Swimming

Options
Hi,

Since I am not fond of running, I decided to swim. I do about 40 laps (1 km) in half an hour twice a week. I start with 20 laps (3 crawl, 1 breaststroke) then I do kick only, then arms only, a litlle bit of back crawl.

Anyone has suggestions to add a little diversity to that?

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My swimming is terrible so I can't offer anything other than kudos on knocking off a km in the pool in half an hour........
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you really want some variety, throw some fly in there and really work your shoulders out. Then add some water jogging before your cool down.
  • Backstroke - V good for concentrating on either arms or legs or working both
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Backstroke, that's what I meant by back crawl (that's how we call it in French, sorry for the bad translation)

As for fly, I do one or two laps and I'm totally worn out :blushing:

I saw a guy doing the jogging thing yesterday. I was a bit puzzled about the effectiveness of it.
  • water jogging is a good workout if you sit a bit low in the water and punch your arms through the water...very tiring and good workout. I usually try to do high knees at a fast rate with the water up to my chest and exaggerate my arm swing. If that is too easy, try and doing it with your palms open....
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Count how many breaths is takes you to get through a length then try decreasing it by one for the next length or two. You can also time one length, then speed up for the next 4 lengths and repeat intervals. One thing I like to do is swim with a float between my legs and use hand paddles. Sometimes I will only use my paddles the entire workout and do speed intervals.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Try doing a couple of laps using your legs only, your will feel it in your lower abdomen muscles! :-)