What keeps you going day after day???

Options
I am having the hardest time staying focused and on track. Or I mess up once and just say, "I'll start again next week". How do I avoid that? Then I get depressed and mad at myself and of course, that makes it worse.... HELP!:sad:

Replies

• JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thinking of how I will look in my clothes the next day. If I don't work out/eat right, I hate getting dressed the next morning. If I exercise and eat well, I know the clothes are going to LOOK better and FEEL better. Do you REALLY want to go backwards? Really?
  • toddjg
    Options
    I think of it this way....

The process is not like walking on a flat surface. It is like climbing a hill. Any step back backward is downhill and easy. Going forward is uphill and harder. Every time I am tempted by whatever - snacks in the breakroom, all you can eat french fries, fried instead of backed fish or chicken - I think how much harder it is to ascend a hill than to descend. Then I choose not to go backward.

I also think of the data - this really is all just a math equation at its heart. I equate the calories to one of two things - weight or physical exertion. Is it worth it. If it is, then eat it (and, presumably, do the exertion to avoid the weight).

Then again, I am fairly OCD and competitive, so that might help as well.
  • Rebeccawks
    Rebeccawks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :) Great question! I have dealt with (currently deal with on occasion) this question over the past 5 years. Some days I just get so frustrated. This is how I view it, and I hope it helps!

- I tell myself that even if i mess up one meal, it doesn't mean my whole day is messed up. I used to think of diets/healthy eating as only beginning on Mondays. I now know that my life doesn't start on Monday. I want to enjoy tomorrow because of what I've done today.

You've realized the cycle. You know you will get depressed. Use that as motivation.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There are tons of things that help keep me motivated, because like most users on MFP, this isn't my first time trying to get rid of my belly:

1. I have an inspiration board on Pinterest that I look at when I get a bad craving, don't feel like working out, etc.. Looking at images of my goal makes it so much easier than just thinking about it.
    2. I am competitive, and I have a few RL friends that are doing this with me. We give each other progress reports, and I do not like being the one furthest behind.
    3. I usually but a pair of cheap jeans the next size down, and I will try them on from time to time to see how much more until I can fit into them comfortably.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I go to the Old Navy Website and look at the Corduroy pants (WHICH I LOVE) and know how uncomfortable it is to wear that when you're fat and dream of wearing it thin :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The main thing that keeps me motivated is my health. I know that I was a ticking time bomb, and every healthy bite I put in my mouth and every step I take on my walks is bringing me that much closer to being as healthy as I can be for myself, and for my family.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's a great question! What makes it great is that it doesn't have an easy answer.

For me, the exercise is the "easy" part. I can do the work and enjoy it much of the time and never regret having done it. Food however, is tougher. I'll be good for 2 weeks then have a day or two that isn't so good. When I look at the bad days, they are better than if I wasn't trying to be better. Figure 5 or 6 good days a week on average is still going to get you where you want to be. It may take longer but since hopefully it's a lifetime change which means unless I get unlucky will still provide me many healthy years.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Taking it one day at a time. Reminding myself that its going to take self control and dedication to get what I want.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Set small realistic goals for yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up occaionally. This is a lifestyle change and it likely didn't take you a day or a week to get to this point. It won't be that quick to change it.

Good luck.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've built some great friendships on here and seriously its them that keeps me going. They are amazing motivators! :happy:
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Once I got my act together and realized that food = fuel and is NOT the enemy, I got much better. Well, that and this link, which helped educate me on what my body truly needed: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Other motivators:
    1. My kids
    2. My future
    3. My health
    4. Goals - to complete a half marathon

I'm the only one who can control the outcome.

Each day might not be pretty, but it is the sum of many days that will make the difference.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Try posting progress pics which will hold you accountable. In the end you just have to do it for yourself. Aren't you tired of starting over?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    do you like the results of what your current habits get you?

if not, change them

if so, don't

reality is, nothing good comes easy, and that which comes easy usually isn't worth much, if anything at all
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I stopped stressing about this awhile ago. Stress makes me gain weight, which gives me more stress, which makes me gain more weight....

I do what I need to do. If I want a donut, I eat it. If I want a salad, I eat it. However, I realize that the choices I make today WILL have an effect on my scale weight tomorrow and maybe the day after that.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I tell myself that even if i mess up one meal, it doesn't mean my whole day is messed up. I used to think of diets/healthy eating as only beginning on Mondays. I now know that my life doesn't start on Monday. I want to enjoy tomorrow because of what I've done today.

So true! life doesn't start on monday lol. I LOVE THIS
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Seeing the progress that I've made in 2 months keeps me going. I do not want to go back. I have so much energy now and I never had that before. At work I have a pic of myself at 150lbs posted and that helps me not binge at work. You can do it!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    vanity
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have this tendency, too.....but what is great about a site like this is that when i DO want to beat myself up about my missteps, i post something....and the mfp friends will be supportive and REMIND me that it is just one day.....or one pizza......and that i have the ability to "start over" the next day.

Somehow just hearing someone be supportive even when i fall down is helping me not fall down as often. So my point is, be honest with your feelings, and let this mfp community HELP you!

good luck!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    One day at a time honey. If you get off of it one day, then start over the next. There is no "next week I will start over", because most people won't.

One day at a time.

What keeps me going? I love the way I feel, I love the control I have, I love the energy I have, I love that my life may last longer, and I really really really don't want to be old and worried about my health (in and out of doctor's offices) just because I couldn't control myself when I was younger. I want to die of old age, not diabetes or cardiovascular failure.

Viva your health!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    w all have days or times like that but if you fall off then get back and keep trying at som point it will just click and all will fit into place