Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Treadmill distance vs outdoor running distance

2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you run at the same effort for 60 minutes outside and 60 minutes inside, does it really matter what the treadmill reads for distance covered? You don't need to do any conversions. That's a bunch of horse hockey.

Another alternative is just to run outside. They make clothes for running in the cold. As long as it's not icy, get out there and run.

This

I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can run more ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you run at the same effort for 60 minutes outside and 60 minutes inside, does it really matter what the treadmill reads for distance covered? You don't need to do any conversions. That's a bunch of horse hockey.

Another alternative is just to run outside. They make clothes for running in the cold. As long as it's not icy, get out there and run.

exactly what carson said, this last winter i figured out i don't like anything under 27 degrees outside...how much do you think i was out there to figure it down to the degree? that's right, a whole lot!! treadmills suck, outside is the only way to go :tongue: though everyone has their own opinion i guess

27°F is comfortable! :happy: It's when you get below 20°F that it starts to get cold. :wink:

Carson, c'mon up for a run in Ottawa at the end of January, early February. Temperatures of -20 to -35C are not uncommon and, if dressed properly running outdoors can be very enjoyable. Layers!

I'm not scared!

Let me know when you're coming, I've got a futon in the guest room. :happy: (They haven't announced the date for the Hypothermic Half yet, you just have to promise not to laugh at how slow I am!)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member

exactly what carson said, this last winter i figured out i don't like anything under 27 degrees outside...how much do you think i was out there to figure it down to the degree? that's right, a whole lot!! treadmills suck, outside is the only way to go :tongue: though everyone has their own opinion i guess

27°F is comfortable! :happy: It's when you get below 20°F that it starts to get cold. :wink:

Carson, c'mon up for a run in Ottawa at the end of January, early February. Temperatures of -20 to -35C are not uncommon and, if dressed properly running outdoors can be very enjoyable. Layers!

I'm not scared!

Let me know when you're coming, I've got a futon in the guest room. :happy: (They haven't announced the date for the Hypothermic Half yet, you just have to promise not to laugh at how slow I am!)

I'm quite sure I'll be too cold to laugh. Still not scared though. :wink:
  • 27°F is comfortable! :happy: It's when you get below 20°F that it starts to get cold. :wink:

well keep in mind this past winter was my first, i have not been running long, i'm sure this winter will not be the same as last, but i'm going off what i know for now :wink: hahaha

The key is head and hands. Keep them warm and the rest will be fine. I love my Under Armour running hats. Fleece on the outside, wicking material on the inside. If the head starts to get a little warm, roll it up off the ears.

So a good hat - I'll check the recommendation - what other outdoor in the winter running in 10 - 30 degree temps do you have? it will be my first winter with running and I don't even know where to start with what I might want. I have a compression shirt that wicks, a fleece hat that you can put a warmer in (gift from son and I'm fearing will be far to warm with the warmer), I know I need gloves, but what else and what kind? Big ol' wool mittens seem overdone when running.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    All this talk of running in the cold is making me want to layer up! It gets down into the 50's sometimes in the dead of winter here where I live in Southern California. A little chilly for me, since I love it warm, but I suffer through...:laugh:
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member

I'm good well into the teens - unless it's windy. Hate the wind! LOL - I look like Frosty the Snowman when I leave the house and come back in looking like a spirit wraith --- all those layers are off and tied onto my body in a bizarre fashion.

This. Made my life.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Do you listen to Elliot in the morning?
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    ...because the treadmill is moving as you are in the air between steps...

That's a pretty big assumption that I'm actually getting airtime in between steps. I saw my shadow the other day while I was "running". It looked more like a Tim Conway shuffle.

"Happy birthday to yewww, Mrs. Hoo-igans..."
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    So a good hat - I'll check the recommendation - what other outdoor in the winter running in 10 - 30 degree temps do you have? it will be my first winter with running and I don't even know where to start with what I might want. I have a compression shirt that wicks, a fleece hat that you can put a warmer in (gift from son and I'm fearing will be far to warm with the warmer), I know I need gloves, but what else and what kind? Big ol' wool mittens seem overdone when running.

I love Mizuno Breathe Thermo myself for the upper layers. I have 2 pairs of Pearl Izumi tights that I alternate between - thin vs thick. My thin (warmer) pair are the Pearl Izumi Select and my thicker (colder) pair are the Pearl Izumi Thermal. SmartWool PhD socks are great as well. I lived in the mountains of NH and ran in some sub-20 below F temps 2 winters ago. I love it, but you have to be smart.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Lol, I've heard a lot of reasons but that was the best one yet. I also heard because the treadmill propels you forward... that's a good one.

Anyway, I did hear that to really mimic running outside you should set it to a 1% incline (like the others have said). I don't really know if it has much basis to it other than easier on the joints like Carson said, but I figured it can't hurt!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member

My problem is I have no daylight before or after work when winter gets here, so I will have to find another alternative to outside running (which I love).
  • CarsonRuns

My problem is I have no daylight before or after work when winter gets here, so I will have to find another alternative to outside running (which I love).

Get a headlamp and a reflective vest.
  • CarsonRuns

well keep in mind this past winter was my first, i have not been running long, i'm sure this winter will not be the same as last, but i'm going off what i know for now :wink: hahaha

The key is head and hands. Keep them warm and the rest will be fine. I love my Under Armour running hats. Fleece on the outside, wicking material on the inside. If the head starts to get a little warm, roll it up off the ears.

The key is to dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than it is. Also, layers. You are on the right track with the wicking base layers. I swear by Under Armour Cold Gear mock turtle necks. I wear this with a tech shirt down to about 25, then I'll through on a lighter base layer with a fleece over the top. I don't like to be too warm. For me, shorts down to about 20°F, unless it's windy, then I'll go tights a little sooner. Most any running store is going to have a good selection of gear.
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Yes I listen to EITM.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member

Well... 27 degrees is getting a bit warm for me - I'd say 20- 24 is about nice running weather. Anything under about 12 degrees (centrigrade!) is too cold for me :smile:
    Can you tell I'm an Aussie? Your cold winters would kill me.