Weighing items on a food scale.

akb2006
akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I just purchased a food scale and have a couple questions.

Am I supposed to weigh the food before its cooked or after its cooked. Does it make a difference? I usually buy frozen skinless chicken breasts, and the veggies that steam in the bag so I can't really cut it open to weigh it. What about pasta should I weigh that uncooked or cooked? Thanks!

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Wish I could help, I am in need of a food scale so I am looking for those answers too. But first...where did you get yours, what kind and how much?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Usually they have a cooked and raw version in the database, so if you cook it then weigh it, use the cooked version. If you weigh it raw use the raw version. With pasta usually it tells you the serving size on the box whether it is cooked or dry - usu it is the dry measure (same with beans or any other dry food).
  • I weight pasta dry. I weight frozen chicken breasts when frozen, allowing a little extra weight for water/moisture.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    I weigh pasta dry. I used to cook only one portion of pasta for me then the rest. But once I was used the the portion size I stopped doing that. I weigh chicken frozen because thats mostly how I have it. I weigh pretty much everything, and just be careful like on chips use the grams instead of number of chips, you'll get the right amount. I've also noticed that if something says serving size as one cup, and I measure it in the measuring cup but using the weight amount it'll be less. So I make sure I use the weight instead of the measuring cup to be more accurate. With veggies that steam in a bag, I usually weigh the whole thing after it is cooked and then give each of us half and count that as half a bag no matter of the weight. I use my scale everyday and in two month went through batteries.

28.34 grams in an ounce
    16 ounces in a pound
    30 mL = one ounce

Good luck on your lifestyle change. I decided to do a lifestyle change to have less problems when we start to have kids.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies! Having kids does definitely help keep a person motivated to do this. I don't want my daughter or my soon to be son to learn my poor eating habbits or become overweight. My daughter loves fresh fruit, lean meat, and veggies. She rarley even wants any of the junk/snacky food. I can't wait to break in this food scale. That will really be an eye opener for me I'm sure!

ETA: Sorry -- I got it on ebay it was 14.95 or 15.95 with free shipping. Just search for digital food scale and you'll find it.
This discussion has been closed.