Why am I still hungry?!

Options
So, as I've noticed over the last few weeks, I'm getting hungry about two hours after I have my lunch. Today I even had a good lunch: a pork chop, broccoli, a plum and 90-cal brownie for dessert. And I had a good breakfast of a bagel thin and banana. I've also had a good amount of water all day. But I'm hungry, just as I have been over the last few weeks, whether I'm swamped at work or not. I"m also craving real food, not a bag of chips or a candy bar... I want a sandwich or slice of pizza.

I'm trying my best to ignore the feeling and not indulge in a second lunch, but I'm starting to wonder why it's been this way. It's also over the last 8 weeks that I've been gaining weight too... likely from indulging in the second lunch too many times.

Is this normal to anyone?

Replies

• cinemec
    Options
    When I first started I was hungry 24/7. It passed after a while though I just had to stick it out. I'm sure others will suggest alternative food choices, slow release energy or whatever. I would suggest perhaps trying moving your lunch later, try a larger breakfast and a smaller lunch, try a smaller breakfast and a larger lunch. If second lunch is your thing try splitting your lunch in two! Half now and half when you're hungry. Think of it like an experiment, we're all different and what doesn't work for others may be just right for you. If I get that mad craving for more food then I go with a banana or a low fat yoghurt they seem to do the trick for me. Raspberries and blueberries are great too :)
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    if you open up your diary we can have better advice, but try increasing your protein to about 1g per lb of lean body weight.
    also LOTS of veggies and fruits to fill you up. healthy fats also help.

and i may suggest upping your calories, but since i dont know how many you currently eat, then i cant suggest that

whats a typical day of food for you? and your height/weight and activity level
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have this same exact problem, So I'm interested in what others have to say....

I have tried to drink some tea after lunch or more water, sometimes it helps othertimes it does not.
  • nickjnelly
    Options
    Eat slowly.
    Snack on some almonds (they have healthy fats that we crave, and protein that is good) and drink even more water to fill your stomach. When i say drink alot of water i mean a gallon a day.

Your stomach will shrink and so will your appetite.

Stay strong!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me too. I had to suck it up and give up my "real-sized" dinners...instead I usually eat a lunch-sized dinner so I can eat more throughout the day. Usually... :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It can take time to adjust to different diets and food. Hunger cravings aren't unusual. Here are some things that work to solve them:

1. Try eating more protein for breakfast. I would definitely not call a bagel thin a good breakfast. That's actually your stereotypical high carb & high GI index breakfast that's bad. In general, try and eat protein and veggies/fruit at every single meal!

2. You can try eating more often too. For example, measure out an ounce of almonds and have a few anytime the hunger pangs start.

3. Coffee and Tea are AWESOME for blunting hunger cravings.

4. NEVER snack on simple processed carbs. Seriously, if you must snack, make it real food: whole fat dairy product, fruit, veggies, nuts, lean meat, etc. Avoid snacking on things like chips, bread, etc.
  • ynvme76
    ynvme76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should eat a bigger breakfast, try consuming most of your calories during the day. You should include whole grains in your diet. Try replacing that pork chop with a turkey chop. You should eat more protien to help you feel full like eggs, nuts, beans, etc. Today , I ate a whole grain fajata omlet with tomato, spinach, cheese, and green peppers. I wasn't that hungry at lunch. So, I just grabbed some white tuna, and mutigrain crackers.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'll share from my experience. Take it or leave it. I don't mean this to be a push to any one kind of diet... just sharing what has worked for me.

I used to eat whole wheat bagel thins every morning. I told myself they were healthy, because they where whole wheat, only 100 cals, and I put low-fat cream cheese, margarine, or PB on them. I was hungry within an hour after eating. Even if I ate the same with a fattening whole bagel, I'd be hungry pretty quickly. Fruit smoothie in the morning? Hungry after. Oatmeal? Hungry.

No matter what I ate for lunch, whether it was "healthy" or not, I still wanted something sweet after. Same with dinner. And even if I was full, I would still want 2nds of whatever carb was available... bread, rice, pasta.

On July 3, I started eating according to the primal blueprint. www.marksdailyapple.com. I eliminated all grains, legumes, processed foods, and anything with added sugar. Since those are all foods I tended to overeat, and crave, and have the least willpower to moderate, I decided that I would try eliminating them for a while to see if I could, and how it would go.

Within about 3 days of starting eating this way, I realized that my sugar cravings were disappearing. My blood sugar levels were more stable. I no longer obsessed over when my next meal would be, and could easily go from early morning breakfast to mid-afternoon lunch without feeling hungry or shaky. When I do get really hungry, I know it's because I didn't have enough good fat in my last meal.

Anyway, that's what's worked for me to slay the hunger/sugar beast so far. Good luck on your journey!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I find that the more protein I get in, the less hungry I am and the less snacking I do.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    without seeing your food diary its hard to give better advice
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll share from my experience. Take it or leave it. I don't mean this to be a push to any one kind of diet... just sharing what has worked for me.

I used to eat whole wheat bagel thins every morning. I told myself they were healthy, because they where whole wheat, only 100 cals, and I put low-fat cream cheese, margarine, or PB on them. I was hungry within an hour after eating. Even if I ate the same with a fattening whole bagel, I'd be hungry pretty quickly. Fruit smoothie in the morning? Hungry after. Oatmeal? Hungry.

No matter what I ate for lunch, whether it was "healthy" or not, I still wanted something sweet after. Same with dinner. And even if I was full, I would still want 2nds of whatever carb was available... bread, rice, pasta.

On July 3, I started eating according to the primal blueprint. www.marksdailyapple.com. I eliminated all grains, legumes, processed foods, and anything with added sugar. Since those are all foods I tended to overeat, and crave, and have the least willpower to moderate, I decided that I would try eliminating them for a while to see if I could, and how it would go.

Within about 3 days of starting eating this way, I realized that my sugar cravings were disappearing. My blood sugar levels were more stable. I no longer obsessed over when my next meal would be, and could easily go from early morning breakfast to mid-afternoon lunch without feeling hungry or shaky. When I do get really hungry, I know it's because I didn't have enough good fat in my last meal.

Anyway, that's what's worked for me to slay the hunger/sugar beast so far. Good luck on your journey!
    this is what worked for me too. the nice thing about it is if you try it you should know within a short time if its for you. trying different things won't hurt.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've had this same issue, and used to eat similar breakfasts to yourself.

Having changed to eating more protein heavy breakfasts has helped reduce my hunger issues throughout the day.

Tempeh and quinoa are pretty regular breakfast ingredients for me now (I follow a vegan diet, but your options may be much wider spread - quiche, etc.). I can still have a bit of granola / cereal / bagel, I just don't have a full serving.

While my breakfast still has about the same number of calories as before my switch, between 300 and 400, the higher versus non-existent protein content does seem to be my fix.

Good luck on finding your own.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have two lunches, the gap between lunch and dinner in my house is too long, so I have 2 lower calorie 'meals' it works wonders, and stops that evil snacking
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, protein as a significant part of breakfast, and lunch, helps me.

I've also learned I really need to eat something about every two to three hours. Otherwise I overeat at meals.

It's easier to eat less over all if I eat more frequently.

I try to think about what I'm going to be eating all day and them spread it out over the course of the day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Almost every time someone posts this topic (about once a day) the answer is that they aren't eating enough. I can't see your diary so I don't know if this applies to you.
    If you have an unrealistically high weight loss goal then MFP will default to 1200 cals a day and that really isn't much at all for most people.

If you are eating all the calories that MFP suggests (and extra when you exercise) but you are still hungry, then start experimenting with the kinds of foods that you are eating. Meat and veggies doesn't keep me full for long, but if I add in some potato or rice or pasta (ie carbs) then I stay full for longer. Lots of other people say that more protein keeps them full. There isn't any right or wrong here, just experiment to see what works for you.
  • BenChase
    Options
    well if possible i say excercise more :smile: i eat when i am hungry (almost every hour i am awake) and never worry about my calories, most days i end up somewhere between 3300 to 3500 calories and i have been maintaining this way for months now, i am the same weight i was back in may, more excercise = no worrys about eating all the time,which really works for me cause i'm always hungry hahaha
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This ALWAYS happens to me when I'm not getting enough sleep, or wake up too early.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? How much do you exercise? Do you eat any of those calories back. You might be hungry because your body needs fuel.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with all of the suggestions on eating protein for breakfast. I've actually taken to eating chicken tikka masala or lamb saag frozen dinners for breakfast... 290 / 300 calories for the meal, and plenty of protein!
  • NWMomof4
    NWMomof4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It can take time to adjust to different diets and food. Hunger cravings aren't unusual. Here are some things that work to solve them:

1. Try eating more protein for breakfast. I would definitely not call a bagel thin a good breakfast. That's actually your stereotypical high carb & high GI index breakfast that's bad. In general, try and eat protein and veggies/fruit at every single meal!

2. You can try eating more often too. For example, measure out an ounce of almonds and have a few anytime the hunger pangs start.

3. Coffee and Tea are AWESOME for blunting hunger cravings.

4. NEVER snack on simple processed carbs. Seriously, if you must snack, make it real food: whole fat dairy product, fruit, veggies, nuts, lean meat, etc. Avoid snacking on things like chips, bread, etc.

I agree with this post 100%!! I've lost over 100lbs and this has been a long road and a bumpy one but the above suggestions is what I've used to not be hungry all the time. #4 is huge...Lean proteins and plant based foods (nuts, hard boiled egg, quinoa, veggies, fruits, greek yogurt) to keep you full longer. I do allow myself the things I love (like pizza) once in a while, just not everyday. Lots of water too!

Best of luck!