4 Reasons You're Not Gaining Muscle

Options
Great article from T-Nation. Pay close attention to points 3 and 4. These two topics are continuously debated on MFP. Point 3 talks about balancing cardio and resistance training. Point 4 talks about caloric intake.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/4_reasons_youre_not_gaining_muscle

Replies

• tommytorquestick
    Options
    That's a good article. I've been in a calorie deficit for a while now and it has occured to me that it is going to be impossible for me to really gain muscle while doing so.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Same with me. At some point, I will need to adjust calories to a surplus. It's an intimidating thought, but will be necessary.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Damn it. I've been thinking of adding in some extra Cardio so that I can eat more but it looks like that would be counterproductive.

I guess I'll stick to my 2900 calories. :(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    so its bad to do cardio and strenght training together?
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great article!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    so its bad to do cardio and strenght training together?

Not according to the article. Did you read it?

--P
  • classic_1
    Options
    bump
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    sleepy....thanks Mike, saving to read tomorrow. :)
  • kimberlylane16
    kimberlylane16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to give a better read of tomorrow. Thanks.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bumping for after work!
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    so when it says to vary your rep range, how often is it suggested to do so?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle without any exercise? My health issues do not allow me to exercise,I am on bed rest so i have to depend only on decreasing calories to lose weight. Does this mean if I am losing muscle I will never regain it again? Very sad if this is true.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    In order to gain muscle, you have to go hard or go home. You can't lift pink barbells and expect to look ike ronnie coleman. NO PAIN NO GAIN! Tkae it from me, strain till' you **** your pants.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle without any exercise? My health issues do not allow me to exercise,I am on bed rest so i have to depend only on decreasing calories to lose weight. Does this mean if I am losing muscle I will never regain it again? Very sad if this is true.

It is not possible to gain muscle without exercise. However, you can regain it again assuming that you can exercise when you recover. If you have a permanent disability, you should really talk to a physical therapist about the best things you can do to prevent atrophy as much as possible, plus they may have some suggestions that will help get some exercise based on your physical limitations .
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options

It is not possible to gain muscle without exercise. However, you can regain it again assuming that you can exercise when you recover. If you have a permanent disability, you should really talk to a physical therapist about the best things you can do to prevent atrophy as much as possible, plus they may have some suggestions that will help get some exercise based on your physical limitations .

This ^^^^^
    Thank You Kindly for answering my question. I am told it is permanent . I eat a high protein diet I thought that helps build muscle is this true? Do you have any suggestion how not to lose the little muscle I have during weight loss?
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Interesting!.. thanks for that! :drinker:
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For later