Do you count calories, and/or carbs, fat, and protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Delovelybella87
    Options
    I try to have a good balance being I burn more calories then I consume but would say I eat more protein then anything else and try to keep my carbs under 60 g a day
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I count calories to manage overall weight and macronutrients for overall heath. My priority on the macros is protein 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, then fat about .4 grams per lb of body weight, then carbs with the rest.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I count everything and keep protein high and carbs reasonably low. My main goal is calories in, calories out - I know if I blow it with something I am craving I still have to stay within my calorie goal for the week. So if I have a high calorie day I have to compensate by exercising more or eating less the next day, etc.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is: calories in vs calories out. You can lose weight so long as you burn more than you consume.

It's up to you if you want to strictly lose weight or improve overall health. Your overall health is dependent on your balance of macros & micros. Eating 90% carbs isn't healthy and neither is eating 90% protein. Balance is key... giving your body many different foods so that you're taking in proper ratios of vitamins & minerals. Must this balance be achieved every day? Not necessarily. It's reasonable to look at your intake over a week's time to check that you're getting everything you need.

Eating for health while creating a sensible caloric deficit will result in healthy weight loss, IMHO the best kind!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I count calories and aim to get sufficient protein and fat.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't count the carb/fat/protein ratios, I just eat what I want, which tends to be high fat/protein.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I watch calories...but try to also be aware of what I'm doing with fiber and vitamins. It helps me make decisions about what to eat when.
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is: calories in vs calories out. You can lose weight so long as you burn more than you consume.

It's up to you if you want to strictly lose weight or improve overall health. Your overall health is dependent on your balance of macros & micros. Eating 90% carbs isn't healthy and neither is eating 90% protein. Balance is key... giving your body many different foods so that you're taking in proper ratios of vitamins & minerals. Must this balance be achieved every day? Not necessarily. It's reasonable to look at your intake over a week's time to check that you're getting everything you need.

Eating for health while creating a sensible caloric deficit will result in healthy weight loss, IMHO the best kind!

thanks! This reply was definitely what I was looking for! Thanks!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I track my calories, protein and carbs. I dont count my fats, I just try to incorporate the more healthy fats in and I tend to buy things that are low fat anyway. I aim for high protein because that is what works for me :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I aim to hit my protein/fat/carb macros, and then the calories will look after themselves.