C25K - Lose weight?

Options
Hey everyone. I am usually a lurker here but I wanted to hear from all the folks that have started or done the C25K program. Did starting this program help you lose weight? I just bought a treadmill and I want to start seeing a difference on the scale! Thanks for the info.

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I didn't do C25k, but I am a runner. The bottom line with regards to cardiovascular exercise is that it is great for overall health, but unless you are keeping your caloric intake at a deficit, you will not lose weight. 80% of weight loss is accomplished through diet. Still, for me, diet and exercise are a complete package.

That said, running hasn't caused me to lose a lot of weight, but it helps me to burn any excess calories I take in and keeps me at my desired weight. Plus, running is FUN!!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight while eating less crap. Oh and I was also doing C25k. I felt better, my health improved, and I could RUN.

Caveat: I know so many people who think because they work out they can eat whatever. nope. Just cause you are doing C25k doesnt mean you can get by without watching your intake. Calories count! ;o)
  • JaniseCookston
    JaniseCookston Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to lose 30 pounds and have maintained my weight loss for 11 months now. I'd like to start a C25K program just to give my exercise some purpose/end goal. Any specific website, program or app you all would recommend?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am usually a lurker here but I wanted to hear from all the folks that have started or done the C25K program. Did starting this program help you lose weight? I just bought a treadmill and I want to start seeing a difference on the scale! Thanks for the info.

I started MFP on 3/31/11 and lost probably 40 pounds. Then in late August 2011 I started Couch to 5K with my sister, and it helped me shed more, faster. I also felt way better and was building a good aerobic base. I completed the program in October 2011 and ran my first 5K, then I took my first Spinning class. Spinning really boosted my weight loss. My weight has been static since late March, but in all honesty I've been slacking a bit on my food quality and am in the process of cleaning it up. However, I still work out and can say that, weight loss aside, I am in MUCH better shape than I was when I started C25K!

So yes, it will help you lose weight, assuming your eating is in line. A combination of proper eating and good exercise works wonders. As I often see quoted on here, "You can't out-train a bad diet."

Edited to correct a typo.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to lose 30 pounds and have maintained my weight loss for 11 months now. I'd like to start a C25K program just to give my exercise some purpose/end goal. Any specific website, program or app you all would recommend?

Here's the program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Otherwise there are plenty of apps out there, but I don't run with my phone (I clip my iPod shuffle to my shirt). I Googled "couch to 5k podcasts" and was able to download a bunch for free. I also found out how to make my own, so my sister and I would make our own and then surprise each other with them. We had a ball doing that!