Which method do you use??

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Ok, this is my problem: I don't stick to the same weight training routine for at least 4 or 6 wks...I read too many books by personal trainers and they all have a different opinion. I just get frustrated, bored or confused and go back to the same old same old weight trng exercises.

What works best for you when it comes to weight training? More reps lighter weights? Less reps heavier weights? Pyramid technique? Dumbells? resistance bands? gym equipment? How many weeks you do the same routine?

I want to start a routine and stick with it for at least a month. I prefer to work at home and I have dumbells from 5lbs to 20lbs, an exercise band, ankle weights, a swiss ball, an 8lb medicine ball and a step for step aerobics that I can use as a bench.

I have no problem following a cardio routine. I do interval trng on my treadmill or I use my stationary bike at least 6 days a week. I have no problem varying my cardio workouts.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    Ok, this is my problem: I don't stick to the same weight training routine for at least 4 or 6 wks...I read too many books by personal trainers and they all have a different opinion. I just get frustrated, bored or confused and go back to the same old same old weight trng exercises.

What works best for you when it comes to weight training? More reps lighter weights? Less reps heavier weights? Pyramid technique? Dumbells? resistance bands? gym equipment? How many weeks you do the same routine?

I want to start a routine and stick with it for at least a month. I prefer to work at home and I have dumbells from 5lbs to 20lbs, an exercise band, ankle weights, a swiss ball, an 8lb medicine ball and a step for step aerobics that I can use as a bench.

I have no problem following a cardio routine. I do interval trng on my treadmill or I use my stationary bike at least 6 days a week. I have no problem varying my cardio workouts.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Less reps, heavier weights will bulk you up! Stick with more reps, less weight (3 to 5 lbs). Change up your routine every other week. Do not work every body part every day! Your body needs a break! Make two different schedules.

Monday - Arms and cardio
    Tues - Legs and Abs
    Weds - Cardio and Yoga (if you want)
    Thurs - Legs and Cardio
    Fri - Arms and Yoga
    Sat - Cardio and Abs
    Sun - NOTHING!!

This is just an example but you get the idea!

Then make another week but in a different routine!

Then switch out each week. Just remember not to work out EVERYDAY!! Your body needs a break! But at the same time, do not fall behind on your diet! Maybe that day lessen your calorie intake.

Good luck! And do not do anything you cannot handle!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Mon
    cardio warm up
    back
    cardio

Tues
    cardio warm up
    chest sholder
    cardio

Wed
    cardio warm up
    legs and butt
    cardio

Thur
    cardio warm up
    tri and bi-ceps
    cardio

Fri
    cardio 45 min
    abs
    cardio

Sat and Sun-run after the kids and the dogs-family days

each week I try to add one more rep to each set.
    I flop it around each week too.
    I rotate my cardio-one day treadmill, next stair master, swim, elip, until I run out of machines
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That depends on your goal...

You should stick with a program for 4-8 weeks. Within those weeks, you need to increase the intensity of your workouts once they become easy. You can do this by increasing the weight, sets, or repetitions, or changing your rest time between sets.

Free weights and dumbells are excellent for resistance training since they require you to stabilize and balance the weight, so you are engaging more muscles than you would be while using machines. However, machines work well if you are uncomfortable with form.

Resistance bands work well also, for similar reasons as freeweights. But with resistance bands you can do some movements you can't do with freeweights, like thigh abductions and adductions.

Okay, here's the thing about repetitions: No rep range will make you bulky. None. You are a female, and you don't produce much testosterone. You grow in response to growth hormone (GH), and it takes a caloric excess, a specific type of training, and a LONG time to gain muscle mass. If you can gain 5 lbs of muscle mass in a YEAR, that is STELLAR. If you are getting 'bulky', it's because you're not losing fat and you're experiencing a bit of muscle growth due to your diet and training. I train specifically for size in my upper body, and I assure you I am far from bulky.

So here they are and here's what they do:

Strength/Power: (Type IIb fibers, thick, anaerobic) 1-5 repetitions, 1-5 sets, 2-5 minutes rest. This causes MINUSCULE (if any) muscle growth. This causes neuromuscular changes to increase strength. Long rests prevent GH release. This is VERY heavy...1 rep is the max you can lift on a certain exercise. This is something you need a spotter for.

Hypertrophy: (Type IIa fibers, medium, anaerobic) 6-15 repetitions, 2-5 sets, 30-90 seconds rest. This causes MAXIMUM muscle growth. It increases the size of contractile units and the number of oxygen-utilizing units in the muscle cells, causing them to swell. Short rests and the buildup of lactic acid (the burn) promote GH release. This is the most common range for training and doesn't always need a spotter.

Endurance (Type I fibers, thin, aerobic): 15-20 repetitions, 2-3 sets, 30-90 seconds rest. This causes MODERATE muscle growth. It increases the number of oxygen-utilizing units in the muscle cells, causing them to swell, , but doesn't result in lactic acid buildup. These fibers are also used in running, walking, etc.

Most people think that heavy weight causes bulk because it works thicker muscle fibers. However, they are the size of a human hair, and without hypertrophy (growth) they won't get any bigger. When you focus on training one type of fiber, it will make adaptations, and the others won't change much, except in cases where aerobic types become anaerobic types.

If you're fairly new, you can perform resistance training 3X a week with a day's rest in between. You can work your whole body in each session, or do an upper/lower body split. As long as you're hitting each body part (arms, shoulders, chest, back, thighs, calves) once a week, you're good. You will have to determine which rep range is good for you based on your goals. Basic resistance training moves include:
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Shoulder Press/Raise
    Biceps Curls
    Triceps Extensions
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Squats
    Lunges
    Calf Raises

Those will work all of your body parts, and you can modify them. Check out exerciserx or bodybuilding.com (and no bodybuilders aren't all bulky blockheads lol) for videos and pictures about them.

Aerobics you can do as little as 3X a week for 30 min, or 6X a week if you like. I use cardio to increase my caloric deficit and improve my CV health, so I always keep my HR between 65-90% of my MHR. Other than that, I don't really pay much attention to it....sometimes I do intervals, sometimes elliptical.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!! Songbyrd, thank you so much for taking the time to give me all that great info!!! I will definitely check out the websites recommended and follow your suggestions. I think I am more interested in the second suggestion (Hypertrophy). I think it will speed up my metabolism and help my body burn more calories at rest due to muscle growth, right? I really need to work on my upper body strength...I tend to have weak shoulders and pectorals. Also I need a little natural "uplift" if you know what I mean...I know there was a post not too long ago on that. Are pushups the best to lift me up?? If I do them on my knees, is that good enough?? I really hate doing real pushups. And Songbyrd, Happy 21ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Ok, I really need to go to bed!! Good night!!!!!!!!!!! :yawn:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    chest flyes and chest presses will give you the same "boost" if you really hate pushups.
    Just FYI.:flowerforyou: