some new muscles...
    SO KEEP MOVING! And make sure you get a good cool down/stretch AFTER your workout.

You can also try contrast bath (alternating hot/cold water) and I can't say enough for a good massage therapist!

:)

^^^ this
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    DRUM ROLL PLEASE...............COCONUT MILK!!!

The magnesium helps balance the activity in nerve cells (contracting muscles)

Unsweetened preferably, don't need extra junk dehydrating you.

And guess my next suggestion, HYDRATION. Even if you think you drink enough water throughout the day, drink more.

My daughter and I do a series of martial arts, gymnastics, and ballet...I feel your pain! ;D
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    An epsom salt (cheap at your local drugstore) soak, followed by pain relievers. As long as you're not having stabbing pain, you should continue to work out.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Oh, right, and ice :)
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Magnesium. And a foam roller.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk.. and I'm not kidding. It has all the right nutrients in it to help sore muscles heal. Google it!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I second the exercise again. Had this issue last week, went for a brief walk/jog. Killed at first, but I felt way more limber by the end. And I'm talking 5-10 minutes, that's it.

Plus heating pads on the quads did WONDERS for me.

Be careful with the magnesium--too much can cause diarrhea (ask me how I know).
  • ebony__
    Options
    Exercise again for sure but turn the intensity down just a little. Muscles need to strengthen but also recuperate