Heavy lifting I don't know where to start

Options
I don't have a gym membership and I don't own any equipment, but I want to do heavy lifting /strength because I have been reading it virtues on MFP for a while. I have never done any kind of lifting, save for weight machines, low weight high reps about 6 years ago.

I can't see to understand enough to get started. I have no idea where to start or what to buy. The other downside is I don't have a lot of space in my house to keep things. My mind starts glossing over when the things I am reading say "You'll want a power rack sooner not later" and I feel stuck. When I search the forums I am finding more "This is why you want to heavy lift," instead of "This is where you start."

Do I want kettleballs, adjustable dumbbells? What is a squat bench anyway? I need the primer for dummies and the school supply list for beginning lifters. I can't join the gym. I do most of my work outs while my kid is sleeping. I have a small house, so I can't get anything huge. Can I even do heavy lifting safely with those restrictions?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My advice is resistance bands and there are couple programs that can be done with minimal equipment.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can do this with dumbbells or resistance bads. You would need to figure how to adjust for resistance bands though.

You are your Own Gym. Needs very minimal stuff.

Both of the above are books.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    In your case, I'd suggest looking into a program like 'You Are Your own Gym' or convict conditioning.