The Skogg System

Options
Anyone had any experience? Been through the programme and pleased with the results?

I like people who are form hawks when it comes to fitness. This guy seems like he's all business and form is king for him.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    bump for feedback!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    never heard of it
  • jimmmer
    Options
    It's a kettlebell training programme.... Guy's from Portland in the States: Michael Skoggs.

I think I might give it a go, but wondered if anyone else has tried it and could offer some insights..... doesn't seem like it though!
  • elspencero
    elspencero Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My review is a little disjointed.

I have worked with Michael in the past. He is absolutely ripped and knowledgable about fitness. I have done/still do kettlebells, but not with Michael.

Kettlebells are an amazing workout. Your heart rate stays elevated while working both major and stabilizing muscles. Form is key for this or you risk messing up your back.

I also think there is a difference between looking strong and being strong. Kettlebells will help you gain overall strength and stamina.

Keep me posted.
  • Linda1725
    Linda1725 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have his DVD's and they are a great workout if you are looking for a home based workout. His cues and instruction are excellent and it's a great way to learn good form. Kettlebells are a great way to combine both cardio and strength and burn a lot of fat. The most common problem that I see (I have a background in personal training) is rounding of the spine...just be careful and use a mirror to adjust your form if you can. Start "light" and increase your weight once you've mastered the form.

If you're looking for an effective, time-efficient workout that can be done at home I think this is worth the investment.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells.... Great but your whole routine should have more than just kettle bells. Even if you do kettle bell competitions.

For example: I do powerlifting competitions. To get where I want to be on a competitive level, I do big compounds, use kettle bells, do sprints, and Olympic lift. I don't JUST squat bench deadlift.

I have a gym friend who does kettle bell lifting competitions and yes he does a lot of kettle bell work, but he also smart enough to realize how to train properly.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Well, thanks to Plates, Linda and elspencero for the feedback. Skoggs seems well-respected and his emphasis on form is something I gravitate towards when it comes to fitness, Elspencero's comments seem to back this up. Linda's comments contain a great pointer about roundness - I shall remember.... Thanks!

Plates: as to putting myself on an all-kettlebell diet, well lets just say I like steak but I'm not going to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day! Just wanted to know whether this programme was injury-causing, full of bad-form, if the guy's super irritating after 2 weeks, etc, etc..... thought I'd give it a fair shake of the stick for a month and then work the workouts into the appropriate place in my personal schedule in the future if they turn out to be keepers...... I train a variety of things and am always looking to add new techniques to my arsenal. As I get older, I have become a lot more savvy about just how to keep the old machine running smoothly and injury free (something any long-term Martial Artist will tell you is a full-time job!)

Also, I'm sure I posted another response on here (and there where other responses too), what happened to the rest of the thread?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    they removed all of the arguementative stuff hahaa.

Plates pretty much nailed it. Kettlebells are fine for adding variety, but I don't think you should strictly focus on using them.