Water Weight?

Options
I've been losing fairly consistently until last week when I dropped 3-4 lb after a week of plateauing. Yesterday my weight jumped up 1.8 lb overnight, then another half pound this morning. I've been withing my calorie range for losing and assume a gain like this is just retaining water. Does that sound right? Also, if this has happened to you, how long did it take for the weight to drop off again?

Replies

• DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    did you eat late last night? or anything with lots of sodium?
  • kholloman
    kholloman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It happened to me last week. Initially it was 1.5 pounds but 2 days later it had jumped to 4.5 pounds total. Even my measurements went up! I was completely freaking out. Today I weighed (buck naked, after I peed lol) and was back to my regular weight. I think mine was due to my period and eating a ton of pizza on cheat day. My weight has always fluctuated wildly so I had myself convinced my 7.5lb weight loss was due to that and had nothing to do with me eating less and exercising. Yea, I lost it there for a while lol.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I record my weight every day. It fluctuates by about 5 pounds all the time. I know I've lost when the numbers it fluctuates between get smaller and I'll know I've gained if the numbers get higher, but, as long as it's within the five pounds, I don't worry about it. Personally I think weighing yourself daily can be really helpful. If you record it over a period of time, you will see that a few pounds up or down makes no difference and is part of a natural daily fluctuation.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I had a few days where I gained about 3 pounds and kept it on for about a day or so. I think it’s because that day I had a large amount of sodium. It took a few more days and now it’s gone. But I could feel the effects of the extra sodium and water weight.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    If you weigh everyday calculate a floating 5 day average, that will help you see a loss if you are typically all over the place. An old accounting trick...
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you weigh everyday calculate a floating 5 day average, that will help you see a loss if you are typically all over the place. An old accounting trick...

Good idea. I might have to try that. I have been graphing my weight daily and adding a trendline. As long as the trend keeps going down, I am happy, whether any particular day's weight is above or below.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I was so pissed off when I got on the scale this weekend. I was down to 151 last week and got on the scale this weekend after being under calories for almost a month..and had put back on 4 lbs. >:( It will be TOM in about a week and half so I am hoping that this is what is doing it and once that is over I'll drop em' like they are hot again. On another note I lost 1/2 inch in my thighs.
    And I just started tracking sodium today and was over by quite a bit. :( and that's with not adding salt to anything. This could get tough for me. I don't add salt but apparently I eat stuff that has a lot of it in it and I didn't realize it before. ARGH