Running speed...what is considered 'good'?

Options
I'm just wondering what is considered 'good' or 'average' or even 'fast' for a runner? What is a good pace?

I can run at 7mph for a shorter period of time, but usually run at 6mph for anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.

I've only really been properly at this whole running thing a little over a month! Is this considered a good speed/pace...would I be considered 'fit' or 'in shape'?

Mainly want to know for health reasons :smile:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't do MPH, so I'll speak in terms of minutes per mile.

Most recreational runners do their easy runs somewhere between about 10:00 and 12:00 per mile. Some a little faster, some a little slower, but the bulk fall into that range. Most of those people, with some training, will run a 5K in right around 30 minutes. Some a little faster, some a little slower. I know that your 6mph converts to 10:00 mile, so you are right in that range. Nice job!

Fast? Well that's a different story. World class runners will complete a 5K in under 13:00. That's just over 4:00 per mile. A good local class 5K with a couple hundred runners might be won by someone that posts 16:xx something. Around the 5:00 mile mark.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is incredibly fast! Is it better to run long distance at a slower pace, or short distance at a faster pace, for overall health and weightloss? This I'd LOVE to know! :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Wow...that is incredibly fast! Is it better to run long distance at a slower pace, or short distance at a faster pace, for overall health and weightloss? This I'd LOVE to know! :smile:

For overall health and weight loss, I don't really know. For training to be the best runner you can be, to race in distances from about 800m up to marathon and beyond, you have to run a lot of miles at an easy pace. I'm talking 40 to up to 120+ miles per week, 85% will be easy with some faster stuff mixed in. Of course, it takes a long time to get there.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you've only been at running for a month for the first time and you are already up to an hour at 10 min miles I expect you could be a pretty good runner with some consistent training over time.

For overall health i.e. aerobic fitness, the best thing is to run long. That doesn't necessarily mean slow as your pace will get faster as your fitness increases. As an added bonus, it also burns more calories overall.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also under the impression to increase speed and endurance, one should cross train between long runs as well to prevent injury and improve agility and muscle strength. Thoughts?
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options

I would mix up the run with some interval work. Nothing crazy, but just plodding along at the same 10 minute mile pace will probably require a longer time/more effort than mixinig in some stuff that makes your lungs hurt. Why not try both and see what works best for you?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I am also under the impression to increase speed and endurance, one should cross train between long runs as well to prevent injury and improve agility and muscle strength. Thoughts?

You can. It's probably not a bad idea for someone just starting out. But to run your best, you need to run a lot. A lot of elites cross train, but they still put in the miles.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    All good info, thanks for making the thread!
  • Lyra89
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, great info here :smile: Is it true that running is bad for the knee joints in old age, or is that just hear-say?
  • jroselive2012
    Options

Hey! I just had this discussion with my trainer at the gym! What she said is longer distance, slower pace; short distance, fast fast fast. As in doing interval training with sprints for 20 min, going full force on the bike for 20 min, etc. Then switching it up and working out to a slower heartrate (mine would be right about 122 bpm on elliptical, bike, whatever for 45 min - 1 hour. That sort of thing. Not all in the same training session of course. You are right on target!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The whole running speed thing is extremely subjective. Some run 9 minute miles and think that is fast. Some to 12 minute miles. Some do 5 minute minute miles. You can't begin to compare yourself with others, really. A good speed for running is what works for you, has your heart rate in the 80% category and you would have trouble talking - that is "fast" for you. For me, that comes at a 12-minute rate which for lots of people is slow. I don't care. It works for me. Anyway, any good pace is one that gets you out the door and down the road. Unless you are training for the Olympics, the rest is just icing that comes with practice.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a definitive answer on the best sort of running to lose weight. There is some talk of intervals (Google it) and just plain running like you are doing. To train for long runs is different than sprints. It seems the best weight loss routines seem to be shaking it up buy changing what you do every few weeks.

There are lots of plans online for running all sorts of races. I have done 5 and 10K, and now I am working on a 1/2 marathon. But I just like to run even if I don't lose weight.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, great info here :smile: Is it true that running is bad for the knee joints in old age, or is that just hear-say?

Totally false. Studies show there are no ill effects on the joints from running and it some subjects, running has improved joint health.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what is considered 'good' or 'average' or even 'fast' for a runner? What is a good pace?

I can run at 7mph for a shorter period of time, but usually run at 6mph for anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.

I've only really been properly at this whole running thing a little over a month! Is this considered a good speed/pace...would I be considered 'fit' or 'in shape'?

Any pace of running is better & faster than the person sitting on the couch. Just sayin'.
    I'm pretty proud of my 12 MPH pace. And I probably won't get any faster than that with my short legs.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For health, it's good to mix up your training. Some long steady runs, some speed work, some hills work and some intervals work. This will also help improve running pace on the longer runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Any pace of running is better & faster than the person sitting on the couch. Just sayin'.
    I'm pretty proud of my 12 MPH pace. And I probably won't get any faster than that with my short legs.

Just so you know, short legs won't prevent you from running fast. I'm 5'4". There are world class runners my height and shorter. It's all about turnover.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You can avoid injury by a) getting good shoes properly fitted, b) drinking lots of water which is good for your joints, c) strength training by doing squats, lunges, leg lifts and crunches (hey throw in push ups and jumping jacks), d) taking joint supplements if needed (which work for some people like me!), e) stretching properly, and f) don't increase your mileage too quickly.

I had knee and foot surgery that was related to arthritis and previous injuries.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Just so you know, short legs won't prevent you from running fast. I'm 5'4". There are world class runners my height and shorter. It's all about turnover.

12MPH is still faster and better than sitting on the couch.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For health reasons as you ask I think the first responder is correct. 10-12 minute miles works for most people. I think increasing speed could have 4 good justifications; 1) If you intend to compete in races or 2) speed is part of your running passion or 3) your time to run window is more limited (then in order to progress you may only have increased speed as the way to do so). and 4) you want to include speedwork (ex; interval training) as part of your routine.

We don't want to do the same thing week in and week out. Our bodies are just to good at getting used to something and then the benefit dwindles. We want to see progression. That can be done with distance, speed, steady or variable pace, hill work, off road work and any combination thereof.

It seems that you have already determined what your urrent natural training pace is. If you are progressing on distance then your natural pace should improve automatically. But there are training methods that can ramp up your pace progress at a higher rate than what comes from a natural pace. So it comes down to what type of running you want to do. Running for distance or for speed both have shared and unique benefits and both are sometimes part of an overall running routine. Neither, in my opinion, is superior to the other.
  • Lyra89
    Options
    12mph? :noway: You mean you can run 3miles in 15minutes?