Options
    slumdog millionaire? Great movie
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    the boy in the striped pajamas
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Never seen slumdog millionaire or the boy in striped pajamas.

I'm going to scour netflix soon
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    What is the course? It's called Social & Cultural Class? That's super vague
    What does your prof mean by "significant diversity content"? ...that is also vague to me... knowing what the course topics you have discussed would help

That is the course, Social & Cultural (Psychology) and I have NO idea what she means by that, honestly I can hardly understand half the crap she says because her Nigerian accent is so thick.

Social and Cultural psychology...

Ok, the assignment makes perfect sense to me. Watch a movie that involves cultural diversity/contention.
    How does the movie make you -feel
    Does the movie -enlighten you- about this specific cultural contention?

Lets look at
    The Milagro Beanfield war
    It's about a rich community next to an ag community. A rich white dude wants to divert natural water flow to their community and keep it from the farmers. And a guy dies, which is pretty cool because you don't really know he's dead unless you pay attention.

Boys Don't Cry,
    It's about a a girl, who dresses and acts like a boy and falls in love. 'he' is found out and brutally assaulted Story is about Brandon in the midwest.

Stand and Deliver
    hispanic math teacher who encourages kids in LA to do better at math to get a high enough score to do good on the SATs and get into college. The class is diverse and and there are parts on each ethnic character and how education isn't very easy in their parts.

what I believe the teacher is looking for is how movies enlighten other people psychologically on other cultures and allow for them to have an understanding and empathy for them.

PASS ON THE BOY IN STRIPED PAJAMAS. Read the book, the movie is super hard, or at least find out what it is about before you do it! OMG, the book alone made me cry!!! I can't go see the movie. just can't.

**Grand Canyon is an easy watch and the cultural differences span greatly but tie together nicely. I would suggest this one as there are enough characters to easily get you through the 5 minutes because with in the movie, the characters are learning empathy with their individual circumstances and experiences.

***Stand and Deliver will also get you through the 5 minutes for the same reason.
    You can get through your 5 minutes by how this movie changed your pre-conceived ideas about these people. While the gran canyon is a stacked deck of actors/actresses, stand and deliver is stacked with poor diversity and struggling to get ahead or stay afloat. Both is set in LA
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    What does your prof mean by "significant diversity content"? ...that is also vague to me... knowing what the course topics you have discussed would help

That is the course, Social & Cultural (Psychology) and I have NO idea what she means by that, honestly I can hardly understand half the crap she says because her Nigerian accent is so thick.

Ok, the assignment makes perfect sense to me. Watch a movie that involves cultural diversity/contention.

Lets look at
    It's about a rich community next to an ag community. A rich white dude wants to divert natural water flow to their community and keep it from the farmers. And a guy dies, which is pretty cool because you don't really know he's dead unless you pay attention.

Boys Don't Cry,
    It's about a a girl, who dresses and acts like a boy and falls in love. 'he' is found out and brutally assaulted Story is about Brandon in the midwest.

Stand and Deliver
    hispanic math teacher who encourages kids in LA to do better at math to get a high enough score to do good on the SATs and get into college. The class is diverse and and there are parts on each ethnic character and how education isn't very easy in their parts.

what I believe the teacher is looking for is how movies enlighten other people psychologically on other cultures and allow for them to have an understanding and empathy for them.

PASS ON THE BOY IN STRIPED PAJAMAS. Read the book, the movie is super hard, or at least find out what it is about before you do it! OMG, the book alone made me cry!!! I can't go see the movie. just can't.

I've wanted to see Boys Don't Cry for so long! I don't think netflix has it and there's no place around here to rent, but I'll definitely check. It'd be perfect for me. I just emailed her about Schindler's list to check and make sure it's okay. She's sooooooooooooo picky and I'm a transfer student so even though I'm on the dean's list and in Psi Chi I cannot seem to please this woman, especially since my APA skills are sub-par(last school didn't make us know APA which is ridiculous considering it's the only one used in most sciences!)
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Amelie
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Lets look at

Boys Don't Cry,

Stand and Deliver

I've wanted to see Boys Don't Cry for so long! I don't think netflix has it and there's no place around here to rent, but I'll definitely check. It'd be perfect for me. I just emailed her about Schindler's list to check and make sure it's okay. She's sooooooooooooo picky and I'm a transfer student so even though I'm on the dean's list and in Psi Chi I cannot seem to please this woman, especially since my APA skills are sub-par(last school didn't make us know APA which is ridiculous considering it's the only one used in most sciences!)

**I re-edited my list, so check it out. Ask for grand canyon or stand and deliver, the others are really harsh. She's probably never even heard of The Milagro Beanfield War. Lord of the Flies is a good one, not too intense but sheds a lot of light on the social workings of the teenage mind, psychologically.
    The reason you don't want super sad is because you will have to give you a speech on a movie that made you cry. Yes it's moving..touching, real.. and will make you cry like a baby. getting through that kind of speech will make it that much harder.
    for this, she'll probably accept stand and deliver.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hotel Rwanda:

The true-life story of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who housed over a thousand Tutsi refugees during their struggle against the Hutu militia in Rwanda.

“In three short, cruel months, between April and July 1994, Rwanda experienced a genocide more efficient than that carried out by the Nazis in World War II. The killers were a varied bunch: drunk extremists chanting ‘Hutu power, Hutu power’; uniformed soldiers and militia men intent on wiping out the Tutsi Inyenzi, or ‘cockroaches’; ordinary villagers who had never themselves contemplated killing before but who decided to join the frenzy.”

Never condemned by the international ‘community,’ the RPF (Rwandan Patriotic Front) 'struggle’ was supported by powerful western agents and institutions, including the World Bank and the IMF, who shackled Rwanda with austerity programs in perfect synchronization with the RPF assault. This led to the heightened inculcation of structural violence throughout Rwanda.

The majority of people in Rwanda, besieged by the propaganda of competing factions—a spectrum of political interests aligned with or against the RPF or the Rwanda government of Juvenal Habyarimana—found scapegoats according to their positions in society.

Economic interests predominated as a few elites increasingly controlled the life or death of the many. The rising insurgency and structural violence provoked hostility amongst and between groups, and elites controlling media outlets of all stripes began to use their venues to sow ethnic rivalry as the veneer for the deeper agenda: class warfare.

The racism and segregation that played out in the Rwanda cataclysm of 1994, where there were very different conditions and outcomes between whites and blacks, continues to be played out today.

The telling and re-telling of the Rwanda ‘genocide’ story by its very nature revolves around a system of institutionalized segregation. Powerful whites in powerful ‘gatekeeper’ positions in the West hold a virtual monopoly over the information.

Alongside of them are the select voices of non-whites who validate the predominant discourse. These ‘experts’ include Alison des Forges; Roméo Dallaire; Philip Gourevitch; Victoria Brittain; Samantha Power; Mahmood Mamdani; and many, many others.

If truth is the first casualty in war, then those of us who are lucky observers must endlessly work to resurrect it.

In Central Africa, today, truth mingles with the souls of the dead, forsaken amidst the unheard cries of some seven million—mostly innocent people—whose life on this earth ground to a gruesome, meaningless conclusion.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I'm terrible with these things because I always prefer something a little different. Beauty and the Beast, Thumbelina, Rent. Dances with Wolves is a good movie.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OMG I HAVE THE PERFECT TWO MOVIES!!!!

Gummo or KIDS. Both by Harmony Korine. I know Gummo is on full video on Netflix and Youtube.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Go with a comedy.... Trading Places :)
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Gummo

Gummo is a 1997 American drama film written and directed by Harmony Korine, starring Jacob Reynolds, Jacob Sewell and Chloë Sevigny. The film is set in Xenia, Ohio, a small Midwestern town that had been previously struck by a devastating tornado. The loose narrative follows several main characters who find odd and destructive ways to pass time, interrupted by vignettes depicting other denizens of the town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NhA4dqI08

KIDS

The film features Chloë Sevigny, Leo Fitzpatrick, Justin Pierce, Harold Hunter, and Rosario Dawson, all of them in their debut performances. The film is centered on a day in the life of a group of sexually active teenagers in New York City and their unrestrained behavior towards sex and substance abuse (alcohol and other drugs) during the era of HIV in the mid-1990s.

Kids created considerable controversy upon its release in 1995, and caused much public debate over its artistic merit, even receiving an NC-17 rating from the MPAA.[4] It was later released without a rating and grossed $20 million at the worldwide box office.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Apocolypto or rabbit proof fence.. rumble fish is a good one too

or the classic breakfast club?
  • cashew1b
    cashew1b Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Romeo and Juliet??
  • hisgirl6575
    Options
    A Time to Kill--A young lawyer defends a black man accused of murdering two men who raped his 10-year-old daughter, sparking a rebirth of the KKK.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The Dukes of Hazzard? :-)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Crash...it's just a fu(ked up movie and shows us at our worst.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    So many good answers,
    now to get them approved and find on netflix.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Schindler's List is an amazing movie.