Calories Burned?

Options
Is it possible to burn 212 calories walking fast for 15 minutes? I just purchased a new HRM and that is what it said I burned. That seems like a lot of calories.

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I usually burn about 100 cal. per mile. I can walk about a mile in 15 minutes so 200 does seem a bit high. What kind of HRM is it?
  • a00link
    Options
    It also depends on your weight and age. I am a 24 year old 197 lb male who typically burns anywhere between 10-15 calories on the treadmill. If I was heavier, in theory I'd burn more calories. On some machines when I'm working at my max, I burn 20 calories a minute. So your 212 at 15 min is about 14 calories a minute which may or may not be right depending on your factors. It's certainly possible, but plausible, I don't know because I'm not you.

My guess is that it might be a little high, but again, if your heart rate was up there near it's max, it's possible.
  • judithwelch
    judithwelch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor. I entered in my weight, and Max Heart Rate when setting it up. I just don't want to record the wrong amount of calories burned.
  • judithwelch
    Options
    I am 35 and weigh 230. My heart rate average was 118. My resting heart rate is between 60-80.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I burn about 100 to 120 calories a mile which takes about 13-15 minutes. my weight is 118. I think this is about right. your weight will make a difference.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    also, you must subtract your bmr calories.
    find your bmr (there's a calculator on the site), divide that by 24, and subtract that amount from your total for every hour you exercise.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    A few things.
    1st make sure the HRM is set for you. You should have to put in age, weight, height.
    2nd it is way higher when you first begin exercising. Once you get more fit, your body gets used to it and you burn less cals.

Example:
    I was 47 yr old female. Sedentary, I mean no exercise but walking to my car. I weighed 168 and am 5'2"

When I started exercising I burned 300 calories in my 30 minute slow walk.

Now, after 1.5 years working out, lifting weights and exercising 4-5 days a week (along with all around more movement each day. Today as I waited for a client to come home I went up and down 20 stairs 10 times instead of sitting in my car)

Now I run/walk combo for 40 minutes and barely hit 300! But my heart is healthier, it beats fewer counts per minute because it is more efficient.

I hope I answered some of your questions
  • judithwelch
    Options
    I was able to set it for my weight but didn't see a way to set it for age and height. I am going to see if I can figure out how to set the age and height on it. I have only been working out for a couple of months.

arewethereyet
    Joined Jan 2008
    Fri 12/18/09 03:47 PMA few things.
    1st make sure the HRM is set for you. You should have to put in age, weight, height.
    2nd it is way higher when you first begin exercising. Once you get more fit, your body gets used to it and you burn less cals.

Example:
    I was 47 yr old female. Sedentary, I mean no exercise but walking to my car. I weighed 168 and am 5'2"

When I started exercising I burned 300 calories in my 30 minute slow walk.

Now, after 1.5 years working out, lifting weights and exercising 4-5 days a week (along with all around more movement each day. Today as I waited for a client to come home I went up and down 20 stairs 10 times instead of sitting in my car)

Now I run/walk combo for 40 minutes and barely hit 300! But my heart is healthier, it beats fewer counts per minute because it is more efficient.

I hope I answered some of your questions

"I am going to eat healthy and exercise more, if I lose some weight along the way, BONUS!!"
    Love, Jeannie
    GOAL: 56 miles in December