How much protein after lifting weights?

Options
So I know the importance of protein after lifting weights and how it can help building muscles. How many grams do you really need for it to be effective? Is there a point where after so many grams it's just extra? Can too much after a workout be harmful?

I appreciate any information guys!
=D

Replies

• sirCed
    sirCed Posts: 16
    Options
    I BELIEVE IT HAS TO DO WITH YOUR BODY WEIGHT. CURRENTLY I TAKE 1GRAM PER POUND. I DONT WANT TO ADD ANY WEIGHT I ONLY WANT TO BURN IT. THERE IS ALSO A FORMULA YOU CAN DO. MUST CONTAINER HAVE THIS FORMULA LISTED ON THEM.
  • reedwill
    Options
    It is recommended to take in .8 grabs per pound of body weight to build muscle. As far as post workout I'd say 25-50 grams. Many protein drinks provide 20-25 grams per scoop and when mixed with milk you get around 30-40g which should be plenty for post workout. Protein first thing in morning, post workout, and right before bed are the most important times to take it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The only studies I have seen on this topic indicate that, when post-workout protein has any benefit at all, the break point seems to be 30g, with extra intake providing no additional benefit.
  • sirCed
    sirCed Posts: 16
    Options
    I HONESTLY DON'T THINK THERE IS A SET NUMBER. DO SOME REEARCH YOURSELF ON THIS SUBJECT. BLESSINGS
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • ironweber717
    Options
    After a workout you want to consume 15-30 grams of protein within the first hour. Best results are from shakes because it absorbs quickly. Then you want to consume another 15-20 within 2 hours of the workout but you want that from a good solid food protein. Like salmon, chicken or turkey.

Additionally you want to take in the higher protein for hard workouts and lower for "maintenance" workouts. .8 gram of protein per pound is good if your workouts are really hard. That figure is for your TOTAL daily consumption. That is the short version. You can get into some crazy calculations with carbs and protein intakes if you want.

"You can quit and no one will care, but you will always know."
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So I know the importance of protein after lifting weights and how it can help building muscles. How many grams do you really need for it to be effective? Is there a point where after so many grams it's just extra? Can too much after a workout be harmful?

I appreciate any information guys!
    =D

I like to get roughly 15-18g EAA per meal which gives me roughly 3-4g leucine. Research has shown roughly 15g EAA or roughly 3-4g leucine seems to maximize protein synthesis. So it depends on the protein source and that determines how many grams of protein I eat with a meal..

I don't go below 1g protein per lb of body weight..How many grams above that I go depends on my overall cals. How much of the other macro's I am consuming and of course what my goals are. ..remember, protein equals calories too.