Let's talk mayonnaise...

Options
How bad do you think (in terms of fat) mayonnaise made with olive oil really is. In my hellmans mayo with olive oil the ingridients list water, soy bean oil, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinigar, salt, sugar, lemon juice,

modified potato starch, sorbic acid and calcium, disodium EDTA, natural flavor, paprika oleoresin (granted we are better off without these additives)

The total fat in a tablespoon is 6g

Only 1 of those are saturated fat
3 polyunsaturated and
2 monounsaturated

So am I kidding myself in thinking that a tablespoon of mayonnaise made with olive oil really isn't a terrible choice and actually has some healthy qualities. (healthy fats and vitamins)

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think mayo, used in moderation, is fine. As long as you're not going outside of what you're intaking each day (cal, fat, protein, etc.), I would not stress it. Mayo is a much btr choice than Miracle Whip, Salad Dressing, etc.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I don't eat mayo often but I do use the olive oil one. I don't even care about the fat in it. Mayo isn't something you eat in large amounts and there are some foods I eat regardless of what kind of fats are in them. In my own diet it's not enough to really matter and on the few occasions I do use mayo I want it to be tasty. I also use real butter once in while. Like the mayo I don't use it often enough to worry about it.

Unless you are eating by the cup I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Homemade mayonnaise without so many ingredients would be even better, but the jarred stuff isn't that bad. I doubt you'll sit on the couch with a jar of mayo and a spoon lol. Embrace the fat :-)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    as with anything, moderation is key. I love the olive oil mayo, tastes so much better! I used to have mayo A LOT before my diet changes, now I'm trying to replace it with mustard more, like with a burger or sandwich of some sort.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It would be a good choice if it didn't have all those other crap ingredients in there. I'm sure they're not using high quality olive oil either, so it's just as refined as soybean oil anyway. If you're talking health wise, the best choice is to make your own mayo...weight loss wise as long as you work it into your daily calories it doesn't matter how much fat is in it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've eaten mayo all throughout my weight loss... real mayo too

if you're worried about the ingredients you can make your own : egg yolk, olive oil and some herbs grated lemon if you want to get fancy
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Homemade mayonnaise without so many ingredients would be even better, but the jarred stuff isn't that bad. I doubt you'll sit on the couch with a jar of mayo and a spoon lol. Embrace the fat :-)

This!

And I'd rather eat one tablespoon of the real stuff over more of the "low fat" stuff any day.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The fat calories are all pretty much going to be the same. Eggs, even the yolk, have a place in a healthy diet, as does poly/monounsaturated fats, such as those in olive oil. So a little bit of mayo (say, 2 tsp -1 Tbsp) every other day or so is fine, as part of a healthy diet.

Making your own mayo at home would be even better, and that way you could go as far as using yolks from omega-3 eggs, and even replacing some of the olive oil with flax oil, giving you a major omega-3 boost. I'm actually trying to find the time to do this, myself. I have the ingredients. I'm then going to take some to make homemade tartar sauce, which I can then use with my breaded, oven-fried fish fillets that I make from scratch.
  • doodles80
    Options
    Mmmmmmm...mayo!!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    How bad do you think (in terms of fat) mayonnaise made with olive oil really is. In my hellmans mayo with olive oil the ingridients list water, soy bean oil, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinigar, salt, sugar, lemon juice,

Am I the only one questioning that there isn't any "olive oil" in the ingredients?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Homemade mayo rocks, fat and all.

The soybean oil laden stuff they sell in the shops is not on my nutritional plan.

There are good fats and there are bad fats ... My nutrition is at LEAST 65% fat by calories but I won't touch soybean oil, I chucked our mayonnaise out when I realised what was in it.

But each to their own. :)