Own Zone programming on their Polar HRM - April Fools?

Options
Okay... I'm a little exasperated right now. I'll admit it. I was all enthused that there might be an easier way to determine where my level should be now for MHR and THR. My RS100 Polar HRM will "test" my heart's condition and performance for the day and then set a proper working level. Cool, I think. So, armed with my HRM and these wonderful instructions.... here's what really happened.

What it says will happen:
--Determination of your OwnZone happens in five stages.
--Walk at a slow pace for 1 min. Keep your heart rate below 100 bpm/ 50% HRmax during this first stage.
--Walk at a normal pace for 1 min. Slowly increase your heart rate by 10-20 bpm/ 5% HRmax.
--Walk at a brisk pace for 1 min. Slowly increase your heart rate by 10-20 bpm/ 5 % HRmax.
--Jog at a slow pace for 1 min. Slowly increase your heart rate by 10-20 bpm/ 5% HRmax.
--Jog at brisk pace or run for 1 min.
At some point during the five stages you will hear two beeps. Your OwnZone has now been determined and you can begin
your planned exercise session.

What really happens... try #1:
Walked super slow for 1 minute to keep bpm below 100bpm. Then, walked 10bpm faster but it was not my "normal" pace for 1 minute. Walked yet another 10 bpm even faster, but was not a "brisk" pace for me. Jogged 2 steps, literally 1 then 2... and it beeped and said it was done. Levels set at 123 to 149 (which is what I had it set to manually before anyway).

What really happens... try #2:
Walked a little faster of a "slow" pace and fought to keep bpm at 99 just under 100. Walked faster approximately 10-12 bpm higher for 1 minute. Started brisk walk and it beeped and said it was done. Now the levels were set to 132 to 149.

What really happens... try #3:
Said screw it, walked fast and then jogged during the first 2 minutes... it stopped me early and same results as 2.

Does this really do or test anything? Have any of you used this feature? It sure doesn't follow its own directions and I am about to give up on it's "own zone" custom programming. Sheesh.

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i have a polar rs300 and i never do the ramp up walking thing. i just go and it eventually beeps and tells me my range, it's almost always 128-144. if i'm slacking it will give me a range beginning with 114. sometimes it takes it a while to beep, sometimes it goes right away. i gave up on figuring it out as it's maxing right about 80% of my max hr anyway.