Looking for others (women) trying to gain strength

Options
Hi there,

I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks now, but the information overload here on the forums has left me confused and in need of someone in the same situation as I. You see, I don't really want/need to lose a lot of weight, but I do want to firm up and be stronger than I am right now. But since there is so much variety in information and tips on how to do that on the forums here, and even more if you just google it, I don't really know what to do next (what to eat, which type of exercise would help me most/fits my budget etc).

I'm a poor student whose university doesn't have any good gym memberships available and really bad gym equipment to begin with. This is why I'm trying to get in shape at home, atm using mostly body weight exercises and pilates type moves/a little yoga for flexibility.

So, if there are people out there who are also in the process of gaining strength and muscle, but do not want/need to lose a lot of weight, please help me! (I wrote women in the subject but guys are also welcome of course if they feel they can help me!)

And for everyone on MFP: I am so impressed by what you are all doing and the community that you've created here!

Sonja (from the Netherlands btw)

Replies

• jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weigh to lose either. In fact, I've stopped focusing on the scale and started measuring inches lost instead. Today I start a weight lifting program for the first time. I'm a little nervous about it, but from all my reading it appears the best way to get stronger and gain lean muscle as I lose fat. Feel free to add me, and we'll share informatino about how to do it. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'm always reading new things.
  • msswinter
    Options
    Added you as a friend! :D looking forward to seeing how you do with the weights!
    any more people trying to get stronger???
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks now, but the information overload here on the forums has left me confused and in need of someone in the same situation as I. You see, I don't really want/need to lose a lot of weight, but I do want to firm up and be stronger than I am right now. But since there is so much variety in information and tips on how to do that on the forums here, and even more if you just google it, I don't really know what to do next (what to eat, which type of exercise would help me most/fits my budget etc).

I'm a poor student whose university doesn't have any good gym memberships available and really bad gym equipment to begin with. This is why I'm trying to get in shape at home, atm using mostly body weight exercises and pilates type moves/a little yoga for flexibility.

So, if there are people out there who are also in the process of gaining strength and muscle, but do not want/need to lose a lot of weight, please help me! (I wrote women in the subject but guys are also welcome of course if they feel they can help me!)

And for everyone on MFP: I am so impressed by what you are all doing and the community that you've created here!

Sonja (from the Netherlands btw)

Personally Im a gym member and do use weights to workout, however, go over to www.nerdfitness.com there are some epic bodyweight workouts with little to no equipment on there :)
  • Fat_to_muscles
    Options
    Hi Sonja,

I have the same goal as you (although I wouldn't mind losing another 2kg or so in the process ;)). I also work out at home or do other 'free' exercises (e.g., running, cycling, tennis). Home fitness videos are great, I buy them for about 5 pounds. Try the 30 day shred and stuff like that. It really changed my body into a much nicer shape (and I had already been a half-marathon runner for 2 years, which did not make the changes in my body I was so desperately looking for!).

I'm from the Netherlands too, although I've lived in England for the past 4 years. Feel free to add me if you like.

Cheers,
    Linda
  • msswinter
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Amy and Linda! I'll be sure to look into those websites and DVD's :)
    I also added both of you as friends if that's ok?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    That's fine lovely :)