Help me say "no!" to those late night cravings!

Options
Anyone else have been great all day, then by the end you're finally able to relax... then those horrible cravings set in?

I've been trying to journal about it when it happens.

Anyone else going through this? What do you do? Go to bed early, grab something healthy, cry into your bowl of ice cream?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I eat as long as I have calories left.

I actually save some calories for night because I am a night person anyways and know that I will want something before bed.
  • andrea60505
    Options
    I know that is my hardest part of the day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you know that you eat at night then save some of your calories for later. Without seeing your diary its hard to say if you need more calories or not. This is also one reason why i workout at night so i dont mindlessly eat. Higher protein food can help.
  • Dalacombe
    Options
    First, congratulations on your success so far. I have the same late night problem. If i can talk myself off the ledge, i've found either a piece of fruit or a couple of low fat graham crackers. Gotta' have my sweets.
  • mavericks15
    mavericks15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if i ever feel those cravings coming on, i'll drink a large glass of water and then brush my teeth. :) brushing my teeth seems to help with triggering my mind into thinking i'm done eating & it's time for bed.
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also save calories for night. When I hit my calories and those cravings kick in lately I head to bed where I watch TV or read. Once there and comfy I tend not to get back up to eat. I also have been practicing mindful eating. If I am not hungry-why to I want to eat. Then I think about what emotions I am feeling. It was hard in the beginning but is now getting easier. If I think about WHY I want to eat it actually distracts me from eating! :)
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I have calories left over than I will allow myself a half of serving of something--Except yesterday I had a whole skinny cow ice cream. But it was only 100 cals.

IF I don't have any calories left over I drink water or tea and take my butt to bed to avoid eating.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    depends on how you are eating throughout the day what level of cravings you go through.. i usually have a whey can casein shake before i go to bed. if i dont have enough carbs in a day then i crave chips and other great things and will eat them... its a habit but try to eat something but eat something that will be good for you. i eat six times a day and drink a ton of water and if id ont i will gorge myself late at night.. its a life changing habit more than anything.. i do miss them chip and dip nights aaaahhhh
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Drink some water, and find something else to do with your hands- play a board game, learn to knit, read a book, etc.

If you're truly hungry, eat a serving of something. And rethink your dinners so they last longer in your body!
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    These are all great advice, thanks everyone!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What I do is plan for a late night snack because I know how terrible it can be! I always plan all my meals and log them all in advance - even my late night snack. With my workouts I'm able to stay within my calorie goals and still be able to fix that evening rumble without feeling bad about it.
  • andrea60505
    Options
    Thats definity my hardest part of my day everyday, or night I should say. Skinny popcorn?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I struggled with something like this, I would allow for those calories in my diary...I crave a couple of glasses of wine in the evening, and I reserve some calories just for that purpose. Not usually enough on the weekend, but I usually do ok during the week.
  • mellowkate
    mellowkate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was always a late night snacker - journaling helped me realize exactly how bad about it I was.

When I first started on my get-healthy journey (better to think of it that way than losing weight - that's just a happy side effect!), I started working out at night instead of in the morning.

My bed's pretty comfy, and getting out of it in the morning is tough to begin with - let alone 2 hours earlier so that I can hit the gym - so it made most sense to work out when I got home from work (approx. 8:30-9:00pm).

Not sure about you folks, but I'm not starving after a workout -- just a small bite does it for me -- so I found that was a really effective way to curb the nighttime cravings.

On the nights when I don't work out at night, like most of you all said above, I just try to leave a little extra for the end of the day. Better to have more than you need than not enough!