pushing yourself during exercise

Options
When your in the moment of exercising and your body is fatigued, what do you tell your self to keep pushing through to the end. Especially when your doing long time/distances.

Replies

• AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    my mantra is "My head is giving up, my body can do this" or "I'm not tired, I'm lazy... move faster"
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    "Just until that light post" "just until that curve in the road up ahead" "just 10 more" etc etc... and once I get there, I nelson laugh at myself and Jillian myself into going longer and further, because I'm sadistic like that.

I'm definitely a numbers person, though. If I can concentrate on bigger, better numbers, it motivates me.
  • Calliesmom1
    Options
    I DON't I suck at exercise :(
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    for me, it's usually running that i need that mental push for. often it's knowing that i'll be disappointed if i don't push myself through to the end, and the reason i'm doing it in the first place is because something needs changing for the better.

if it's lifting, i tell myself i'll be stronger and have the ever-so-addictive muscle soreness to feel good about
  • coolschmool
    Options
    At my gym nearly all the equipment is facing a mirror so I look myself in the eye just tell myself not to stop. I look at my body, bit by bit and think about what i'm working for! Thinking about the feeling you'll get when you finish and you know you've pushed through the hard phase you're in at that very moment is great.
    Sometimes I pretend Jillian Michaels is there! I know that if there was a serious trainer with me I wouldn't stop when I hit that wall.
    Also, some of the most common advice is to concentrate on your breathing for a minute or two (count 100 breaths), then concentrate on your steps (if you're running!) for 200 steps or so and then think about your form and repeat until everything comes naturally again.
    I think it's different for everyone - but the more you push yourself the easier it becomes to do it again as you know you've done it before!
    x
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning to run and have gone so far from 45 second intervals to 5 minutes. When it gets hard I tell myself that I won't improve if i don't push myself and I really want to be able to run a 5k, and I also do the "just until that tree (garbage can, bench, corner whatever). Sometimes once I push through the hard part if gets a bit easier and I can go even longer.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i try not to think about it, not let those thoughts in. if they do, i do my best to ignore them and keep going. if anything i may think, "KEEP GOING"
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I give myself a goal. For instance, if I go for a run I will give my self a target such as getting to the next tree or shop. I also say that it is mind over matter. Giving myself a time to run helps. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • I just started working out again and I know the point you are talking about where you are completely ready to quit you are so tired and for me it is usually you know the last 5,6,7 minutes of a work out. I compare it to music or television commercials (I know it sounds goofy). If there are six minutes left I am like only two more songs left. Also if you work out on the elliptical use intervals it breaks everything into 30 second segments it feels like you are accomplishing something every time and it distracts the brain from how much overall time you have to complete. I also think about how lousy I am going to feel if I don't complete those extra 5 minutes like I was able to run 20 but not those extra 5 really lol. I hope this helps <3
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Must. Get. Back. To. The. Car.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can do this. I am strong.
  • UWWYellowbaby
    UWWYellowbaby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's really hard - but I end up pushing through and creating mini goals within the goal and usually repeat nonsense in my head over and over to ignore the time that is passing. So for example, when I'm running if I still have a mile left, I'll break it down into 400 meters, and just repeat 1 and 2 over and over with each step. Once I've passed the first goal, I tell myself 3 left, and continue the 1,2 mantra. It sounds boring, but it really makes the time move faster because your not focusing on the larger picture and distracting yourself in the mean time.

If you find something that works best for you - please share! I know we are all interested!!!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    pushing harder... giving 5 more minutes..... one more mile.... it isn't going to kill you! Keep going!

although --I am really bad at self deprecation and tend to use all kinds of things like- you want to stay a fatty forever? come on fatso-- push, hey tubby, your never going to get better if you quit now. etc. etc. etc.... it goes on for a while
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I give myself a goal. For instance, if I go for a run I will give my self a target such as getting to the next tree or shop. I also say that it is mind over matter. Giving myself a time to run helps. Feel free to add me as a friend.

I don't run but I do this as well in my other workouts. I set little mini incremental goals like hanging in with an exercise video 30 secs longer than last time before taking a 5 count breather. If I could only complete half a set of something last time...I try to match it and then go for two or three more reps. Also make notes on a workout log about the little things I like to improve on, so that the next time I'm about to do the workout I read them and get my head right and shoot for those mini goals. The notes also help me on days where I'm dragging my feet and don't "feel" like working out. They remind me of how far I've come and where I could improve.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I usually tell myself only 2 more minutes then i keep going.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I usually tell myself that I'll go to the end of this song. The next one comes on and I just keep going. I also heard a great mantra from someone on this site "My legs are strong, my feet are light." I repeat this over and over until my mind goes on auto pilot and I just keep going.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If i find my last run too hard or too long, I tend to get mad at myself mostly with 'suck it up princess it's your fault this is hard in the first place!'
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Smile. I put on a smile and tell myself it's not that bad. Almost done. You'll feel better after you puke at the end
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I run outside, and I have to keep going to get back home at a decent time. I can't just hop off the dreadmill and be back at my apartment in five minutes. If I stop and walk, it could add another half hour onto my workout.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This is when I rely on music. I quickly switch my iPod to one of my,"go to," motivational albums and just focus on every single word and push through.