I give up deciding what is healthy or not.....

Options
Everytime I seem to eat something at work, people are like 'oh that's not healthy!' Is my diet really that bad?! I give up with people critising me all the time! I have lost 3 and half stone (49Ibs) since when I was at my biggest so surely that is saying something? Should I really be listening to these people or just keep going as I am? I still need to loose another 56Ibs so I need to know whether I am still going to decrease with what I am eating. Any help would be great and my diary is open to all.

Thanks

Replies

• rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It does not look bad to me, The only thing I would say is to increase your water intake. Try drinking 11 cups a day. This will help numerous things.
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I am trying to drink lots of water its hard when your phone rings constantly at work. But will deffo try even more!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    People are rotten. Your diet looks pretty balanced to me. And you have already had so much success. Maybe the people you work with should take notes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Everytime I seem to eat something at work, people are like 'oh that's not healthy!' Is my diet really that bad?! I give up with people critising me all the time! I have lost 3 and half stone (49Ibs) since when I was at my biggest so surely that is saying something? Should I really be listening to these people or just keep going as I am? I still need to loose another 56Ibs so I need to know whether I am still going to decrease with what I am eating. Any help would be great and my diary is open to all.

Thanks

Assuming you're eating a varied diet and assuming you have at least a moderate amount of common sense (for example, not filling your entire carb macro with pop tarts), then I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

Going from obese or overweight to a healthy weight will have a significant impact on your health.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't see anything particularily unhealthy in your diary. Personally my aim is to eat clean (well, 85% of time ) but I understand that not everyone does this. People have different ideas about what is healthy. Some will go clean, some vegetarian or even vegan and some go very low carb and claim it is the only way. I guess, do wjhat works for you. And congrants on your weightloss!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Anything can be healthy in moderation. Think about what's healthy for your body, but also for your mind. You'll go insane trying to restrict things that are arbitrarily labelled unhealthy.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if what you are doing is working, don't worry about them.

I am pretty well known at work for not partaking in the candy and cakes and other junk we typically have around. The other day, I ate a piece of baklava and the outcries were rediculous - "Mark, you KNOW that isn't healthy, right?!" "OMG, are you actually eating?!"

I know that they were just joking for the most part, but people usually joke about things that annoy them. I just told them that I eat whatever I want, and baklava is worth it's calories, but most of the junk that is usually in the office just isn't worth it. Some of them were like "oh, that makes sense" the others kept making a big deal about it. Either way, I could care less if they "get it". I eat what I want, its my body, and I don't mind making my own path.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel that because you are dieting 1. They can feel free to comment on everything you eat. It is just rude. and 2. You can't have anything good or fun. The people at work need to mind their business and realize that everything in moderation is the way to a healthy lifestyle. It looks like you are doing a great job and eating fairly balanced. Keep doing what you are doing and you will get there.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is such and individual journey. As you lose more weight, it will come off slower, and what worked to start with may not work as well towards the end. At that point, you may want to change some things.

As long as it is working your you, tell them that advise is appreciated but support would be more welcome! Keep up the good work!!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One thing I have discovered is that everyone has their own idea of what is healthy. So maybe it wouldn't hurt to write down your definition of healthy so when you plan your meals you can feel good about the choices you make. For instance, I am eating clean, which means that I try to eat things in its most natural state and no added sugars or processed foods. It took me a while to realize that butter was not a processed food (sorta) but margerine is. Everyone is always saying that margerine is healthier, so once I realized what my definition of healthy is, I was OK with using butter. (Keep in mind I'm not slathring everything in butter Paula Deen style, but occasionally if I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich I'll put butter on the bread to toast it...stuff like that).

I think the bottom line is once you are comfortable with your definition of healthy and know what fits into that definition, it shouldn't matter if other people think its not healthy. All you have to say is "Thanks for your concern, but it fits nicely into my meal plan."
  • geisharunner219
    Options
    I had coworkers tell me the same thing a few weeks ago when I was eating Reese's cups (a weakness of mine). "How can that be in your diet?!" "Uhh... cuz I'm not going over my calorie goal.."

If it's not broke... don't fix it! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some people think if something has a hint of a carbohydrate in it, it isn't healthy. If you're eating a well-balanced diet with produce, lean protein and whole grains (mostly), you're eating healthy.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One thing I have discovered is that everyone has their own idea of what is healthy. So maybe it wouldn't hurt to write down your definition of healthy so when you plan your meals you can feel good about the choices you make. For instance, I am eating clean, which means that I try to eat things in its most natural state and no added sugars or processed foods. It took me a while to realize that butter was not a processed food (sorta) but margerine is. Everyone is always saying that margerine is healthier, so once I realized what my definition of healthy is, I was OK with using butter. (Keep in mind I'm not slathring everything in butter Paula Deen style, but occasionally if I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich I'll put butter on the bread to toast it...stuff like that).

I think the bottom line is once you are comfortable with your definition of healthy and know what fits into that definition, it shouldn't matter if other people think its not healthy. All you have to say is "Thanks for your concern, but it fits nicely into my meal plan."

Yes this! Everyone has their own idea of "healthy" and even if you are eating something un-healthy, we're human, it's allowed ONCE IN A WHILE AND IN MODERATION. I know I have to watch my sodium (too much) and protein (too little), other people watch their carbs, others still are vegan or vegitarian, my uncle cannot process red meat so he eats lots of poultry and fish. Do what is best for you, if you're concerned about something ask your doctor. I like the response "Thanks for your concern, but it fits nicely into my meal plan".
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    These are probably the same people who stand behind you when you are playing bridge or chess and say,"you know what to play now, don't you".
    Suddenly, everyone is an expert. The answer is, "Yes! It is extremely healthy FOR ME - what are you having?" (even if you are about to tuck into a KFC [which you wouldn't be, of course!].).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary for the last few days, you are eating a LOT healthier than I do. Keep doing what you're doing and EFF the haters! :tongue:
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am choosing to ignore it all now. I am doing fine as I am, so gonna keep going and if I start to slow down then perhaps re-think what I am eating. Thank you all, for keeping me going! Yes I have my bad days of eating when I am going to a party or round a friends but I try to reduce my calories the next day if I go over or just eat small amounts. Thanks!!
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This.>>>>
    Weight loss is such and individual journey. As you lose more weight, it will come off slower, and what worked to start with may not work as well towards the end. At that point, you may want to change some things.

As long as it is working your you, tell them that advise is appreciated but support would be more welcome! Keep up the good work!!
  • andi12589
    Options
    i agree with so many posts here. some people love to comment on what others are eatiing/not eating. stay focused on you and your amazing success!
  • sherise1214
    sherise1214 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel that because you are dieting 1. They can feel free to comment on everything you eat. It is just rude. and 2. You can't have anything good or fun. The people at work need to mind their business and realize that everything in moderation is the way to a healthy lifestyle. It looks like you are doing a great job and eating fairly balanced. Keep doing what you are doing and you will get there.

I have experienced this time and time again. I have made it a point to not even mention to many people that I am doing any program, or caloric restriction, or they all become the food police. I plan to eat everything within moderation. I do not plan to "diet" I am making lifestyle changes. Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Calories and health are not the same.

Diet coke is horrible for your health (aspartame).
    Soy is an endocrine disruptor, so also horrible.