Struggling with eating enough.

Options

Replies

• altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating Nutricious foods that contain a higher amount of calories. Whole wheat bread, any kind of all natural nut butters, granola/protein bars, and avocados are great. There are many many foods i have learned to eat that are very nutricious and contain higher calories in order to reach my goals :)

I already eat whole wheat bread and I've been trying granola bars recently. They're nice but they seem to be really high in sugar! Can't say I've ever tried avocados before though :/

This is way more difficult than I thought it would be -.-
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    How about trying some seeds? Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds?? You could add these things into other foods to boost the calorie content. And can you eat nuts? 1 oz of peanuts is 164 calories. I eat peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and even pecans (those will REALLY up your calories! lol) Avocados are full of healthy fats as well. Use olive oil in your cooking for a healthy calorie boost.

I gotta admit, this is a foreign concept to me, since I freaking LOVE to eat, but hopefully some of these things might fit into your plan? Best wishes!!

I've never really tried seeds before but I suppose I could! I can eat nuts but the only ones I've ever liked are peanuts :) aand I already use olive oil! Life saver that thing is!

I'm jealous of the people that I see who are wondering whether they're eating too much! I wish it'd be that easy for me!
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Small choc chip cookies are 50 cals each. Have with milk. Voila.

....but I don't even like them :(
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    perhaps you can share whats your normal 1 day meal looks like.

I find it so easy to hit 1200 and above as I love food and when I exercise, I feel so hungry. will be happy to share with you how to bump it up.

If you want I guess I could open my diary up for a while? Even though I'd be rather embarrassed! Last week I believe I was hitting around 1400 calories but I know I'm gonna start struggling again. Because if my calories are around 900 for the day then all I do is eat bad stuff that boosts my calories up!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Fussy fart :p

Drink some orange juice - 300mls is like 120 cals from memory. Have an apple. Nom a mango (they are ****ing delicious). Eat some chocolate. A slice of toast with jam. :D
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Try Greek yogurt and bananas with some honey and cinnamon. Pretty yummy! It has a pretty good calorie count as well as being healthy food.

Ooh I do like the sound of that! How much honey though? Because I view about 500 tonnes of it as being acceptable :')
  • altacosturabeth
    Options

Drink some orange juice - 300mls is like 120 cals from memory. Have an apple. Nom a mango (they are ****ing delicious). Eat some chocolate. A slice of toast with jam. :D

Me and orange juice don't go well together either :') I like apple juice though? Oh and apples. Don't like mangos. Bloody love chocolate. Ooh and I like jam!

See, I did a little better there :)
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Foods with healthy oils that are high in calories. ie nuts and seeds, oily fish, avacados, huomous, add olive oil or rapeseed oil for cooking. All great for heart health, helps get rid of the bad cholesterol, and an easy way of taking in enough cals if you can't eat enough.

Oil has been a sort of life saver for me in terms of calories! It's brilliant stuff!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Me and orange juice don't go well together either :') I like apple juice though? Oh and apples. Don't like mangos. Bloody love chocolate. Ooh and I like jam!

Apple juice is good too. A small amount of chocolate won't do you any harm and recent research is showing cocoa to be quite beneficial :)
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes the store bought bars are loaded with ridiculous amounts of unecassary sugar which is why i started making my own. I use old fashioned oatmeal, all natural peanut butter, organic honey, dried berries, almonds/walnuts, vanilla extract, and some good chocolate protein isolate powder and people wont stop asking me to make them some now. If you want the full recipe just ask, they are completely all natural with no added sugar and are super healthy at only 200 cals/each.
  • altacosturabeth
    Options

Apple juice is good too. A small amount of chocolate won't do you any harm and recent research is showing cocoa to be quite beneficial :)

I did get some 80% somethingorother dark chocolate a few weeks ago. That was pretty decent.
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Yes the store bought bars are loaded with ridiculous amounts of unecassary sugar which is why i started making my own. I use old fashioned oatmeal, all natural peanut butter, organic honey, dried berries, almonds/walnuts, vanilla extract, and some good chocolate protein isolate powder and people wont stop asking me to make them some now. If you want the full recipe just ask, they are completely all natural with no added sugar and are super healthy at only 200 cals/each.

Ahh they sound pretty decent! I may consider them! My only problem with things like that is the price. I do make my own meals for tea (I believe pretty much everyone else in the world calls this 'dinner') and that costs quite a bit which is annoying because it's not my own money that's being spent. That's another thing that I find quite difficult with this healthy eating!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    How are you with dried fruit? Can usually eat quite a lot without feeling full so would bump calories up. Or making smoothies with fruit?

Even making a none freeze yoghurt / ice cream? Buy some frozen fruit (I go for strawberries and rasperries), don't defrost it, just throw it in your blender and add a yoghurt of your choice. Voila.... yummy frozen yoghurt. (don't put left overs in freezer though as it goes solid and you can't get it out the tub for ages lol)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Or make your own flapjack with fruit and nuts?
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ya i have had this discussion with alot of people how eating healthier is just more expensive than not and its really a shame. You would think overprocessed and chemically engineered foods would be more expensive than fruits or veggies that were just grown on a farm but sadly its not the case. I struggled with this in the beginning of my diet change but went searching and found the stores that have what i need. I would say i spend about 50$ every 2 weeks on all the healthy food i eat but i really attribute that to a store i go to here called price rite which is ridiculously cheap. You just have to figure out what you want to eat consistently and go searching for the best bargain on those items.
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    How are you with dried fruit? Can usually eat quite a lot without feeling full so would bump calories up. Or making smoothies with fruit?

Even making a none freeze yoghurt / ice cream? Buy some frozen fruit (I go for strawberries and rasperries), don't defrost it, just throw it in your blender and add a yoghurt of your choice. Voila.... yummy frozen yoghurt. (don't put left overs in freezer though as it goes solid and you can't get it out the tub for ages lol)

Oh yeah I do like dried fruit :D especially raisins!

Hah, I tried that once but it went awfully wrong! I may have to get my mum to help me next time even though I'm not sure there'd be much difference! I do have a big bag of frozen fruit just chillin' in my freezer now :')

And I love flapjacks. If I could make an acceptable flapjack I would be able to die happy. That was a wonderful idea, well done!
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Ya i have had this discussion with alot of people how eating healthier is just more expensive than not and its really a shame. You would think overprocessed and chemically engineered foods would be more expensive than fruits or veggies that were just grown on a farm but sadly its not the case. I struggled with this in the beginning of my diet change but went searching and found the stores that have what i need. I would say i spend about 50$ every 2 weeks on all the healthy food i eat but i really attribute that to a store i go to here called price rite which is ridiculously cheap. You just have to figure out what you want to eat consistently and go searching for the best bargain on those items.

It is really frustrating! Even more so with the fact that it's usually just me eating it so we end up buying more than we need. We do all our weekly shopping at just a normal supermarket so I have to try and find everything there! I have only just started making my own food though and I've already found some things I definitely won't be making again so hopefully after a while I'll be able to whittle my list down a little!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You need to look at eating higher calorie healthy foods. I can't imagine. I'm petite and maintaining and don't have weight to lose either but I have no problem getting enough calories. In fact I still have to give up one high calorie item to have another and can't eat everything I want without going over budget. I sort of wish I had your problem.

It's really depends on what your BF is regarding how your body will react to eating at a deficit. But you don't have to eat the same every day, maybe just eat higher on the days you are hungry an low on other days. It's not like you will go into starvation mode in just one day, and that is if your body fat is even low enough for that to happen.

"The Reverse Taper Diet " :

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

Oddly enough, it seems as though some obese people have an unbelievable amount of fat available as a fuel, but a lower ability to burn that fat, whereas as they get leaner, they have less and less fat available as a fuel, but a greater and greater ability to burn the fat they do have. So at extreme levels of leanness, it is the fat availability that limits a persons ability to lose fat.
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    You need to look at eating higher calorie healthy foods. I can't imagine. I'm petite and maintaining and don't have weight to lose either but I have no problem getting enough calories. In fact I still have to give up one high calorie item to have another and can't eat everything I want without going over budget. I sort of wish I had your problem.

It's really depends on what your BF is regarding how your body will react to eating at a deficit. But you don't have to eat the same every day, maybe just eat higher on the days you are hungry an low on other days. It's not like you will go into starvation mode in just one day, and that is if your body fat is even low enough for that to happen.

Oddly enough, it seems as though some obese people have an unbelievable amount of fat available as a fuel, but a lower ability to burn that fat, whereas as they get leaner, they have less and less fat available as a fuel, but a greater and greater ability to burn the fat they do have. So at extreme levels of leanness, it is the fat availability that limits a persons ability to lose fat.

(sorry, I cut down your post a little so I didn't take up a load of room, I hope you don't mind! I'll add it back in if you want)

I wish I had the problem of trying to cut down on calories! I have no idea about my body fat at all to be honest. I've never had it properly tested but I have looked at the online calculators (obviously not really reliable) and most of them come up with around 18% to 19% but then another has 24% and another even has 30% so yep, no idea!

Anywhere between 1300-1400 calories is what I'm aiming for anyway!
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I don't understand what your issue is really. You are not really trying to lose or gain. So just keep doing what you're doing - ie, eat when hungry stop when full. Why are you trying to eat more calories when you don't want to? I wouldn't.