Inexpensive athletic shoe suggesetions?

Options
I do a hybrid of P90X, Tony Horton's One-on-one, P90X Plus and pilates. Also important to note, I am a BROKE college student! :laugh: My tennis/ running shoes that I have now are in desperate need of replacement. The problem is, tennis shoes are NOT cheap. All my workouts, expect the pilates, tend to have high impact aspects... I want something that will give adequate support/ protection but not kill my wallet!!

The less expensive the better. Oh, yes, I am flat footed which adds another thing in there.

Thanks all!! :drinker:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I would seriously check out Ebay and Craigslist for last years models of this years shoe.

I hate to say it but cheap is not good when you are doign those high impact exercises. I am a product of cheap shoes and my feet have gone to hell in a handbasket before I even turn 50.

If you can only by cheap shoes, invest 10 bucks for inserts at foot locker. That is what the podiatrist told me anyway.

Good luck!!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I usually buy an off brand running shoe and put inserts in to give me extra support. I have high arches so no matter how expensive the shoe I still end up having to buy inserts or my feet kill me.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    They usually have great running shoe sales on boxing day, although March is the best time of year for variety. The brand Avia are inexpensive and good quality. They are real leather which is key and the shanks are poly not cardboard (like most cheap runners). Also make sure it is a running shoe or cross trainer, stay away from walkers and fitness shoes for high impact activities. Make sure you discuss its actual purpose with the sales associate. Some shoes look like runners and are actually just fashion athletics.

Hope that helps...
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I have to agree with arewethereyet, cheap is not the way to go, even with walking or running on a treadmill. The best thing you can do to help yourself is a good pair of workout shoes. With that said, if you have a Shoe Dept or Super Shoes department store near you they have some good names for less than the sporting stores (****s, etc). I got a Nike pair that I absolutely LOVE and they totally make a difference but didn't pay the $80 cost that ****s had them listed for. Even Payless has "upped" their brands with quality shoes. But becareful how "cheap" you go.

If there's one thing my mother has taught me (and I actually listened), a good pair of workout shoes/sneakers will pay themselves off in the end. Better to have the support of a good pair of shoes than hurting yourself and having to pay for doctors bills, - or paying for cheap pairs and replacing them quicker than you would a good pair.

I like the Ebay idea too!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As far as finiding matches for your foot, check out www.roadrunnersports.com - there is a tool that you can use that asks you age, sex, weight, type of foot, how you run, etc... then suggests shoes that may fit. After that, I would check out craiglist, ebay, etc. I also use inserts and I love them, but they probably wouldn't do much for you if you're flat footed. Its Christmas also, so in a couple of weeks everything will be going on sale - perfect time to spend that Christmas money on some new shoes!
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can go to Ross or Marshalls and get a good pair of sneakers on the cheap...I bought some addidas running shoes for $35. Good luck!!
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    My mom got me a new pair of nikes some really cute running shoes for $38 from Kohls...and after % taken off for power hour and she had some kohls bucks too she got them for super cheap!They have new balance for a good price too!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also check out Bob's Stores if you have any in your area. I got a pair of $100 New Balance running shoes last year for $15 on sale. They always have those "extra 20% off" coupons in the mail.

I see you're from Austin -- I'm living in Dallas. What is Bob's?