Diet Detox

Options

Replies

• no1canadianangel
    Options
    Yes the body detox's naturally... HOWEVER, after years and years and years of eating unhealthy foods, there is only a percentage that is cleaned out by the body... detox's are healthy when done CORRECTLY
    False. Unless you have organ failure your body detoxes itself perfectly fine. A detox does absolutely nothing.

If you say so
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes the body detox's naturally... HOWEVER, after years and years and years of eating unhealthy foods, there is only a percentage that is cleaned out by the body... detox's are healthy when done CORRECTLY
    False. Unless you have organ failure your body detoxes itself perfectly fine. A detox does absolutely nothing.

If you say so

That is correct information unless "doing something" means pooping a lot. A detox can cause that, but physiologically you're not actually accomplishing any necessary removal of toxins that aren't already removed by a normally functioning set of organs.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Detox is easy. Just stop consuming those things that contain toxins. :bigsmile:

As for "balanced and healthy," those terms vary from person to person. For someone that is prediabetic or type 2 diabetic, a diet that gets 30% of calories from carbs is definitely not healthy.
    My niece developed gestational diabetes which became type 2 diabetes. He doctor gave her a food plan very similar to what I was doing. <100g of carbs per day. In 6 months she was no longer clinically diabetic.
    I set my carb target under 80g. I have been detoxed so to speak. No longer pre-diabetic. And that is most definitely a good thing.
    No drugs either.

No human body does a great job healing itself. The human mind is great at thinking up ways to rip off other humans. There are still a lot of snake oil salesmen out there. The weight loss industry is loaded with them.

As for 10 pounds in 9 days? It is mostly water weight when it comes off that fast.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your money... just eat a lot of veggies and fruit (high fiber) and you will do the same exact thing as a detox.

Totally agree ... and it is WAY healthier for you!

If you do that, make sure you drink enough water! lol Or you'll be sorry ...
  • rml_16
    Options

If you say so

Health care professionals also say so. *shrug*
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The only thing a detox cleans out is your wallet. Just eat a sensible diet. The human body has a liver and kidneys, detoxing is their job, and they are quite efficient at it.

This!! :bigsmile:
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Question for those who believe that juicing will detoxify your body: how exactly does that work? If your organs don't perform this function on their own, tell me how drinking a lot of juice makes them more efficient at it?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Question for those who believe that juicing will detoxify your body: how exactly does that work? If your organs don't perform this function on their own, tell me how drinking a lot of juice makes them more efficient at it?

Especially without the fiber from the fruits and veggies ...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Are your liver and/or kidneys broken?
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only thing a detox cleans out is your wallet. Just eat a sensible diet. The human body has a liver and kidneys, detoxing is their job, and they are quite efficient at it.

Love this!!
    So true!
    I agree with the veggies and fruit with lots of water!!!
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are your liver and/or kidneys broken?

LMAO!! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    anyone know of any good detox diets? I'm wanting something to clean out my body and have never done one before. I'm looking for something that does allow me more then just drinks and fruit. Any advice would be great! I'm also not looking to do it for a long period of time, maybe only 2 or 3 days

Basically, you will want to focus on only eating whole, fresh foods. There is no evidence that the drinks actually work, but a healthy diet will allow your body to get rid of toxins. I suggest trying some "green food" with chlorella and spirulina in it (and wheatgrass!) Both of those will help eliminate toxins while putting healthy proteins, vitamins, and minerals into your body.

Also, here is a good list of detoxifying foods:

Fruits - natural fiber (especially citrus fruits - e.g. add lemon to your water)
    Green Foods (blue green algae, barley, wheatgrass, kale, spinach, spirulina, alfalfa, etc.) - work with the liver and help clear the intestinal tract
    Garlic - stimulates the liver into producing enzymes that will help rid the digestive system of residue
    Broccoli Sprouts - stimulate enzymes in the digestive tract
    Green Tea - antioxidants and liver aid
    Seeds and Nuts - especially hemp seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds and walnuts
    Omega-3 Oils - hemp seeds are the best source for Omega oil - one tablespoon a day will help flush the intestinal tract plus absorb residue that is built up along the walls of the intestines

My husband has Crohn's, so he has to do a detox every few months. I can't say enough good about the green foods and hemp seeds. Since he has been incorporating them in his diet, he hasn't had any inflammation issues at all.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    your body is designed to detoxify itself.

If you're set on cleaning yourself out, drink a gallon of water per day and eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies while limiting processed foods.......
    and take some metamucil, that'll clean out your bowels and get things back to normal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    your body is designed to detoxify itself.

If you're set on cleaning yourself out, drink a gallon of water per day and eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies while limiting processed foods.......
    and take some metamucil, that'll clean out your bowels and get things back to normal.

Eww! Not a healthy way to detox, imo.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Laxatives.

Hope that is a joke!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Go to the Dr. Oz website. He has a 48 hour detox that looks reasonable. Worth checking out anyway.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only detoxing (if you want to call it that) I did was to quit starchy carbs and refined sugar for a month. Get that stuff out of your system and you will feel a lot better.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Detox? Are you a drug addict or chronic alcoholic? Have you been exposed to heavy metals or some other poison?

Sorry, detox is a word bandied about by unscrupulous companies trying to separate you from your money. It, along with "cleanse" are perhaps the two most meaningless words in the health / weight management lexicon.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein sources, lots of fluids and your body looks after the rest (assuming no underlying disease)

Exactly.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The gym manager where I go suggested the apple detox. Super easy (and got rid of my sweet cravings) eat apples as much as you want for breakfast lunch and snacks, you can cook them (don't add sugar etc) and for dinner have a meal consisting mostly of green veg and lean meat or white fish. It's meant to lower your cholesterol and help blood pressure. I did it after plateauing for 5 months and I've started losing again. The gym manager said it would help kick start things as sometimes the body needs a flush of the system, especially after a drastic change in diet. http://www.ehow.com/way_5313657_apple-detox-diet.html here's the link if you're interested.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    DONT DO LAXITIVES. JUST PICK A GOOD DIET PLAN. No sugar no milk for the first week. Use natural fruit for sugar intake and almond/soy milk.

FIRST THING YOU DO WHEN YOU GET UP - Drink 4 8oz. cups a water. its hard at first but after the second day its awesome
    by the end of the day 8 8oz glasses AT THE MINIMUN.

The fist time I drank 4 cups of water I had to use the bathroom right away and it detoxes naturally. STAY AWAY FROM SODAPOP.