Counting Calories....

Options
So I normally buy the same brand of ground turkey every week. However this week they were out so i ended up buying the publix brand. With that said it not only tastes really different but for 4oz of the other brand was 170 calories. The publix brand is 240 calories. I now only have 134 calories left for the day, granted I know i will work out and gain some calories back but i really hate dipping into those burned calories.

So here is my question,

If it is a healthy clean food that i eat for dinner and dip into my burned calories how bad is that for me? Will it make me have a gain rather than a lose? Will it really matter if it is a clean food? I need help and feel free to look at my diary for the day and give all opinions please!!!!!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you consistently go over on your calories, you will not lose weight. It doesn't matter if you eat them all from celery or hot dogs. However, if you are just over your calories remaining by the 70 calories you are talking about, you will still lose weight, it just decreases your deficit a little so the weight loss will be slower for this 1 day.

On a side note, I wouldn't really consider any type of ground meat a "clean food".
  • Lovelybirdxx
    Lovelybirdxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    if you consistently go over on your calories, you will not lose weight. It doesn't matter if you eat them all from celery or hot dogs. However, if you are just over your calories remaining by the 70 calories you are talking about, you will still lose weight, it just decreases your deficit a little so the weight loss will be slower for this 1 day.

On a side note, I wouldn't really consider any type of ground meat a "clean food".

I hear you on considering it a clean food but it is a hell of a lot better than ground beef or something else i could be eating. So far ground turkey is a good protein, a lot lower in calories than any other meat other than white fish, and i like it so much better than chicken.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    kinda. As you figured out, just like ground beef, ground turkey can be purchased in different ratios of fat content. The publix brand you bought was apparently a pretty high fat product. You could have bought lean ground beef and had less calories and "better nutrition".

So, I kind of depends on what you are considering healthy. I personally try not to eat any ground meats just because that is traditionally what the butchers do with all the meat they can't sell otherwise. However, I will admit that I eat it occasionally and that it can be a decent, low cost protein if you are careful with fat content and additives.

No matter, on MFP your calories remaining should be zero at the end of the day. If you go negative, your weight loss slows and if you go negative as much as the deficit you have set up, your weight loss stops (or gains if you go over your deficit). Its all about calories.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Going over by less than 100 calories for the day is not going to significantly affect your weight loss.