In the right zone to burn fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The harder you work your body, the greater the release of cortisol. Cortisol will decrease fat burning.

The more regularly you exercise (and your fitness improves hence less of a "stress" reaction) the less cortisol is released and the endorphins released go a long way to mitigate any effect cortisol may have.

I'm inclined to think that cortisol release is a poor excuse to stay low intensity.......(weights or cardio)

I see your point. I actually wasn't trying to make an excuse for staying low intensity, but was just suggesting that as a potential reason for the problems she had with weight loss before changing her program. There is something to said for taking a rest period.

Understood!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Isnt it awesome how everyones advice is the complete total opposite of someone elses and they all contradict eachother. I just dont know why people get confused at all... (sarcasm font please)

I haven't seen a lot of contradiction in this thread - in fact it seems pretty close to unanimous (is this a first for MFP??:laugh: :laugh: ). Fire the trainer, forget zone 2 & exercise at a higher intensity.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Isnt it awesome how everyones advice is the complete total opposite of someone elses and they all contradict eachother. I just dont know why people get confused at all... (sarcasm font please)

I haven't seen a lot of contradiction in this thread - in fact it seems pretty close to unanimous (is this a first for MFP??:laugh: :laugh: ). Fire the trainer, forget zone 2 & exercise at a higher intensity.

unless you want to burn fat in which case you should avoid cortisol and exercise at a lower intensity and make sure you eat your carbs in the morning no, wait, at night...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    unless you want to burn fat in which case you should avoid cortisol and exercise at a lower intensity and make sure you eat your carbs in the morning no, wait, at night...

A lot of it really depends on what type of excercise you do, when you do it, what your goals are, etc.
    So there are going to be variables, and everyone has their opinion on the right way.

cortisol can actually BURN fat as well.