Question for people bulking

Options
How much cardio do you do, if any? How has that worked for you?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When bulking, none is a good place to start. If you're eating really, really heavy (4000-5000 cal), or have an overriding need for improved cardiovascular fitness, then one day a week is okay.
  • BenChase
    Options
    i am assuming by your name and picture you run alot, the above poster was correct, none is a great place to start, but i would also assume you don't want to do that, many people say no more than 30 minutes 3 times a week for cardio (max, as stated none is better) i however for now am trying to bulk/cut in few week cycles. i still run and do plenty of cardio but doing things this way will take an EXTREME amount of time because cardio burns off the muscle you are trying to build, it is a VERY slow process this way, but can be done. depends on your goals :wink:
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Think of it in terms of the olympic runners.

100m runners = Huge
    200m runners = Big
    400m runners = Bigish

anddd they get smaller and smaller as the distance gets greater.

HIIT = Good while bulking (and cutting for that matter)
    Long distance, not so good.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    i am assuming by your name and picture you run alot, the above poster was correct, none is a great place to start, but i would also assume you don't want to do that, many people say no more than 30 minutes 3 times a week for cardio (max, as stated none is better) i however for now am trying to bulk/cut in few week cycles. i still run and do plenty of cardio but doing things this way will take an EXTREME amount of time because cardio burns off the muscle you are trying to build, it is a VERY slow process this way, but can be done. depends on your goals :wink:

I used to run a bunch. I cut way back to try and bulk. Right now I'm doing maybe 20 minutes of cardio, 2 to 3 times a week. I've gained about 9 pounds in 3 months or so. I was just wondering what others do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    9 pounds in 3 months is pretty damn impressive. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    9 pounds in 3 months is pretty damn impressive. Keep doing what you're doing!

Good to hear. I'm sure it's some noob gains, and more fat than I'd like. I'm less strict about the number of calories now than I ever was while trying to lose, and I've eaten way over a few times, but overall I'm happy with it for my first serious attempt at gaining weight.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I personally do 3-4 session of 30 mins per week when bulking. Was up to 270lb last bulk, currently at 238lb. Gonna ramp up bulk from early October when back from Thailand and looking for 285lb this year...
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I personally do 3-4 session of 30 mins per week when bulking. Was up to 270lb last bulk, currently at 238lb. Gonna ramp up bulk from early October when back from Thailand and looking for 285lb this year...

Don't spend any time in the saunas, they are killer!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    How much cardio do you do, if any? How has that worked for you?

30-45 min 4 days a week. currently 230+ lbs give or take a few lbs.from day to day but not currently bulking yet for another month.