10 reasons to not eat wheat?

Options
Opinions on this please.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psnn9ttL6A0

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to watch.

If you have Celiac disease, don't eat wheat. Otherwise, people have been eating it for THOUSANDS of years.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to eat wheat then for no reason 18 months ago I started to get really bad stomach pains and excessive bloating to the point where I bent over to fasten my shoe lace and felt a ripping feeling which was a hiatus hernia happening!
    I now avoid it like the plague, and although I get a bit of aching from the hernia if I eat too much, I'm fine and can get on with my life!
    This is my reason for not eating wheat.

It has been eaten for centuries, but it has been modified through the years by man, it's nothing like the first farmers grew.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I used to wake up with a headache every single morning. Since I stopped eating grains, I stopped waking up with headaches.

I also don't look 6 months pregnant from being bloated anymore.

Never had a problem with acne, but I did comment to my husband the other day that my skin is becoming less oily.

I could eat 4 servings of chicken alfredo, along with half a loaf of garlic bread. There's no telling how many calories I was taking in. Making an alfredo recipe without noodles, without bread, I was so full from one serving.

I am sleeping throughout the night on a regular scedule, something I haven't done in many years. I wake up so much easier, and my husband says he loves the fact that I'm MUCH LESS grumpy in the mornings. I also don't go back to bed after my kids get on the bus.

And I genuinely FEEL GOOD overall.

Cutting out grains has done a WORLD of GOOD for me. I agree with everything in that video.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There are people that legitimately have issues with gluten.

There are people that do not have any issues with gluten or wheat.

If you fall into the former group, you should reduce/eliminate your consumption of gluten.
    If you fall into the latter, you don't need to eliminate it.

And it's unfortunate that many people who demonize a particular food item or entire food group, don't recognize this.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't get bloated anymore, and I can eat lots more veggies if you skip the bread, pasta, tortilla, etc. I fine I feel better not eating wheat. It is up to you. Try it you might like it. Yes. I do have a piece(small) of bread once in a while and then get gas. :embarassed:
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

If you fall into the former group, you should reduce/eliminate your consumption of gluten.

And it's unfortunate that many people who demonize a particular food item or entire food group, don't recognize this.

exactly.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Agree
    People have the mentality "if it doesn't work for me it can't work for anyone".
    I see the same thing with people saying to not do certain excercises, drink milk, etc.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    And then ... There are people that have issues with gluten and don't realise it.

Hey, if you're serious about your health then going on a 30 day elimination regime can't harm.

If you don't see any benefit, go back to it, simple :)

I don't eat grains because I feel and look better without them and I can get my nutrition better elsewhere without the potentially harmful effects.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If you have Celiac disease, don't eat wheat. Otherwise, people have been eating it for THOUSANDS of years.

^This

I quit buying bleached flour, but that's as far as I'm going. :tongue:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Well, you may not watch but I can find the time to read and think ...

We have been on this planet for WAY longer than THOUSANDS of years.

And the wheat we eat today bears little resemblance to that of even 50 years ago.

Take a wider view and it makes sense, we don't need it.
  • rml_16
    Options

And the wheat we eat today bears little resemblance to that of even 50 years ago.

:flowerforyou:
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    And then ... There are people that have issues with gluten and don't realise it.

Hey, if you're serious about your health then going on a 30 day elimination regime can't harm.

If you don't see any benefit, go back to it, simple :)

I don't eat grains because I feel and look better without them and I can get my nutrition better elsewhere without the potentially harmful effects.

This is me. I may not have full blown medical issues, but I never knew something as simple as wheat had such a negative effect on my body.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

We don't need chocolate either, but that's no reason to eliminate it from my diet.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Opinions on this please.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psnn9ttL6A0

I like wheat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

We don't need chocolate either, but that's no reason to eliminate it from my diet.

Speaking of chocolate and wheat, I had chocolate-covered puffed wheat for breakfast. Yum! :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    Options

Speaking of chocolate and wheat, I had chocolate-covered puffed wheat for breakfast. Yum! :bigsmile:

That's just asking for the gallows right there. You broke the law, missy!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    And the wheat we eat today bears little resemblance to that of even 50 years ago

Yes, and this is why people have so many issues with wheat. It's been so genetically altered that it's not even close to what it was 50 years ago.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think it is interesting. really wish there had been some wheat alternatives listed though. so if you want pasta or a sandwich you know what to replace those with.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options

TECHNICALLY humans have only been around for 200-400 THOUSAND years, and modern humans about 70 THOUSAND. :tongue:
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    And the wheat we eat today bears little resemblance to that of even 50 years ago

Yes, and this is why people have so many issues with wheat. It's been so genetically altered that it's not even close to what it was 50 years ago.

Exactly!

That said we haven't eliminated wheat at our house, but we have cut way back after reading "Wheat Belly"