More Fibre - can anyone help?

Options
2»

Replies

• bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Beans have tons of fiber or you could supliment with an over the counter fiber...i think its fiber choice has some good chewables.

^^^^ when i remember i use the chewables.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Beans, these 10 types in particular... just a HALF of a cup yields a TON of fiber:

Navy Beans – 9.6 grams – Navy beans are quite common, especially in the Northern U.S. where they are also known as Boston or Yankee beans. These fiber powerhouses make excellent additions to soups, chilies and salads. However, because of their high fiber content, Navy Beans are more difficult to digest than other beans containing less fiber.

Cranberry Beans – 8.8 grams – This bean from Italy isn’t commonly known, but it is a wonderful addition to soups and stews due to its nutty flavor and high fiber content.

Adzuki Beans – 8.4 grams – This small Japanese bean is easier to cook and digest than larger beans as well as having a sweet taste.

Lentils – 7.8 grams – Lentils are not actually beans, but still belong to the legume family. They cook more rapidly than normal beans and do not require soaking before cooking. They also provide a high source of fiber per serving.

Pinto Beans – 7.7 grams – These popular beans are often used in soups in the South as well as refried beans in burritos and other Mexican dishes.

Mung Beans – 7.7 grams – You are probably more familiar with these as Chinese bean sprouts. They are small, green beans which can also be used cooked in bean form.

Black Beans – 7.5 grams – Black beans are a staple of both Caribbean and Latin American cultures and are quite nutritious as well as being high in soluble fiber.

Lima Beans – 6.6 grams – These delicious beans are popular due to their buttery taste and smooth texture. The dried versions have the most fiber at 6.6 grams while green, immature Lima beans contain only 4.5 grams.

Red Beans – 6.5 grams – Red beans are most commonly used in the red beans and rice dishes of both Mexico and Cajun Louisiana.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Berries ( even frozen, unsweetened) - nice added to yogurt
    Look for a higher fiber breakfast cereal
    Low carb, high fiber wraps ( we have some brands here in the US with 7 or more grams)
    More veggies and beans ( even just added to your rice that you are already eating
    Small (1/2cup) serving of whole grain pasta
    Sprinkle flax meal/ flax seeds into and on anything :) -we bake it into muffins, etc.

My diary is open if you'd like to take a look. I've been working on fiber too. It's not always where I want it though, but can easily hit 40 now if I pay attention.
    Overall you are doing a very nice job - nice diary!
    Best wishes!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I second the vote for All-Bran bran buds (the flakes are just gross). I add some to my breakfast, and I wouldn't hesitate to add them to yogurt - they add a nice little crunch.
  • phiddy23
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I think I will look at fibre supplements and beans (although I am not a huge fan of the taste of beans). I live in the UK so a lot of the suggestions being made here aren't available to me, however I already have flax / chia stuff that I add to my breakfast in the mornings. Will keep reading the advice here and writing stuff down, there's some great suggestions so thanks!!

To the person who said I don't eat enough fruit and veg... you are just wrong lmao, I do eat loads and loads of fruit and veg. Replacing yoghurts and almonds with fruit is not really a very good suggestion considering the amount of fruit I already eat and the additional sugar (and reduction of protein and good fat from taking almonds and yoghurt out of my diet) that would mean. But thanks anyway.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I think I will look at fibre supplements and beans (although I am not a huge fan of the taste of beans). I live in the UK so a lot of the suggestions being made here aren't available to me, however I already have flax / chia stuff that I add to my breakfast in the mornings. Will keep reading the advice here and writing stuff down, there's some great suggestions so thanks!!

To the person who said I don't eat enough fruit and veg... you are just wrong lmao, I do eat loads and loads of fruit and veg. Replacing yoghurts and almonds with fruit is not really a very good suggestion considering the amount of fruit I already eat and the additional sugar (and reduction of protein and good fat from taking almonds and yoghurt out of my diet) that would mean. But thanks anyway.

You do eat plenty of fruits and veggies, you just choose the ones that aren't as high in fiber as others. Honestly, berries are going to be your best source of fiber in produce, and they're low in sugar, as well, compared to others. If you don't like the taste of beans, put them in something so you won't really taste them. I make a vegetarian chili (I use Quorn "ground beef" instead of real ground beef -- don't know if you have that there) and I just don't really taste the beans. It used to be a texture thing for me, but I don't mind them anymore.

Also, though they really don't taste like real burgers, veggie burgers can be very high in fiber.
  • AlyssaNorth
    AlyssaNorth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    CHIA SEEDS. i add them to almost everything =]
  • phiddy23
    Options
    Cool, so I think I will a) replace some of my fruit (gen apples and bananas) with berries b) get some sort of fibre supplement c) add some beans into the mix and d) make sure I am choosing the high fibre varieties of green veg.

Also will stock up on some more chia and flax.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any more are welcome.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My wife makes these with splenda for sweetener and applesauce substituted in instead of oil.

https://sites.google.com/site/thefitnessfreakblog/ever-ready-bran-muffins

Have you tried Quinoa?
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just taking a look at my macros generally, it seems that I'm not getting as much fibre as I would like. My diary is public, anyone care to take a look and make some recommendations? It's probably just going to come from little things that I can substitute here and there, but as it stands I know I am eating pretty well (today - sept 10th - is the best day to look at as an example of how I generally eat), carbs could be lower but I really want to get the fibre up and the sugar down.

Thanks!

The Fiber One cereals are wonderful. They're good enough to eat dry as a snack and pack a ton of fiber in each serving.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know you say you don't like beans, but what about pulses and legumes?

Just a cup of roasted chickpeas contains about 12 grams of fibre and is a very (very) tasty snack.

If you like Indian food, dal has tons of fibre (though it's important to soak split-peas and lentils overnight; red is the only one I use straight from the packet.) And curries are great for sneaking things into that maybe you wouldn't eat on their own. So are soups (Indian or otherwise.)

I also eat chia seeds in granola and in a "pudding", which you might like
    Mix 40g chia seeds, 1.5 cup almond/hazelnut/cashew milk, 40g frozen berries. Pour into a bowl, cover, and leave in the fridge overnight. It's not the tastiest thing in the world (I add cinnamon; I wouldn't blame anyone for adding maple syrup) but it is fibrous.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    oat bran - AND it lowers cholesterol too

However, mfp keeps telling me I am eating too much fibre - I ignore this
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I don't think there's a such thing as too much, is there?
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I don't think there's a such thing as too much, is there?

If you're eating lots of fibre and not drinking enough water you can become dehydrated.

And it can interfere with your social life.

That said, I think MFP is quite low. You'll know yourself when you go to the loo if you're eating too much fibre.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Some products can be VERY misleading and are marketed so they seem high in fiber, but they're really not! Foods labeled as “multi-grain,” “stone-ground,” “100% wheat,” “cracked wheat,” “seven-grain,” or “bran” are usually not 100% whole-grain products, and they may not contain ANY whole grain!

Read the ingredients list and choose products that name a wholegrain ingredient FIRST on the list. Look for “whole wheat,” “brown rice,” “bulgur,” “buckwheat,” “oatmeal,” “whole-grain cornmeal,” “whole oats,” “whole rye,” or “wild rice.” You can also use the Nutrition Facts label to check the fiber content of whole-grain foods. Good sources of fiber contain 10% to 19% of the Daily Value; excellent sources contain 20% or more.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    . Replacing yoghurts and almonds with fruit is not really a very good suggestion considering the amount of fruit I already eat and the additional sugar (and reduction of protein and good fat from taking almonds and yoghurt out of my diet) that would mean. But thanks anyway.

It was just a suggestion because that meal in particular seems to be lacking in fiber. Perhaps consider at least paring some fruit with it. Personally, I do not eat many nuts and I am vegan. Sure they have some protein, but I can get more from eating something else in addition to more fiber. I did used to eat yogurt though and I'd be hungry and hour later. Kudos that it can hold you over until lunch.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    raspberries and blackberries, strawberries, and beans are great for fiber.

If you go with berries, eat more than you think you can, they aren't many calories.