Any women using protein shakes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use a vanilla whey protein powder, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of 40 cal. almond milk. Put in blender until smooth. The frozen fruit acts as the ice to make it nice, thick and creamy. Or sometimes I use half banana and half cup of frozen strawberries. Love them both. I usually have this for lunch.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just started using them to add on muscle. I take Soy Protein if I'm not working out as a supplement to my meals, or I'll take Whey Protein post workout.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I see everybody posting on protein shakes.. and i use one that tastes like a cake mix.. and its very nutritional for you! I have tried so many other ones out there and they all tasted so horrible! I lost 50 lbs and feel amazing right now ( im 5'11 and 185 lbs) ..

one other thing that people do not realize that the nutrional values of a shake are about what it would take for $21 worth of the same items in food! Plus a shake only runs around a $1.50 a serving.. so not only are you eating healthier but at the same time your saving money .. With an average meal cost today around $6 .. your saving $9 a day ..or $270 a month.. adds up to $3240 in a year.

The shakes i use .. the company does offer the opportunity to earn yours free very easy.. i actually only paid the first month and every since have gotten them free

I'd be happy to share if you feel like adding me and shoot me a message!

Nice try....STOP TRYING TO SELL ON MFP!! Reported...
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some powder the other day to supplement my protein intake. I got a chocolate flavor and have so far mixed it straight with milk, in a shake with greek yogurt, banana and almond milk, and also in my morning oatmeal. All three ways were delicious! I try and get most of my protein from food but I rarely seem to get enough that way.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I used to take them after lifting weights at the gym but most of the time I forget. It's definitely a good thing for your body.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I drink them often.
    Whey protein vanilla or chocolate.
    I use fat free milk most of the time add in half banana or some pumpkin or peanut butter.

Great way to end a workout or to start your morning! Yet it can get high in calories if you don't watch...
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Nothing wrong with protein shakes. I used to do Isopure from GNC. But there's too many calories, esp if you add milk, so I'd rather get my protein straight from the source and with fewer calories so now I eat fish/chicken instead.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I make my own with either PlantFusion (plant based protein powder) or Hemp powder (also plant based protein), I also use unsweetened almond milk as my base, berries or other fresh/frozen fruit (w/out sugar) and generally 1-2 cups of greens or spinach + 2 tsp - 1 TBSP of raw almond butter. I usually have one for breakfast 2-3x per week.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm having one right now. If you have a husband, boyfriend, and/or lover, he can also help you.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use the Atkins premade shakes. The Choclate Delight one is pretty good.

I use Kroger Whey/soy protein powder to add to my smoothies (vanilla) and it's grainy but ok
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I like MRM 100% whey mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Check and recheck your macros. Do you really NEED a protein shake in order to hit your protein requirement for the day? A lot of women mistakenly drink these thinking it's a "magic pill" coupled with a few minutes on the elliptical and BAM! Weight loss!

If you're a bodybuilder and lifting super heavy then yes, by all means indulge in protein shakes. You ladies know what you're doing.

If your main goal is fat loss I say skip the protein shakes and get protein from whole, real food. You're probably consuming more calories/sugar/protein/whatever than you need to be.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I use them on occasion where i wouldnt typically eat breakfast or lunch, or after a typically hard workout session to help rebuild and repair muscles.

I do not rely on them soley. I do not use them as a "replacement" all of the time. I do use them when I am short on time, or if i get hungry and im on the road. It IS a far better choice than McDonalds or whatever.

I use Body by Vi for the taste, price and nutrition. It's my choice. I do not care to hear others opinions on it because it will not alter my decision. :smile:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Standard morning fair for me - I use Optimum Nutrition, plus fiber, cherry fruit extract and almond milk (unsweetened).

Sometimes I do another for lunch - but w/ some chocolate PB2 for flavor.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the MUSCLE MILK SUPER EXTREME WHEY BLAH BLAH ones. I have the tiny little Special K ones for breakfast on days where I have no time to prepare oatmeal. They come in vanilla, chocolate & strawberry & are very delicious & satisfying (:
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have them for breakfast every morning. Designer Whey Protein. Only 100 calories a scoop. I have them all sorts of ways. Troll my diary to get some suggestions :)
  • topsykretes
    Options
    Yes, I love the Ideal Shape shakes and line of products.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have one every day for breakfast. I am currently drinking natures best, Isopure zero carb cookies and cream.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Check and recheck your macros. Do you really NEED a protein shake in order to hit your protein requirement for the day? A lot of women mistakenly drink these thinking it's a "magic pill" coupled with a few minutes on the elliptical and BAM! Weight loss!

If you're a bodybuilder and lifting super heavy then yes, by all means indulge in protein shakes. You ladies know what you're doing.

If your main goal is fat loss I say skip the protein shakes and get protein from whole, real food. You're probably consuming more calories/sugar/protein/whatever than you need to be.

I hear your skepticism, but I brought my protein powder to my doctor to make sure I was doing something healthy. She said that protein powders are very healthy. She said that sometimes we get scared when we look at the list of ingredients, but she reaffirmed that the one I use at least is good for you.