Women: Weight gain before period while on birth control

Options
So women, it's hard to find info on google, and wanted to ask for people's real experiences.

Last week the scale said I was up 2-3 pounds for a sustained period (1 week or so), at first this concerned me, but then I got on the scale today and was back down to my pre freak-'retention' weight (with little additional work, honestly I have been eating worse this week because of a move).

Anyways. I just started birth control this month (3 weeks ago or so), and I realized that this was the week for my period. Which a weight gain before that time of the month is not unreasonable. However, on this pill, my period is INCREDIBLY light (honestly even a pantyliner is over kill it's so light). So, I'm wondering if even though I'm not really getting a 'period,' will I continue to see that 'monthly gain' on the scale?

Do you notice that with your pills/hormonal contraceptives?

I just want to make sure it's a "that time of the month" fluctuation, and understand if that will continue to happen in the future so I don't question what's up again (I weigh everyday so I can see that it wasn't just a fluctuation on weigh in day).

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Depending on the pill you are on, it can be very normal to have almost no flow.

I think only time will tell if you still have the monthly water retention. Your body will adjust to the pill over the next several months.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    The pill has made my periods really light and short, but I still get the bloating and weight gain before.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've had the same experience. Periods are lighter, and some months I even skip, but I still get bloated and retain extra water the week before. On the plus side my boobs don't get as sore as they used too and my tampon budget has gone down! :D
  • banks89202
    Options
    I have a horrible time of the month, on the pill or off. I am bloated and crampy every month :/
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's interesting.

Does anyone know why we retain water even when our periods are incredibly light to non-existent? /weird questions are weird?

I will definitely make sure not to see the scale and freak. I actually had NO IDEA what was happening, until I realized it was the start of "shark week."
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing today. I am on the pill and I didn't think we were supposed to get weight gain before our period anymore, but I have been.
  • janjones818
    Options
    I too am on the pill and still experience a 2-4 pound weight gain right before and during my period although its barely a period at all!
  • DoraDD
    DoraDD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just came across this topic now and I was very relieved. :)
    Basically, I weight myself every Monday to check my weight. I've been tracking everything I eat and how much I exercise on myfitnesspal (no cheating, I swear!). In the past, fitnesspal has been correct. When I followed this diet plan, I would lose up to 1kg (about 2 pounds) per week. I'm waiting for my TOM now (in 2 day's time) and was disappointed to see that I didn't lose any weight (I gained only a pound I think...thankfully that's not much but still, it bugs me).
    Plus, I'm on the pill (and have been for many years). I obviously experience weight gain before my TOM even with the pill but I was hoping to see if any of you know why? I mean biologically. I'm very interested. :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can't really tell in advance. Different pills affect different women differently... For me, I still feel bloated before my period despite being on birth control. But the whole business is easier and much lighter and there are hardly any cramps.
    But the sweets-craving and the bloating stayed for me.

Edit: starting a new pill can make you bloated for A WHILE. For me there was one pill that made me feel bloated for a whole month, and it's normal. Drink plenty of water - it helps.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yep! Always gain and I've been on it a few years! And I will bloat out aswell.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    That's interesting.

Does anyone know why we retain water even when our periods are incredibly light to non-existent? /weird questions are weird?

I will definitely make sure not to see the scale and freak. I actually had NO IDEA what was happening, until I realized it was the start of "shark week."

Lol shark week. I'm totally using this, thank you.

So I used to have a super light period on the pill too but after being off for a year and then starting it again, my periods are freakishly heavy. Do you think it has to do with the pill I'm taking? :o
  • DoraDD
    Options
    @brevislux - oh the cravings and the bloating obviously stayed with me too, but I do my best and fighting them both off. :)

@Rachel1992 - thank you so much! :D I'm obviously not the only one and your confidence on the matter just makes me feel so confident now :D

@ dinobunni - it takes a while for your hormones to stabilize after starting the pill/a new pill. I switched a few years ago from one pill to a much "lighter" one (with much less hormones). The side-effect was my periods becoming longer and heavier (and slightly more painful) because of the smaller intake of hormones. From my experience, the "heavier" the pill, the less you'll feel your period.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    Thanks Dora. :-)

When I hit PP for more medication, I'll tell them that my periods have been extremely heavy all year. Maybe they have a stronger dosage.
  • DoraDD
    Options
    Well I don't know which pill you're on but nevertheless, your gynecologist won't necessarily give you a stronger pill. Before taking the pill you have to take a few blood tests (this is recommended every year or so to check how they effect your hormone levels, blood sugar, liver etc.). They determine which pill is best for you based on the results, your age and so on (and if you're a smoker or not...you're not supposed to smoke while on the pill, but it's fairly acceptable while taking the lighter ones).

So if the professional thinks the stronger pill would be too much for you, then it's probably best to listen to him/her. :) mine hasn't steered me wrong yet! :D But by all means, go ahead and tell them your issue; you have nothing to lose. ^^
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

@Rachel1992 - thank you so much! :D I'm obviously not the only one and your confidence on the matter just makes me feel so confident now :D

For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives of the weight gain and bloating! I went on it for serious mood swings and really heavy flow (I had a very embarrassing incident in class when I was 15 after an hour!) and I'd fall to the ground in pain! So give me 2lbs and bloating all the way haha!! You are definitely not the only one and it's very natural :) be confident :flowerforyou: :drinker: xx
  • DoraDD
    Options
    Wow! You poor thing. Well I luckily didn't get my aunt's genes. She's almost 60 now but when she did have her period, she would have convulsions, cramps and would throw up all the time from the pain. :/ She would often be rushed to the hospital so...there are always worse cases :)