Protein Shakes

Options
Is this a good thing? Protein shakes confuse me. Who should be drinking them? Is it a meal replacement? I'm eating the right amount of calories, but too much fat and carbs and I want to eat better. Not less, just better!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    1-2 a day is fine. Just use them to SUPPLEMENT your diet, not make up a large part of it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Just think of them like any other food. Since thats what they are.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The body can never have too much protein, it'll either use it or lose it.

No meal replacing though! Enhance a meal with a protein shake, or add it before or after a work out. (or into your coffee ;D)
  • wannabeafitmum
    Options
    so can one have a protein shake & a meal replace shake for the same meal?
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    so can one have a protein shake & a meal replace shake for the same meal?

I guess that depends on if it fits into your calories.

I drink protein shakes after a work out if I can't make a meal or eat a normal meal within about an hour after a work out. You need protein for muscle recovery, so if I do a lot of weight training, I will have a 100 calorie protein shake right after. I also make my own at home and use them as snacks.

If you're working out regularly, extra protein can't hurt. :)
  • rickydeuce717
    rickydeuce717 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree the body will lose it, but I found that my body lost it via increased gas. I cut down significantly on what the label said to use in my shakes.
  • Fit4LifeNow65
    Fit4LifeNow65 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "Excess gas" can usually be fixed by trying another brand of protein shake. I am sensitive to soy which is used heavily in many shakes and has the same effect on me. Whey protein does not seem to bother me the same way. It took trying about a half dozen different brands before I found one that I liked the taste of and didn't upset my digestive system.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What brand of protein do you all recommend? I tried CVS brand, (I get 50% discount for working there, had to try it!) and body fortress. Neither in which I've liked.

The best find was the pure protein ready shakes. totally down for 1-4 carbs and sugars for an EXTREMELY tasty drink.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    There is nothing really special about protein "shakes". You don't have to use protein powder in a shake at all. Think of it as the meat part of your meat and potatos meal. So, you are having oatmeal for breakfast...you should have protein with every meal, so instead of cooking egg whites, or fatty filled sausage or bacon, add a scoop of whey protein to your cooked protein and mix. It is heaven. Or...your're on the run and all you have is a banana for a snack because you are going to be driving and don't have time to pack something...shake up a cup of almond milk, water, coffee....any beverage of choice, and shake it with a scoop of whey. Now you have a balanced snack. The one time of day, I never go without protein is post workout. I mix whey with either greek yogurt and frozen fruit, or with coffee and almond milk and some frozen fruit...perfect combo of fast digesting carbs and protein.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump