Nutritious foods to increase calorie intake

Options
Hey all,

I am pretty new to MFP and I find myself discovering new things about weightloss daily. Recently I have learned that I am not eating enough calories, so even though I am consumind 1200-1300 a day, my exercise reduced this net almost everyday. I only realized this when I stopped loosing weight over the past couple of weeks. I eat quiet nutritious food and never feel hungry. I have read on another thread that avocado and peanut butter [can you suggest a brand? someone on another thread mentioned "sanitarium - no added salt or sugar]) can quickly add calories.. but would appreciate any other ideas (nutritious food only haha.. I know that cake and the like can increase it but this is not my intention).

Also, what would recommend as a pre and post workout snack?

My diary is open to friends on MFP so if you think you can help, please add me! ;-)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, avocados and nuts or nut butters are great, calorie dense foods that are good for ya. As for brands, check the label, and the fewer ingredients the better!

Using olive oil or coconut oil in cooking or salad dressings can help bump up your calories and healthy fats with just a tablespoon or two.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can go two ways with this, either eat nuts or oils to top up your calories, or just eat something bad. One keeps you 'healthy', one stops you going off the wagon. What ever works for you.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    sweet potato is a great post-workout snack.

olives, nut butters, avocado. You can hide avocado in lots of things... smoothies, dressings, dips
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I swear by milk. Many people say 'don't drink your calories' but if you are undereating and aren't hungry, why stretch out your stomach? As long as you don't have a casein allergy or intolerance to lactose, switching to 3 cups of (skim) milk instead of 2 cups water gives you 250-260 calories, 1/3 of your daily need for potassium, pretty much all of your calcium needs, and 25-26 g of protein!