Atkins for me

Options
2»

Replies

• MommyToCutie
    MommyToCutie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My dad went on the Atkins diet years ago when it first became popular and he lost a lot of weight quickly. It wasn't a permanent solution though; he gained the weight right back after going off the diet. Hopefully the new and improved Atkins is better. Good luck! :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I did Akins and lost, then gained, then did it again and lost, then gained, then again.

Personally I think you are better off just sticking to a calorie budget. After 15 years of yo-yo dieting simply eating less worked for me. But I think it helped that I cut out sugar years ago for health reasons, and when I was losing weight I ate one serving of carbs a day, two at the most on occasion. It worked.

The problem with any of those diets is that they are not sustainable, you suddenly go crazy craving what you have restricted yourself from. That is the problem with restrictive diets and why people lose than gain.

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I did Akins and lost, then gained, then did it again and lost, then gained, then again.

Personally I think you are better off just sticking to a calorie budget. After 15 years of yo-yo dieting simply eating less worked for me. But I think it helped that I cut out sugar years ago for health reasons, and when I was losing weight I ate one serving of carbs a day, two at the most on occasion. It worked.

The problem with any of those diets is that they are not sustainable, you suddenly go crazy craving what you have restricted yourself from. That is the problem with restrictive diets and why people lose than gain.

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

That's awesome it worked for you! And DANG I would love to look a fraction as good as you do when I'm 51!
  • LuisaAdames
    Options
    I've done Atkins several times to lose weight fast. You can lose weight in one week and gain it back plus some the next! So, try it and if it works for you then hooray! :-) I'd rather do Weight Watchers and/or stick to MFP. WW worked very well as I lost 43 lbs in about 6 months and it took me years to gain back 20 of those...now, MFP is working just as nicely!
  • kaykayvoodoodoll
    kaykayvoodoodoll Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    well I am on Atkin ish diet I am good 98% of the time ---seems to work and my skin is glowing and hair feels fuller that could be from just not crap period though lol