Fitness equipment is too heavy

Options
I bought a elliptical machine about half a year ago and i have been using it some but not as much as i thought i would. I know i would use a treadmill more but i have limited space so it would have to be on the smaller side. The elliptical machine is very heavy but it has rollers. There is a company around where i live called play it again sports and they will trade fitness equipment for cash or as credit to buy something in the store. I want to look into trading it for a treadmill but i have no idea how to get it to the store. My mom has a pickup i could use but even then i couldn't just set it in the back and go. I would be worried it would fall. The store will not pick it up.

I am considering a gym membership but they are so expensive i don't know if it would be worth it for me. I also don't like the idea of working out in front of other people.

Any ideas on safe/easy ways to move fitness equipment ?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hire a small van with a tail lift.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Instead of taking it to the store, place an ad on Craigslist - get some cash for it and tell the buyers they are responsible for pick-up. :smile:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Can you hire a man with a van or do a home sale?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    so you spent a large amount of money on an elliptical that you wont use.
    but you think you'll use another expensive piece of equipment very similar to it??

use the elliptical, save your joints.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Keep the elliptical... and use it!! Walking/running should be free - no equipment needed but a pair of good shoes.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You don't use the elliptical, and you want to get rid of it so you can get a treadmill you "know" you'll use. Have you ever had a treadmill before? If not, I think you're just looking for excuses. Use the elliptical, or get rid of it and don't bother getting something else. Go outside for a walk, or get a gym membership. I'm willing to bet you'll end up not using the treadmill if you get it.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    First, why don't you use the Elliptical? I have one but as I live in a trailer, once you stand on the monster you are a foot from the ceiling - otherwise I would have it in the house rather than storage.

Two, they make small treadmills, but they tend to be manual - which relies on your weight & effort to get them started and keep going. Yes, they are small, but they are NOT the best - walking outside is easier & nicer. I use mine when I play video games so I am not just sitting there, but it's hard to stay on it (not fly off the back) and since you are the motor, I end up walking wrong (I barefoot walk/run) so my feet always hurt.

A good treadmill is be as BIG as an elliptical, if not larger. Plus, a good one will cost you more than you will probably get for it as a trade in.

If you want to sell it, do as danwood2 said - Craiglist. Either as a sale or maybe a trade for a treadmill or another piece of equipment. Also... stay away from Bowflex's on craiglist. They can be older "RECALLED" model and 9 times out of 10, you won't use it as much as you would have used the elliptical.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    so you spent a large amount of money on an elliptical that you wont use.
    but you think you'll use another expensive piece of equipment very similar to it??

use the elliptical, save your joints.

^^This. Why do you think you would use a treadmill more?
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1. Sell the elliptical for cash money
    2. Use that money for a gym membership
    3. Get over your phobia of public appearances
    4. Learn how to lift weights
    5. Pick things up and put them down
    6. ?????
    7. Profit.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    6. ?????
    7. Profit.

repped.
    wait.

wrong site
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    saged
    wait

wrong site.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    post an ad on craigslist- you pick-up/you haul. knock your price down a few bucks, and someone will take it away for you.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Call nearest male friends. Offer *kitten* for manual labor. Done deal.

Or beer or pizza, or beer and pizza. That usually works for me.
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    agreed keep the elliptical
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you don't want to keep and use it, then either find some friends to help you take it there or list it on Craigslist. Don't rent a vehicle to take it there because chances are you'll be disappointed in what they offer you for it and you'll be lucky if you don't lose money on the deal by renting a vehicle to haul it there. Remember they have to make a profit too, so they aren't going to pay you what a private buyer will. If you still want to go the Play It Again Sports route, then I would maybe tell them the model number and show them a photo so you can get a quote before you go through the trouble of taking it there. A little while ago they estimated $50-$100 in trade for a whole weight set I wanted to get rid of. I declined and sold it on Craigslist 2 days later for $250. You might not sell it right away, but you'll get more.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Let me come pick up your elliptical.

Buy a treadmill. Never use it.

Let me come pick up your treadmill.

Thanks.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    rent a uhaul. it's only 20 bucks.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It might even not be the machine. It could be your lack of motivation.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I bought three things I dont use - oh yes I do, I hang clothes on them. I enjoy the hell outta my gym membership though. I hated working out in front of people but I got over it cause nobody is concerned about me, they want to get fit.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    6. ?????
    7. Profit.

Best advice of all!

My parents have a treadmill. They use it. I've used it a couple times...but find I work out WAY harder at the gym. I HATED the thought of working out in front of other people. Then after reading a post on these forums one day (someone wrote a sweet note/letter to the overweight girl they saw out running every day while they ran; basically said they were proud of her...and wish she'd look up and not down while running because they want to smile at her and give her a thumbs up for having the courage to be out there running)...I got over the thought of how others think of me while I work out at the gym. And now I work out SUPER hard at the gym...and don't care what others may be thinking of me while I get my sweat on. :)