Running Question

I run for 20 mins Mon-Wed-Fri and do around 3km in this time (non-stop). This is high intensity work out for me and I'm sweating a lot by the end.
I'm mainly just running for a little weight loss (only need to lose ~10kg) and to keep fit for soccer etc
I see that a lot of people suggest running for longer but slower- but i struggle with the mind thing of keeping on going. an ipod helps but 20mins is agony for my focus as it is. So i just run as fast as i can in that time.
I'm doing a 5km fun run in 1 month and a 12km (not so fun)-run in november. if i keep doing 20mins, will it be enough?
I don't really want to run for longer due to time constraints and the mental aspect.......

(i also play 90mins competitive soccer game on sundays, 30mins competitive futsal (indoor soccer) on mondays, light soccer practice for 60mins on wednesdays and 30mins light strength training tues/thurs/sat.)

Any help would be appreciated =)

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    I run for 20 mins Mon-Wed-Fri and do around 3km in this time (non-stop). This is high intensity work out for me and I'm sweating a lot by the end.
    I'm mainly just running for a little weight loss (only need to lose ~10kg) and to keep fit for soccer etc
    I see that a lot of people suggest running for longer but slower- but i struggle with the mind thing of keeping on going. an ipod helps but 20mins is agony for my focus as it is. So i just run as fast as i can in that time.
    I'm doing a 5km fun run in 1 month and a 12km (not so fun)-run in november. if i keep doing 20mins, will it be enough?
    I don't really want to run for longer due to time constraints and the mental aspect.......

(i also play 90mins competitive soccer game on sundays, 30mins competitive futsal (indoor soccer) on mondays, light soccer practice for 60mins on wednesdays and 30mins light strength training tues/thurs/sat.)

Any help would be appreciated =)
    for the 5k, yes 20 minutes should give you enough fitness to run a 5k, as for a 12k nope not a hope. you need to be running for 50 minutes at least, Saying that if you can't be bothered to train for the 12k you could alway walk.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    I would recommend interval training. This will help with your weight loss, fit in with your schedule and (most importantly!) condition your body for football. When I played at a fairly high standard, the coaches moved from distance training to interval training - this is what the professionals do now - gone are the days of 10 miles runs to get fit!

http://running.about.com/od/trainingessentials/f/fartleks.htm
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    for the 5k, yes 20 minutes should give you enough fitness to run a 5k, as for a 12k nope not a hope. you need to be running for 50 minutes at least, Saying that if you can't be bothered to train for the 12k you could alway walk.
    yeah i doubt i could ever run for 50mins. just mentally. obviously i run for 90mins in soccer but its easier when you are chasing a soccer ball!! thank you for your help.
    I would recommend interval training. This will help with your weight loss, fit in with your schedule and (most importantly!) condition your body for football. When I played at a fairly high standard, the coaches moved from distance training to interval training - this is what the professionals do now - gone are the days of 10 miles runs to get fit!
    that does sound interesting, i will trying doing that. do you think it would help for 12km run though?
    i wouldn't usually bother with a 12 km run, but my mum wants to do it. bleh. =)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

You missed to OPs mention of a 12km run. The days of the long run are not gone for those training for a long run.......
    that does sound interesting, i will trying doing that. do you think it would help for 12km run though?

No, you need to put in the time and distances if you're going to do 12km, If you don't want to do it don't do it (my mother wanted me to do a lot of things........:wink: )
  • Wonderob

Absolutely it will help

Google 'interval training for marathons' and see what the experts say
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Absolutely it will help

Have you ever done a distance race?

Intervals form part of a distance runners training plan but if you take the time to do some research you'll find that a long slow run is also an integral part of the plan too. It's one thing to have the aerobic capacity to run a longer race but you also need to develop the mental stamina and your body needs to adapt to the stresses involved.
  • Wonderob

Absolutely it will help

Have you ever done a distance race?

Intervals form part of a distance runners training plan but if you take the time to do some research you'll find that a long slow run is also an integral part of the plan too. It's one thing to have the aerobic capacity to run a longer race but you also need to develop the mental stamina and your body needs to adapt to the stresses involved.

A long slow run sue is an integral part of the plan - I agree totally

My point as per my first post was that interval training will help wright loss, fit into the time constraints and help him train for his football

He then asked if it will help his distance running and I replied that it will help

It won't do everything he needs, but no doubt it will help
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Running is a mental game, so you either need to get over the issue of not running for more than 20 mins and go do some longer runs, or just stick with your shorter runs and not do distance races.

For your 5k you should be fine without any more prep, but as everyone else said, for a 12k, you need to start increasing your runs and time on your feet. Increase no more than 10% per week. But the increase will help prevent injury and will increase you indurance.

You could try just adding in time, not distance right now. Say run for 22 mins, than 24 mins, etc...that way you increase your time slowly to get over your metal block. What is another 2 mins to run, when you already ran 20, right? :smile:

If I did everything my mom wanted me to, I wouldn't be the person I am today. If you really don't want to do the 12k and aren't prepared to put the training in, you need to have an honest discussion with her. I am sure she doesn't want you to risk an injury just for a recreational race.

Good Luck!
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    You could try just adding in time, not distance right now. Say run for 22 mins, than 24 mins, etc...that way you increase your time slowly to get over your metal block. What is another 2 mins to run, when you already ran 20, right?
    That's true, I'll try adding 1-2 mins at a time.

My point as per my first post was that interval training will help wright loss, fit into the time constraints and help him train for his football. He then asked if it will help his distance running and I replied that it will help. It won't do everything he needs, but no doubt it will help
    SHE... not he. haha. but yes thank you, been very helpful

and yeah I do want to do the 12km, but will see how mum is going with her training. I can always jog some, walk some. Or see how I go with increasing minutes slowly and actually do 12km.
  • Wonderob
    You could try just adding in time, not distance right now. Say run for 22 mins, than 24 mins, etc...that way you increase your time slowly to get over your metal block. What is another 2 mins to run, when you already ran 20, right?
    That's true, I'll try adding 1-2 mins at a time.

My point as per my first post was that interval training will help wright loss, fit into the time constraints and help him train for his football. He then asked if it will help his distance running and I replied that it will help. It won't do everything he needs, but no doubt it will help
    SHE... not he. haha. but yes thank you, been very helpful

'Football' therefore I assumed it was a guy

Shame on me!!! Genuinely sorry
  • clairemc26
    clairemc26 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm an advocate of slow running since my only goal is to keep running for the rest of my life. Slower runners get injured less, enjoy it more and keep going for longer.

To work out what slow means for you, and to keep your interest up, trying running with a heart rate monitor which will measure effort rather than speed/time. If you look on a forum like Runners World you'll see loads of advice about this. You'll also find references to the 'fat burning zone', usually thought of as 70% of your maximum heart rate, but the idea has fans and detractors in equal measures.

Absolutely no use to you if you're more motivated by knocking the minutes off your personal best, obviously.

Either way - good luck. I started running to lose weight 15 years ago and kept it up. One of the key things is to keep at it long enough to feel the benefits, then you'll never look back.