How to slim down muscular legs?

Options
2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You need those muscular legs for power and speed (sprints). Also, as a female athlete, increasing and maintaining muscular strength of your legs is paramount to injury prevention. For high school girls, 1 in every 100 will have a serious knee injury; in college, its even worse at 1 in every 10. However, if you ensure you focus training to increase and maintain the muscle mass you have, your risk of injury compared to male athlete's will be nearly identical. If you wish to lessen your mass, do so by reducing body fat, not muscle mass.

Additionally, if you wish to increase speed and power by strengthening the calves and stretching the Achilles tendon, look into plyometric training during the off season. Way back when I was a freshman in college, I used the Strength plyometric training shoes which helped by increasing my vertical jump by 9 inches for volleyball. Although they no longer make it, ATI Katapult is the brand to look for these days.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think you may be able to slim them down some by running but increase the distance to farther than 2 miles. That is my experience anyways. I have large quads and noticed that lifting and running longer distances has dropped some fat from them but they are still large. Just embrace them..thats all I got!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without pics, but most likely it's the fat overlying your muscles that make your legs look to bigger than you'd like.

I'd put money on this
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Muscular Legs are Hot! Don't lose it. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to put my finger on the issue here. You have muscular legs . . . still trying to identify the issue.

If you want less gurth, 1) lose the overlying fat (if you have fat on your *kitten* you have it on your thighs). 2) atrophy, which since you don't want to lose functional strenght is counter productive to your overall goals. 3) try endurance sports (like long distance running), but it may no have the impact you want on either your body composition or your functionality for your sport.

I would go for 4) accept them beautiful gams and embrace your body for what it is working with what you have instead of against it.
  • lilac9
    lilac9 Posts: 5
    Options
    This is not quite what you're asking about, but it might help: I was an athlete in high school, and a modern dancer until a few years after college. I had huge quads, and didn't think there was anything I could do about them. A couple of years ago, I started working with a physical therapist who used a Pilates-based approach. She taught me how to use my glutes more effectively, and I've recently noticed that my overdeveloped quads are less bulky and my underdeveloped glutes are higher and stronger. I can get a lot more specific on this topic, so if relatively overdeveloped thighs are your concern, rather than your legs being muscular all over, say so in the comments and I'll post more info.

I know this was a long time ago, but I've recently taken an interest in pilates. I would love to here more info on this!!! :) thanks
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    i have short big muscly thighs and hate them
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This really makes me sad to see female athletes want to atrophy their muscles. I don't know if it's a perceived belief that nobody finds it attractive or what. If that is what they think, they are mistaken.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Les Mills PUMP!
  • alyssanp1
    Options
    I would like more info on this! :) I have the same issue. I was a huge athlete in highschool in track and basketball and would love to keep my muscle but just slim down my theighs.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    purchase wheelchair
    ???
    profit?